Westrock

Westrock Employee Reviews in Saint Paul, MN

I really enjoyed working there, the people were great support, incredible customers and vendor. A fun place to work. Very well run company. This company has a great future.
Pros
I enjoyed every minute, great atmosphere, great employees.
I have worked at a westrock plant for 2 years now. There are a few positive things like job security. They can not keep employees so as long as you show up every day you will have a job. The down side is it is literally every day.....7 days a week. They do pay overtime over 40 hours, for now, but recently have been trying to implement things like swing shifts where you work 7 days a week for straight time. This is no doubt an effort by the company to cut down on overtime costs. They have been compensating people for being off work for any CV19 issues weather you are actually sick, quarantined or caring for sick loved ones, that has been awesome. There have been several bonuses for being considered essential workers, also pretty cool. Every year during the holidays you get a turkey or ham, this year there was also a nice meat and cheese box sent to all employees, great gesture, would have preferred a raise tho. Where this company has major issues is the lack of leadership and accountability. This could be a great place to work but unfortunately its all about the bottom line in the end and morale and work life balance of employees suffers the most. I’m sure its great for anyone not involved in maintenance or production, but the company has simply cut to much pay and benefits for anyone in a union or production role to want to make their career here. Anyone who stays is left working 7 days a week to barely keep the place functioning. Preventative maintenance on the papermills themselves is horrible and they barley stay running. The mode of operation is run everything to failure, - more...
Pros
Job security, overtime oportunities
Cons
Pay, work life balance. General lack of cleanliness Social justice culture
Used to be a great place to work. The management here has destroyed the culture and the benefits this place had to offer. Now they can't even keep this place fully staffed.Its sad to see what has happened here for all the employees that have stayed.
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Westrock is horrible work here if your ready for your life to be overPay & benefitsGood payJob security and advancementIn terms of job security at Westrock, I think if the older guys dont like you they push you to quiteManagementIn general, managers at Westrock suck
Met great people. Great friendships. Reliable company with great pay. I really like the opportunity for advancement. I started off as a fifth hand and moved up to Training to be a paper tester in a year and a half. If I didn't have something extremely tragic happen at that time in my life I believe I would've retired there. That's how great I loved it here at Westrock.
Terrible place to work no days off money great but no life.swing swift management didn't care.wasnt able to get a day off.they don't care what you are going through
Many individuals who have been with the company for over 20 years are allowed poor attitudes and lazy work commitments. This can also be applied to many of the managers at this facility. Security is poor at this facility, don't leave your belongings anywhere they will be stolen, not by employees but by offenders entering the complex. Many homeless people squat on the complex and it takes an act of God to have security remove them. One can find security sleeping at point in their office. Don't work here if you like clean! Very little is done in the office to keep it clean. Many people bring their own fridge and microwave.
Pros
Casual dress, free vibrating floor, vintage office furniture
Cons
Change is feared, dirty, cockroaches
All levels of employment are involved or are encouraged to be a part of the workplace safety. This empowers employees to be enguaged and thus drives a great culture of safety.
Great place to work , but rotating shifts take it's toll. When you start getting older, it really effects your life and your sleep. I can't sleep for more than 4 hours at any given time. Not making excuses, but rotating shifts take 11 years off your life.
Pros
Pay and benifits
Cons
Rotating shifts
Nice place to work.I enjoy my thirty three years there .good safety environment. Good workingmen and supervisor to work with then
Pros
Good people
Cons
Good health care
A typical day involves me monitoring the DCS screens that controls the flow of our product (water/stock). I also communicate with my other colleagues in other departments to ensure everything is on the same page when creating cardboard material.
Pros
Paid lunches. Friendly colleagues. Benefits
Cons
Long work weeks.
A typical day is spent cutting cores, general cleaning, machine operation, time management. I learned about the paper making process in its entirety, rope splices, changing felts. I learned how to work as a group and individual in a fast paced setting. I had a great group of knowledgable and experienced supervisors and worked with a really intelligent and hard working group of guys. The hardest part of the job was the heat and the physical labor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the job security, the people I worked with and the pay.
-Fed machine, made boxes.-Safety is critical in manufacutring/production work-management hard a hard time making a decision in certian aspects-co workers were great people-Hot in the building during the summer months-easy work to do, worked with great people.
Pros
worked with great people, employer looked out for employees
Cons
hot in the summer time, physically draining.
This was a great company that had many opprotunites for advancement.
Pros
a good paying company
Cons
a lot of swing shifts, not family friendly