Westmorland Homecare

Westmorland Homecare Employee Reviews

Fulfilling job, supportive staff, great pay.

I have worked for WHC since 2019, I started off as a HCA then progressed to a Senior position and now I am office based. The best thing about WHC is that family feel, everyone looks out for one another and it truly feels like one big family. There is always support available and hours. It takes a little while to build the hours up which is explained at interview but once they do you get plenty of regular hours at a really good rate of pay. I am proud to work for a company that really does exactly what it says its going to do and I would recommend them to anyone.

Pros

Full training, great pay, opportunities for progression

Amazing Company

From the moment I applied for the role and started on my first day I was made to feel part of the family that is Westmorland Homecare. The training I have received was very comprehensive and although I am fairly new to my role there is always someone on hand to help if there is something I am unsure about. The amazing ethos of the company is instilled into each employee and it does not disappoint as you can see the pride everyone from the office to HCA's take in their work which is so inspiring. Any queries a member of staff or client has is dealt with with fast and efficiently ensuring smooth running of the company as a whole. I am so happy I sent that first application in as I am so proud that I get to work with such an incredible team of people.

Pros

Pay, support of senior staff, friendly and caring staff, great working environment

3 August 2021
Thank you very much for your feedback and review of Westmorland Homecare. We love to hear how supported you are and how well you have settled into your role.If we can help in anyway, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to supporting our lovely clients together for years to come.

The Work

I think my review may be slightly different than standard as I am a member of the office team rather than one of our HCA's (Home Care Assistants), but I will try to give a very brief overview of both roles.In terms of being in the office, it is definitely a fast paced & constantly busy environment that comes with its own challenges, but equally we work with absolutely fantastic teams all throughout Cumbria & knowing that we contribute towards helping to improve people’s lives/keep them out of hospitals/keep them in the home that they know & love is very rewarding, sometimes it may feel just a bit thankless in a busy day, but getting the wonderful feedback that we receive from our clients & HCA Teams really makes it worthwhile. I personally also love seeing the HCA's when they come to the office/need help with various things & am appreciative of being able to support them when we can, as that's literally what we are here for.On the HCA side of things - for anyone looking to apply - I think the main consideration for applicants that comes up is just having a good look over & a clear picture before starting of what the job entails & what you will be doing each day, what your availability will be & the work you'll be doing. As a carer you will need to travel to different clients which will accumulate mileage, & you will have a set time of availability which varies dependent on the day, in which you won't have calls constantly for the sake of having gaps etc.It is also worth considering that some of the calls that are completed by our HCA teams are by no means easy & can be -

Pros

A rewarding job, Lots of life experience, building relationships with clients, support from the office team

Cons

Travel between calls, long days can be challenging but can be discussed with the schedulers if you want more/less hours

3 August 2021
Thank you very much for your feedback and review of Westmorland Homecare. We are passionate about providing high quality care and enabling our clients the independence to stay within their homes; a feeling clearly mutually shared.Thank you for joining our outstanding team, we look forward to working together to support our local community.

A homecare company doing it right

I started working for westmorland homecare in April so I have been working here for 4 months now. I have never done this type of work before but have had a lot of personal experience with carers and family members. In the interview they make you feel really relaxed and ask you questions about yourself and scenario questions. Once you get through this stage you do a weeks training to not only learn some amazing skills but also learn how the individual company works. I understand some people may find this to be quite intense and a lot of time to put in but in my own opinion it is invaluable.1. Doing the training in office for a week you get to know the people in the office and put a face to the voices you'll hear regularly at the other end of the phone.2. In a job like this rules and regulations (especially now during the pandemic) are forever being updated. It was really useful even if you have done this before to learn or be refreshed on the most up to date practices. 3. You get to meet other HCAs who you may be working alongside in the future for double up calls.4. As someone who has never done this line of work before I couldn't imagine have being put into the deep end and sent to a clients house before learning the important things about this job. This type of training should be essential. With the interview and training week I really think this is why Westmorland has such a great team of HCAs. Everyone is fully trained and they all genuinely want to do this job for the right reasons by helping others. Now the hours... they do take time to build up which when -

Pros

Pay, support, hours

Supportive environment, and a genuine family atmosphere!

