West Mercia Police

West Mercia Police Employee Reviews

It's a busy and sometimes hectic control room environment. The work is varied and interesting. Although some of the supervision may lack people some skills, a majority of the staff are great. The training could be better.
Pros
Interesting and varied.
Cons
Training isn't great. Some office politics
I worked for WMP for 12 years being made redundant due to government cuts and relocating all services to Worcester where the HQ is based.. . I had treatment for breast cancer whilst employed by them chemotherapy and radiotherapy and 2 lumpectomies.. I was treated awfully during this time being forced to apply and attend an interview for my own job.. no care at all from them.
The West Mercia Cadets were a very immersive group which help children and teenagers with life skills and knowledge of policing. However, they don't focus enough on the policing aspect. If you want to learn about policing, do not go to the police cadets to do so.
Pros
Life skills
Cons
Not enough policing
Policing is an extremely stressful area of work and becoming more so every day. Ensure you have spoken to serving officers to ensure it is the right place to work for you.
30 year service completed. I had a great time, met some lovely people and have memories that will stay with me forever. I could have stayed on until I was 60 but I was keen to try my hand at something new so I retired and made way for someone new to take my place. Yes its demanding and challenging but where else can you see and experience what police officers deal with daily. Would thoroughly recommend.
Good challenging role with friendly colleagues. Very good training and updating on a regular basis during work time and organised on a regular basis supporting your role
Difficult to review given the role I have. However, if you work hard, you get the satisfaction of making a difference by helping to protect people from harm.
A Police force lacking funds, resources and trying to survive day by day. The force would benefit from investing in their welfare / support mechanisms for employees and make every option known to employees
In the five years I’ve been there I’ve requested changes to my days and hours three different times for personal reasons this has always been accommodated. The main criticism would be that the focus of all development and advancement is in police officers and staff are invisible in terms of any investment in development
Excellent Career Employer. With various opportunities in policing building on skills such as: security, law enforcement, conducting investigations, building and management of case files etc.
Transferring in think long and hard about it. Nice place to live. Work culture and ethos is somewhat bizarre. Think backward attitudes and policies. Largervforces actually care more about their staff.
The job has changed so much not for the better the I.T is put in and its not officer friendly driving officers mad with frustration you are not an officer your an I.T specialist now
One of the best police forces in the country with a good mix of work opportunities. All staff are valued for their contribution and diversity is fully embraced
No days the same, a chance to meet lots of people. Very good rate of pay, good leave entitlements, if you have a family my management have been fantastic for allowing time off.
West Mercia Police, like every public sector workplace, has experienced major cuts over the last 5 years. This has negatively affected morale and has increased workloads. However the staff on the whole are compassionate, hardworking and good teamplayers.
My time as a casual at West Mercia Police was excellent. I worked there in various capacities and enjoyed each one. The work was engaging and the pay was fair. My colleagues were great. I always knew where I stood. I would happily work for West Mercia Police again.
Lots of stress and politics within Policing. No resources and more work to do. Management do not understand the pressures on those doing the job. Need more backing from the Government with funding to tackle Crime and disorder.
Pros
great people to work alongside
Cons
long unsociable hours
People are usually very friendly and supportive, flexi working is great as you can have additional time for any hospital/dentist appointments without taking annual leave.
I was on a work placement for a week with west merica were we learnt about all the different job roles within the police force. I acted out scenarios and even watched them train the police dogs.
interesting environment of job, each day new experience, work independently, i would rate management very low as there was no action to improve job quality.
The two years I spent as a police cadet were amazing, I was given a huge insight towards being a member of the West Mercia Police Force. All staff were kind and friendly, even humorous at times!
Pros
Good Leader, flexible voluntary hours, fun
  1. Employee reviews