Westrock

Westrock Employee Reviews in Battle Creek, MI

Can get stuck 16 hours multiple days in a row.All seniority based.Too many chiefs and not enough indians.Management hurts the culture A LOT.Wouldn't be a bad place to work if we got more time off and the culture was better.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management, hours, culture.
The pay is great. But that's the only positive. To many chiefs and not enough Indians. Certain managers making decisions when its not even their area. They preach safety and say they are trying to change the culture but both are false. When it comes to the machine running safety means nothing. People treated like numbers not people. Except for co workers and pay there are really not many positives
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, culture, time off, poor morale
Favoritism, horrible Union, lazy workers with zero respect for the company. Terrible culture. Certain rules only apply to certain people. Not a good work/home life balance due to the scheduling.
Management is horrible machines out of date and management sets unrealistic expectations for orders. One shift is responsible for all other shifts including mistakes and clean up. Been scheduled for overtime for over 5 months while other shifts are working normal hours
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
Horrible management and outdated equipment
This place sucks the life out of you ! Forced 16 hour shifts , had vacation but was not allowed to take it ! You have a different superviser every year because no one stays .. zero days off
Pros
Cons
Use to be a good place to work but after rocktenn took over everything went down hill
RockTenn was a good place to work. They compensated me well, and the company had some options for advancement. They had a tuition reimbursement program as well. Sometimes the hours were long, but that is not unexpected in a journeyman maintenance role.
Pros
Compensation good, vacations and days off were easy to get
Cons
Sometimes long work hours, and hard to maintain work/family balance
Every day is different and never boring. I have the autonomy to do my job, grow and development in my interest areas and apply my knowledge to help our business succeed. Facilitating personal and career development in others is by far the most rewarding aspect of my job. I love to see people grow, learn and succeed.
Pros
working with the team
Cons
sometimes the hours can be long
Good jobs just long days.......Decent money! Hot Hot Hot all the time!!!! Benefits are expensive but what ain't these days!
Very fun, laid back kind of company. They actually listened to the people with respect to changes and upgrades, etc to the way things are done. Very good communication with respect to things going on with the company
Pros
Lunches for Employess when they exceed quota
Cons
Poor culture with bad leadership both locally and at the corporate headquarters. Daily work environment brutal with backstabbing and lies the norm.
Pros
Cons
Bad, bad environment.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Westrock?
Everyday at RockTenn varies. Most days there is a morning meeting in which I update the management team on the safety status of the mill. The rest of my day consists on touring the mill, safety committee and sub-committee meetings, program updating and ensuring compliance with MIOSHA and corporate regulations. Working in a facility with three different unions has taught me valuable management, and communication skills. The overall culture in the mill needs to improve. There is a deep divide between the management and hourly personnel. Like any facility, some co-workers are great to work with and others are not. Many of the hourly individuals are good people, but due to the culture they have developed "rough edges". The hardest part of my job is finding a middle ground between management and hourly individuals. At this point, many of the individuals working on the floor believe that management does not really care for their safety. It is hard to develop a true safety culture, because the employees will not join in safety activities, in fear that nothing will get done and that it is a waste of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the individuals that do the work, to improve their job quality. My tasks vary by day, and each day brings a new surprise.
Pros
Somewhat flexible hours, training opportunities
Cons
Poor safety culture, mixed guidance from management groups
While there could be potential with this company, the management ruins nearly every good aspect of being employed here. Horrible working conditions, and trust me you will never do anything good enough or fast enough. Managers should be down right ashamed of themselves for treating employees like they do. I would not wish this job on my worst enemy, however if working your life away and being treated like a slave are your thing then feel free.
Pros
Cons
Demoralizing and pathetic management. Worthless Union.
The company produces paperboard for many consumer products.