Westmorland Homecare provide fully comprehensive training for all staff members, meaning that we all fully understand our clients, our business ethos and the day-to-day lives of our HCAs. This has proved invaluable for all employees, and I am proud to say I work with WHC.

Pros

Hours, pay, comprehensive training and good working enviroment

Amazing place to work, love the people, office team and the clients :)

I’ve loved my time at Westmorland homecare and so glad that I joined the south lakes team. Since moving to the area the office staff have been incredibly supportive and the two trainers are absolutely lovely :). We had a real laugh during our induction and it was inspiring to see the highest level of care being the foundation of their culture. The other homecare assistants are always happy to help, provide collaborative support and help you feel very welcome.The recruitment process was very efficiently and I have quickly met my full time hours. With great levels of pay, hours and a culture like no other… I don’t know what I didn’t do this sooner :)

Pros

Management team, supportive culture and pay

Really care about you and clients. Great pay and support!

I really enjoyed my time with Westmorland Homecare. They were extremely helpful when I found the work hard, they supported me and offered all forms of help when I really needed it.The pay is excellent compared the everywhere else I have seen, and my hours did build up to around 30-50 hours per week. At the time they were the only ones offering contracts, every other place I saw was self employed or 0 hours only so that filled me with confidence. I had training in the office in poulton and was always able to ask for more if I struggled. I never really had to travel very far at all intact I think my furthest client was 25 minutes away which is really nice.

Pros

Clients, pay, hours are comfortable, workload is manageable

Cons

None really, I only left to move with my partner to the south

Lies, lies, lies !

A very poorly run company. There are a few things that I would like to mention within my review. I would firstly like to state that I have been working in care for nearly 20 years, I do not usually write these reviews about companies but my experience here needs to be shared. Frist, the hours are a sham. You are promised a wonderful pay rate however you end up working 13 hours and doing 4 hours work spread out throughout the day so you spend the best part of the day sat around twiddling your thumbs and as you only get paid for what you do it really isnt worth getting out of bed for. I left a job with a lower rate of pay however I got more hours and took more money home at the end of the month. Secondly, you are promised mileage pay this again is a sham as you only get paid after you have travelled so many miles. So you do miles for free in essence and never make this money back. The whole payment system with them lacks transparency and is done to lure people in in the hope that they will stay. People however see through this and the turnover is relatively high. Thirdly, I hate the way that this company treats the clients. They try to provide this mantra that they are person centred and all about the client however they charge them obscene fees. HOW is this allowed to happen. I pride myself on providing a good service but that much money for an hours care is unethical and not moral. The clients have no issue with telling you this as well. When you turn up to provide the care you find yourself having to justify the payment structure. Finally, I have collated all of the -

Pros

The clients

Cons

As above (lots) mainly lack of honesty

22 July 2021
Thank you for your comments and sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. We are very surprised and shocked to read this review, as these thoughts and explanation of culture, are vastly different to that of Westmorland Homecare. Our values of Kindness, Innovation, Trust, and to be enriching; are engrained into our business culture. If any of our staff have any concerns, we have an open-door policy and encourage all staff to raise these with the management team without delay. We pride ourselves on delivering the very best levels of care, as recognised by the independent regulators, The Care Quality Commission awarding us Outstanding in every area.

Good with clients

In my few weeks with Westmorland I heard really good reviews from clients and their families but as far as working for them, you are asked how many hours you would like to do at interview, the training process is intense and thorough but once you are out on the road, at first you are lucky if you get a full weeks work, they tell you that you have to build up your clients and build up your hours but some weeks I only got about 6hours work, they just kept saying there are new clients waiting to come onboard. You couldn’t rely on getting the hours you wanted/needed, you could be out first thing in a morning then nothing until evening or you could get an hours work in the evening so you are hanging around at home to go out. My first week, I clocked you over 250 miles on my car due to having big gaps in my clients and having to come home, ok, they pay you the travelling time and mileage allowance but you have to sacrifice 4 miles per day. They tell you that part of the job is companionship and taking people out for activities, most of the staff had never done anything like that. It all sounds good on paper and not like any other care agency but it’s basically the same but the pay is slightly better but no enhancements for weekend or evening working. On leaving, I was told there is a big turnover of staff because they can’t get the hours they need.

