West Midlands Combined Authority logo
West Midlands Combined Authority

West Midlands Combined Authority Employee Reviews

Varied role with good people but limited options for progression

I worked in the Ticketing Delivery team and enjoyed the variety of different tasks that we carried out that covered a wide variety of public transport ticketing schemes. I got on very well with colleagues across the organisation and made many good friends during my 6 years there. I enjoyed working with a variety of different stakeholders internally and externally. My main disappointment was being unable to progress in the organisation and the lack of personal development opportunities available.

Terrible Leadership in Productivity & Skills

Considering this organisation represents local government and prides itself on being forward thinking, inclusive and progressive. It is a very rigid system, they do not stick to company values or company mission. I have seen how the senior leaders and management teams have belittled and pushed people out of the organisation vindictively! Which created a very toxic work environment. When concerns about this was raised, people where made to feel muted and issues ignored. Unfortunately the environment and work culture is unfriendly and there is very little room for progression.- If you're looking for an organisation that values staff, is inclusive across the leadership and productivity teams: you will unlikely find it here!- If you're looking for a organisation where creativity, innovation new ideas are welcomed, implemented and acknowledged: you will unlikely find it here!- If you're looking for a role where you are hoping to be developed, trained and invested in with the opportunity to progress: you will NOT find it here!- If you're looking for a organisation where you have the autonomy and freedom to make decisions and lead on your projects and workload forget it, you will be under immense pressure and micro managed, particularly when working from home.

Official response from West Midlands Combined Authority

8 June 2021
Thank you for raising these concerns. We take your comments very seriously and would like to give you the opportunity to speak with someone from our HR team, in confidence, to help us rectify the concerns that you have raised. If you would like to do this, please email us at careers@wmca.org.uk and someone from the team will be in touch.

Stay clear

Recruitment of a diverse senior leadership team would help support the ethos of the organisation as this is currently lacking.More should be done to tackle bad behaviour from on the onset instead of ignoring it. Senior management have ruined an organisation which had so much potential. The organisation needs good leaders who listen and take corrective action to address issues affecting staff morale instead of taking offence to the issues raised.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Senior management do not tackle issues head on but ignore them resulting in low morale in staff, Lack of diversity within the senior leadership team, even though they boast of being an equal opportunity employer

Fantastic place to work.

I worked for Transport for West Midlands, a part of the WMCA for three years'. A typical day..is never the same! There is always something to do and the general public are at the heart of the WMCA values and in what they do. I learnt a lot here, especially around stakeholder management, politics and the ambitious plans for the West Midlands, led by the Mayor of the WM. The culture of my team was just fantastic. Although at first, I didn't see this, when I left I realised just how good it was really was, especially for a public sector. It's a family, I mean yes, every place has it's ups and downs and pain points, but here it is a lot more relaxed, easy-going than the private sector. The hardest part - adjusting to change, and to be fair, it was fine at the end due to the support and reliance of management, this made the journey a lot easier. The most enjoyable part is the culture, the people and the work ethics - this is what I miss the most. I would strongly recommend this place to work.

Pros

Pension, flexible working

Cons

Office location, somewhat political

Great Organisation

Friendly organisation although with limited in staff numbers. Keen to develop staff Great working ethos and culture Limited resources i.e. personnel

Pros

As above

Cons

limited resources

Jobs at West Midlands Combined Authority