Westrock

Westrock Employee Reviews for Line Operator

Nice place to work, good atmosphere. Management involment with employee's. Safety incentives and classes. Yearly OSHA training to help stay safe and keep on tasks.
Pros
Safety incentives
Cons
Better competitive hourly rate
Great place to work, friendly and helpful coworkers, lack of communication on some areas, lack of 100% responsibility, great culture, great pay in most departments for the work expected
Pros
Great pay and Benefits
Cons
Lack of communication and lack of 100% responsibility
Bundles of sheet line comes down to me on a conveyor, I weigh it, measaure it, put dunnage at the bottom and top of bundles to protect it from getting dammage on by the forklift putting it in the trailer. U have to be able to move at a very fast pace and make sure your line is running efficently.
Pros
drinks at your line, music
Cons
short breaks
I worked for RockTenn 12 hr night shift for 13 years. I was a glue line operator with a production record on my machines that was either #1 or #2 in the plant. I had NO negative job performance evaluations nor any customer complaints. A complaint was filed against me that upon reworking the job we discovered evidence that the customer was at fault not us. The customer rejected this because of numerous other quality complaints that year from all across the spectrum claiming a loss of faith in our facilities management and it's ability to maintain its contractual obligation to customer satisfaction thru quality. The customer demanded that management do something to show they were commited to quality. Their answer to appease the customer was to trump up a perseption of me of questionable quality ethics and fire me. Management had always said quality first but had always made desisions to run questionable quality products with the hope of being able to slip it by the customers notice. This resulted in a culture in management where they were more interested in getting product out the door and less interested in customer satisfaction. They work 12 hr shifts. They do not give sick leave or excuse absence from work unless FMLA is approved by a third party company that only management can deal with. They only give 4 days a year of vacation and that can only be taken subject to approval. Every poor management decision is blamed on the production personell. It is a company that has grown to fast in recent years and is headed for a serious down fall soon. They do pay very good but the - more...
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
When I started at Rock-Tenn Conway it was not only a great place to work but the management really cared about the people. In the nearly 13 years I was with the company it has grown exponentially and with it has come a high degree of corporate mentality in the leadership. The company stopped promoting from within and started hiring from outside into management. Decision making in plant management is one of self survival and not at all based on right and wrong. My fellow co-workers for the most part were great people. The pay and benefits are good. The best part of the job was that it allowed me financial security to give my family the quality of life I feel they deserve. The worst part of the job was seeing management do wrong to good people at times and being powerless to stop it or change their minds.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management and conscienceless decision making twards employees
I would prepare crew and machine for that day's production run. I would enter the run in the computer and start up machine. If there is a machine failure I would make any repairs in a timely fashion to continue production run. Trying to get the most production out of the machine was the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job. In order to accomplish this, I have learned that it takes more than your average patience and good work ethics. It takes great co-workers and team work.
A fast paste working under the sun all day. My co-workers are reliable.