Pros

Good hourly rate

Cons

No guarantee on the hours you request or need.

Loving my job!

Really enjoying working for a well organised company and enjoying working with the clients. Office staff are always helpful and provided some good training at the start of my enrolment.

Jobs at Westmorland Homecare

See more jobs

Supportive great company

Great company to work for.they do care better in every way because they care for their staff like family. I have read some of the reviews on here and I would question the authenticity of them, in my time here I have not eeen anyone leave on bad termsGreat company great colleages great clients and great pay

Pros

Pay, low travel distances and managers are understanding

Cons

Well paid, great service, great employer

I have worked for Westmorland for around 2 and a half years now, and it has been a rollercoaster. I never did care before it, there was training for a week and I shadowed for a while after to get comfortable. I get to meet my clients before I visit them which makes it easier for me and for them I guess.I work between 25 and 35 hours a week (great for me) and I have a great family and work life balance and even get a weekend off every other week.Lots of training on offer (hard with covid ATM) lots of ways to progress as a senior and more and what I really love is that when I needed help they were there for me. They paid for a grief counsellor and brought me back into work slowly to make sure I felt happy and relaxed.I couldn't recommend them enough and I know hours can be low sometimes and their is travel to go between clients but it is never more than 20 minutes away and hours have only ever dropped for me when a client passes away which the company cannot prevent entirely! Ask everyone who works here how amazing it is!

Pros

Colleagues, clients, support, passion, great pay

Cons

Can be gaps but that can't be helped

Very Poor

I worked from the Poulton Office and my whole experience was exceptionally poor. I have had to leave as I have a complete lack of hours. I have also serious issues with the management here, it is none existent and you are unable to access them. I was left without support on several occasions. There was no one to contact out of hours if you have questions or concerns. I have been speaking to my friends and we all agree that working for WHC was a mistake.

Cons

no hours, no management support, unrealistic expectations.

28 July 2021
Thank you for your review and sorry to hear that you a have left the company. We offer Full and Part time contracts to our new starters, with our full-time staff working an average of 35 hours per week and our part-part staff between 20-25 hours per week. Due to the reputation that we have acquired, via the quality care that we provide; we are looking for new staff to help us meet the increasing demand for our service.It is not our experience that requested hours cannot be met.All our offices have an on-call rota system so that support is available for clients and carers, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The on-call service can be reached by contacting any of the branches, out of hours or support is always available from experienced carers or trainers during normal opening times.

Amazing

A lot of the negative reviews look like there from people that didn’t understand that when they first joined they were told that there hours would slowly build up, this is purely because they want there clients to meet people slowly so they are comfortable with new staff. To put a client first is really the most positive thing a company can do after a couple of weeks there is plenty of hours and there is always chance to pick up overtime. This really doesn’t feel like a job it feels like your part of a big family as people are always supporting you and there for you if you need them. I often ring the office and they are always there and never get fed up of me ringing. They often send out cards of appreciation when you’ve helped out or gone above and beyond which is how you know a company really appreciates you. The training is amazing it is made fun and interactive rather than filling in exam questions. They also give you lovely shifts giving you plenty of time for yourself aswell as working it’s a lovely balance

Excellent

Overall fantastic company to work for with great values and ethos. I have worked for the company for just over a year and a half and I have progressed through the company.

Pros

Great support, real family feel.

I have worked for WHC Lancaster for a while now. I love my role and my clients. The other employees are really helpful and very welcoming. It's a great place to work and I feel valued each day, the management send cards thanking the staff regularly and I even received flowers just for completing my training. It took a little while to build up my hours but this was explained at interview and I was happy with that as they give guaranteed hours contracts.

Pros

Training, colleagues, travel time, good hourly rate, support from colleagues and office staff.

