Westerleigh Group

Westerleigh Group Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom22 reviews

peoplemanagementworkcompanyteamworkingfamilygood

Standards

I started working at West Suffolk Crematorium hospitality suite in 2019 as a Hospitality Hostess for wakes.Working for previous manager and chef was a pleasure and we enjoyed our work.But sadly in last 6 months things have changed and I struggled to work there with the current ways of working.Senior Managementand HR weren't interested in my concerns and didn't even answer my emails.In end I decided I had no option but resign.It's a shame as it was such a lovely place to work in beginning.Breaved Families were always my first priority. .

Pros

Breaved Familes

Cons

Casual hours when busy

Poor

An most amazing and rewarding job but the management within the site were horrible, leaving me in tears constantly. Unfortunately leaving me no choice but to leave.

Official response from Westerleigh Group

23 August 2022
We are very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy some aspects of working at Westerleigh. We take feedback seriously and always welcome the opportunity to listen to people's experiences so that we can improve.Please can you contact us at: hr@westerleighgroup.co.uk in the first instance so we can contact you directly and discuss your experience in more detail. We look forward to hearing from you.Best Wishes,Westerleigh Group

Insights into Westerleigh Group

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Not a Company you would want to work for

Westerleigh are a deeply unsatisfactory company to be associated with, The overall Management needs to go and the Company really need to identify the poor quality and general finger pointing effect of local managers, to get to grips with them and if necessary weed out the bad uns, not promote them so they don't cause further issues in their position

Amazing company to work for. Training is wonderful. Very collaborative with a fantastic management structure that supports you.

Brilliant company. From day 1 the management have been really supportive. I have been given fantastic training and wonderful opportunities to specialise in certain areas.

Pros

Good management. Very supportive colleagues. Lots of training provided and on the job support.

Cons

Nothing really.

Very dependent on location.

I worked on a fixed term contract for Westerleigh and overall enjoyed the time I spent there. I was initially based at one site then, to extend my contract, I provided regional cover. Most sites are fantastic and really do care about the families and service we provide.Management, in my experience, is top notch although again not the case for every site. In most areas they do work as one team but some do take the attitude that 'it's not my job' which isn't always helpful.As for pay, it's a bit below the industry standard but it worked for me. I was very happy there, met some amazing people, and had some wonderful experiences.

Pros

Fortnightly fresh fruit parcels. Most managers.

Lots of opportunity and amazing people

The company is small enough that there is still plenty of opportunity for growth and you aren't a small cog in a big machine but large enough that there are genuine opportunities to do some great things.The people are some of the most caring, professional and empathetic I have met. Families really do come first and it has been an eye opener seeing the level of respect and dignity that goes on behind the scenes. It really does take a special kind of person to work in this industry, however, it is very rewarding feeling like you are working for a company that are doing something good.The culture is fast paced and there is always lots going on which I personally enjoy as I don't like being bored. I look forward to seeing how the company grows and hope to be a part of it's future.

Pros

The people are amazing, professional, caring and competent.

Cons

Fast pace wouldn't suit everyone.

They genuinely care!

I've worked with Westerleigh for 3 months. It's brilliant! I say worked with as management at all levels listen to suggestions and genuinely thank their teams. The culture is one of openness where you can speak your mind, providing you can justify why you are saying something. Westerleigh care about their employees and in turn we are able to provide the best care, respect and attention to detail that in this industry we all have a passion to deliver. Joining the Westerleigh Group is the best career decision I've made.

Pros

Management listens, welcoming environment, the whole company cares. There's lots more. But it would take too long!

Cons

I'm happy to say none! I've recommended 5 people to work at the company and we all think it's great!

Avoid at all costs. Profit over people.

I worked for westerleigh group as a crematorium assistant for 5 years. The best thing that I ever did was leave the company. It was OK when I started, but corporate business took over with no clue about the funeral industry. They sack people who have served this company for years and do not give a dam about anything other than money. The greiveing are met by pushy memorial dealers with extortionate prices. I feel so sad that this traditional, caring industry has been tainted by such callus, money grabbing business people. The site i was based at was such a toxic environment, management are gossips, have no empathy and simply only care about hitting figures and targets. What a shame.

Pros

Helping families and serving the community

Cons

Management, company ethics. Basically everything.

Rewarding and industry leading

I’ve worked at Westerleigh Group for less than 12 months but can confidently say that joining was a good decision. The Senior Leadership Team are open to new ideas and actively seek ways to improve communication with staff from all disciplines. This is evidenced via the weekly cascade call, in which the CEO and Directors welcome questions from the floor, and the newly formed employee forum. If you genuinely care about helping others, then Westerleigh Group provides the platform to do this whilst offering competitive salaries and a friendly atmosphere.

Pros

Cpd, career progression, supportive working environment

Cons

Not a con per se, but you don’t come here to rest on your laurels, you come here to contribute towards providing the best service possible to the bereaved.

Focused on internal progression at all levels within the business.Management are focused on service delivery of the highest standard.Westerleigh is focused on helping every single person we come into contact with.Great communication internally with a focus on developing our people.

