West Midlands Police

West Midlands Police Employee Reviews

I started 18 years ago and would have gone in for free!!Someone once told me that when the job stops being fun, it is time to leave which I did.My last years were filled with interviewing people who had insulted each other on Facebook, I would imagine that part of the job has worsened.The job used to be brilliant, arresting people who had done crimes ect, when I left it was a lot of social work, local authority work and just about anything that was nothing to do with policing.
Pros
pay
Cons
staying on duty, well after your hometime
I have enjoyed working for West Midlands police since 2002. There have been a number of development opportunities and I have developed well as a person because of it.
Worked as an officer for 11 years and the bullying that you can get was terrible! They take away all that you stand for and treat you like dirt if you don’t want or agree with their culture. I suffered terrible depression from bullying and just worked alone to save any horrible situations! I ended up being medically retired for an illness but relieved in a way . I would definitely not recommended this as a place for anyone to work
Pros
Member of the public
Cons
Bullying culture
Job can be very challenging and rewarding at times, long anti social hours but can be exciting, you have to expect sometimes your days off are cancelled or at the end of your shift you have to stay on, you may have to deal with vert traumatic incidents. However it is a secure job, can be exciting, adrenaline rushing and sometimes fun
Pros
rewarding
Cons
A lot to learn in a short space of time. I found the training hard and the nature of the job stressful. Also the shifts, I wasn't suited to the environment.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Shifts
If you like looking over your shoulder all day, this is for you. There is a culture of whistleblowing and you are expected to uphold standards that are difficult for a normal human being.
Busy and competitive working, physically demanding as well as mentally demanding./ lots of flexible working if it works within the department /team. very welcoming to a diverse work force, I am retiring from front line policing due to health reasons
I proudly worked as a civilian for over 20 years, dealing with the public face to face and via the phone. Once a very enjoyable and rewarding job and now no resemblance to the job I was interviewed for (also having to be re interviewed for your own job that you have years of experience was insulting) Poor management with more chiefs than Indians with staff under lots of pressure and stress and given more tasks added to job description with no regard for the wellbeing of the individual. Force contact is a shambles with management wondering why staff sickness levels are high especially with mental heath issues caused by working for WMP with no support in place. This once well oiled machine is no longer giving a good service to the public and I for one got fed up of fobbing members of the public off why we cant or wont do anything about the crime or issues they have become victims of because of policy changes. Where once we were all part of a big family/team this is no longer the case with colleagues belittling and stabbing each other in the back to make themselves look good to supervision, and if you dare to leave you will be ostracized from so called friends with not even a text or call to wish you well. I therefore can not recommend taking up a job if you value your health and social or family life.
Pros
Once stood for something
Cons
All of the above
Working for the Police takes over your life. The aggressive culture changes you. Over time it affects your mental and physical health. You are no longer a person with thoughts appinions and feelings; you are a number. If you disagree with management and challenge things that are unfair you get patrionised, dismissed and shut down. I would not recommend working for Police unless you are a person who can blindly be told what to do and have no opinion whatsoever.
Its a hard job but great rewards, the teams working across the force are approachable and would definitely recommend working for this great company. Very rewarding job
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at West Midlands Police?
Workplace is busy. You need to know things fast. There is people to help but I always say write things down. If you have any queries, ask questions. That is how you learn.
having completed various roles within this organisation there was never a typical day at work. Learned to work as part of a team as well as alone as the job demanded. Management varied from person to person each with their own ideas and styles. The culture was inclusive supportive and at times sociable. For me the hardest part of the job was dealing with offenders responsible for child offences, having a young family of my own at the time. Serving the public and helping vulnerable persons in time of need.
Good to work for emergency service, good holidays. Lots of e-learning can be difficult. varied experiences made the job enjoyable but demanding and stressful.
Pros
6 days on 4 off
Cons
earlies, lates and nights
I am a secretary to a busy team within CTU with the police. I take minutes look after a team of 25 and give logistical support whilst working on my own.
Poor managers dictate the policies and processes that they no nothing about They have no management skills and tar everyone with the same brush They don’t act on individuals who are lazy but send global e mails instead Lack of management leads to poor moral and no job satisfaction Also managers are empire building for themselves More managers than staff
Bad management, three sets of rules, one for police officers, one for civilian employees and one for the public. A very "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude to both work and life. Don't expect loyalty as a civilian if you get hurt in any way.
Nothing to add, very good in early career, not enough staff now, affecting the service provided to the public, no longer acceptable, staff are expected to take on more and more due to lack of staff which directly affects the ability of staff to provide a good and proper service to the public.
Fabulous experience over 32 years working across a range of disciplines, exciting, fast paced, stressful but rewarding. The organisation allows progressment and has a strong policy on diversity.
It is a very fluid and dynamic environment. I am expected to manage my own caseload, but also to be flexible to be able to respond to unexpected developments which can occur on a regular basis. It is never boring here.
Pros
Working with a great team of people.
Cons
It can be a pressurised working environment.
Easy job for what you are paid. Hrs are ideal for a work life balance with weekends and Bank Holidays off. Line managers are poor in my opinion and spend too much time trying to enforce changes to procedures that achieve nothing but appear to be less likely to deal with real operational issues.
Excellent employee , reliable compassionate, trustworthy and approachable . I would recommend them to work for . Considerate to family commitments . Good rate of pay for work undertaken
Pros
Flexibility