Not great

Don’t leave a full time job to work here. Bare minimum hours, mostly a couple a day unless your busy weekend. Everyone’s grabbing for hours all the time. The whole place is run by people who haven’t got a clue. I imagine the actual inspection rating (which is currently based on Kendal ) for poulton won’t be rated as excellent. Lovely clients.

A wonderful place to work.

Westmorland Homecare is truly brining something unique to the Care Sector. The Directors work tirelessly to make sure we're all well looked after and we are all valued in our roles. The Care we deliver is of the highest standards and Westmorland Homecare contributes so much to the community that every day I'm proud to say I work here.

Pros

Great team, very supportive and rewarding

High level of job satisfaction

Right from the start they are completely open and honest about hours and pay. You have a 1 week induction course which is not paid. After this your hours build up over a period of 4 to 6 weeks. If you are desperate for money then this would be a difficult start I can imagine. However, this is not a secret,I knew what to expect even before I was interviewed, so I budgeted accordingly. Once you start you will find that all your colleagues are amazing individuals. Professional, kind, polite and respectful. The training is very thorough, it gives you the confidence to know you are doing your job correctly. You don’t get put in uncomfortable situations, you get to meet your clients and understand what is important to them prior to working on your own.Yes there is the odd gap between calls, but you’re never far from home. If you’re organised you can pop back and take the dog for a walk or something. There is a great work life balance once you get into the swing of it.To put it in a nutshell Westmorland homecare is one of the best companies I have worked for. All the home care assistant I have met have worked for the company long term, so I am baffled why a couple of reviews said that there was a high staff turn over?? Maybe because they didn’t stay for long??

Pros

Good work life balance. Lovely colleagues. Nice working atmosphere. Lots of management support.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Would not get your hopes up

The company promised me everything when I went for an interview. They could not deliver on anything. I started after completing an induction and had not one hour on my rota. I was informed that this would change and it didnt. When I raised this I was made to feel as though I was compaining, I didnt feel as though the management actually cared they are so focused on their outward facing appearance and are not interested in the actual well being of their staff. I have a mortgage and bills to pay and have no alternative other than to leave and look for employment elsewhere. They have completely wasted my time. Completely unrealistic I would suggest avoiding this company at all costs if you need a dependable regular income.

Pros

not many

Cons

poor management, lack of hours and lack of support

23 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback. Westmorland always acknowledge and appreciate any feedback we may receive so that we are continuously improving our service. We are sorry that you feel that your issues were not addressed. Westmorland Homecare pride ourselves on supporting our Home Care Assistants and offer support throughout the whole duration of their employment. We have built a large infrastructure to provide on-going support, including two full time in-house trainers; and arrange monthly appraisals with our Coordinators to address and resolve any issues to the best of our abilities. We have an open-door policy and are always contactable either in person, email, or telephone. Our Full time Home Care Assistant work an average of 35 hours per week, and our part time an average of 20 hours per week.

Fun, Rewarding and exciting!

In this industry the hours can be long but they are certainly memorable! I would go and see my regular clients every day i was rota'd to work.It really is better than other companies i have worked for because i got to see the same clients!I was constantly learning with Westmorland Homecare and was offered extensive specialist training in area's of need - this was rewarding because i knew i had the skills to be able to care effectively.I want to make it abundantly clear that the days can be long. There is always gaps in your working day between seeing clients, but that's fine... that's the same at every homecare company! The great thing is that you aren't rushing from one person to another - the day has gaps because the company listens to the clients and provides the visits at the times that they choose!The management is lovely, it was nice to work for a company that genuinly care about their staff as well as their clients. The hardest part of the job was losing clients (inevitable in care) - but i was offered a counsellor to speak to if i was struggling... honestly, can you ever say another care company has offered this level of support before?My managers becky and russel are always there for the staff if they ever need help, assistance or a chat!The most enjoyable part of the job is putting smiles on peoples faces and being able to see the same people every single day, we get 20 pence per mile (i claimed 45pence because russel showed me i could claim it back which helps A;LOT) the fuel probably doesn't cover what i spent driving to and from each person, but it definitely -

Pros

not long travel, pay is great, work life balance

Cons

long hours, gaps in the day (but all care companies have this) and thats really it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westmorland Homecare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2