Pros

Sector leader

Cons

You will need to work hard nothing comes for free.

Lovely place of work

I love working for Westerleigh, all the staff I have met so far have been really nice and go above and beyond to support families and friends that choose Westerleigh. Nothing is too much trouble.Managers are understanding and support their staff 100%.I have been welcomed with open arms, my hard work is recognised, and my thoughts and ideas are listened to.

Pros

Supportive team, understanding managers, lovely staff, beautiful sites

Cons

None that I can think of.

Progression- personally and as a collective

I have been very fortunate to have progressed through the ranks within the group, who have always been supportive of my ambition and have a desire to upskill their colleagues to provide a long-term pipeline for succession within the group. There are fantastic teams across the UK from sites to central support functions, it is an incredibly fulfilling group to work for. The group itself continues to evolve, being an industry leader and always looking for the next initiative that could improve the service for people at the very heart of what we do- the families we care for.It is a very stable career option with the group continuing to expand and provide more high level services to the bereaved.

Pros

Good teams, progression opportunities, well rewarded

Cons

I haven't experienced any

Brilliant Place to Work

Since joining the dedication to delivering exceptional service has been nothing short of inspirational!! Truly passionate colleagues that want to make a difference, I am amazed everyday.

starts out great!!!!

the team i work with are great but head office and HR are a full on joke the whole chain of command is a massive joke because NO ONE in head office gives a c**p about anything other than themselves

Underhand and slanderous management

The job itself is face paced, doing 6 different jobs within an hour and expected to make time stop and miracles happen. The manager surprisingly has no idea how anything actually works despite soaking up the glory for decades. Upselling memorials, making money and minimal spending. The company do not stand for truth or equality, fair treatment of employees is non existent and so is holding management accountable for their actions. Be prepared for gossip fuelled by bitterness, defamation of your character and to become a scapegoat. The more you stand up for the truth, the more they attack you. HR have good intentions but unfortunately are easily fooled. It could be an enjoyable job if everyone was brought together and mutually respected one another. Now they are getting rid of the old, fingers crossed the new will bring the company's reputation up to what it should be. Some good days and Ive met some beautiful people, but a terrible experience overall.

Pros

Cafe on site

Cons

Long hours, Bad management

Crematorium assistant

Horrible management that talk about others. Managers that try to tell you how to do the job even though they dont have a clue and the people that do have a lifetime of doing it. No progression or compassion and all they care about are ‘units’ and profit. Terrible reputation in the industry same as dignity. Do yourself a favour and work in a council crematorium. Hr are a joke also and choose to communicate when it suits them.avoid at all costs....

Pros

Meeting some genuine families

Cons

Working with no staff cover

management nightmare

worked as a technician for 2 years , management was very nasty , sometimes bullies , and had their favourites , you have to work nearly every weekend as there is hardly any staff to keep costs down , most people leave soon , my crematorium is on its 7 th technician in 10 years , the management treat it like a factory and have factory mentality , you need to do 3 different jobs in 1 day , they sell memorials to earn a pay bonus , this is wrong , the manager makes you remove ornaments from peoples graves to keep the place tidy , its all about profits to please the shareholders , these services would be better run by local councils instead of profit making companies , it was nice helping the public and the funeral directors were mostly very nice , do yourself a favour and don't work for this company , you will regret it .

Pros

helping the public

Cons

the horrible managers

Poor management

It’s a lovely job and a privilege to serve the bereaved.. but the company management is shocking. Sites left with no managers and no support. Senior management can’t make decisions and they do not support their staff when they have personal issues even though they say they will. Sack staff at the drop of a hat without warning. Regional managers pop to sites and just gossip about other sites then just go. Always just sacking people ( higher management and front line staff) all about profit now and getting ‘units’ through the door ( their words) poor management and Hr over all sites.

Pros

Working with public

Cons

Not as portrayed in interview, described. as like family. Like most families they are dysfunctional. Disingenuous, manipulative, undermining and use negative complaining criticism over positive regard and encouragement. Did not follow their own protocols or support staff to do well. Sadly ending in termination of contract.

Pros

Location, and getting a better understanding of death

Cons

Not a pleasant office environment, manager takes frequent moods out on staff

Interesting

I Joined as the pandemic hit and did not have the benefit of the company’s usual training induction. Unfortunately my working relationship with my line Manager deteriorated within 3 months and I left the business. The local team I worked with however were very good and accepted me into the business.

Pros

Well Structured

Cons

Unique industry

Good people to work for, various tasks, need to be flexible, some sites are crematoriums only whilst others are crematoriums and cemeteries

A variety of tasks throughout the day, need to have a flexible approach. I studied and passed the cremator operators exam, sites can be small, very busy, you need to be a people person and sensitive to the bereaved. Small teams so you need to be able to get on with the team. Hardest part of the job is cremating babies/infants. Some chapel services can be so emotional. Best bit is working with the public, helping them in their time of need or distress. Can be moved from site to site occasionally to meet the needs of the business, ie holiday cover, sickness.

Pros

pay review every year, even through the depression, bonus scheme

Cons

Can be working late into the evenings, Saturday working on some sites

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westerleigh Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement