West Lothian Council

West Lothian Council Employee Reviews

OK place to work, left alone to get on with it,the only downside to it all was that the place was full of back stabbers and liars.good vans and equipment and safety.
There is no forward planning or progression stragey within this company, therefor after 15 years with the organisation i need to expand my horizons and seeak new inspirations.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
No prospects
I have never got this kind of experience. The colleagues are very well organised and ready to help each other. I learnt to deal with difficult situation and how to handle pressure on work.
Pros
We had night outs and office lunch.
Cons
Flexible hours of work
Residents are lovely staff work hard to give them the best of care fully dedicated.1 Duty Manager has a wife who works there and they get same shifts,same days off same holidays also when bith on a backshift they sit in the office together
Pros
Residents
Cons
Manager and Duty Managers
Employed as admin support to social workers. Working on reception and meeting and greeting clients, visitors and suppliers. On-site learning. Management treated you as part of their team. Everybody helped each other. Hardest part was being unable to help upset clients. Most enjoyable was being thanked for the effort we all made and being part of a happy team. .
Poor wages, top heavy management. Slow paced work with no skill or organisation. No training or tools provided. Pay 40% less than the going rate for tradesmen.
I enjoy working with the local council. I have a good work live balance. I have found my colleagues to be supportive and helpful which has helped me settle in my new role.
Would not recommend working here many days spent doing nothing despite asking for work. Higher paid contract staff brought in when not needed to do the same amount of skiving. Absolute joke
Not a great employer because of the climate. Government has kicked the life out of it with all the cuts. Managers that forget they were workers once and now have to justify their jobs.
good to work with ur own crew,dont back chat your surperiors and management as they would put u on the worst jobs going. and the hardest part is the management dont want to help.friday was the best part of job as it was a short day
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at West Lothian Council?
day can begin at 7am and you hit the ground running ,breakfast is always a favourite mealtime .I've learned so much about mental health and illness relating to old age . the hardest part of the job is when our clients pass away ,we get to know them so well they become like family . The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that the clients enjoy the work I do .
brilliant great colleagues fantastic buildings great pay good teaching assistants motivated staff polite and lovely staff working throughput the towns and villages
Thay talk behind your back, put the knife in when thay can, far to many charge hands supervisors and bosses get rid at least half it then may a better place to work
Pros
early finish
Cons
bosses
Every one is easy to approach for any reason. day to day running of the shop is excellent and well presented. everyone is fun to work with. No two days are the same.
Challening environment to work in and manage client's expectations during a time of economic instability. Diverse client range- varying conditions, housing and financial situations.
i enjoyed my time as a youth worker job satisfaction great staff and excellent progression opportunities this job was voluntary at first but lead to myself being put on the payroll so i was very happy with this and it also lead to me going to college to study for three years in social care and i achieved the award of an H.N.C. in social services therefore this starting point is helping to achieve my goal in life of working with people in the community and this is good for my own mental health very satisfied with how things turned out and excited for new challenges ahead
Pros
free lunches transport paid for
Cons
challenging behaviour
totally loved working in the school.was the highlight of the week.The class teacher was understanding and taught me well on how to teach and communicate effectively with young children. Was a joy.
Pros
fun
Cons
no toilet breaks during class hours
Has job security and pention but no career prospects for promotion at my position (driver labourer) No equal workload for all employees (e.g workload not distributed equal,timescale and quality of work) Not all manual workers have equal rights for transport to and from work.
Pros
Job security
Cons
No career prospect at my position(driver, labourer)
I worked as a waste operative. Great place to work in and most people were friendly and easy to get on with. However, there were also some unlikable people too. The management gave you the option to request to move trucks.
Pros
Easy and simple job to do, working outdoors, interacting with general public.
Cons
Some unlikable people, lazy workers and can be a messy job at times.
I worked cleaning in Armadale primary school. I had my own department in which i looked after. it was very enjoyable job.I worked with a great team of people.
Pros
Off all the school holidays
Cons
Management structure is small, however there is a lack of appreciation for work done by staff. It is very much a case of "you will do"! Ideas are not acting upon and staff at times feel that management is totally disconnected from the work of staff.