Whitewall Galleries

Whitewall Galleries Employee Reviews

I was personally lucky enough to have 2 dedicated, understanding and driven managers who pushed me and taught me a lot during my time. However, not a role for the faint hearted and the company doesn't look after their employees enough in my eyes.
Cons
Long hours, last minute changes of rota
A relaxed yet competitive environment. If you are interested in working with art and sales, then this might be the perfect role for you. It is crucial to be a good salesperson
I gave just over 3 year of my life to the galleries. You are severly underpaid unless you hit targets and then it's just about comfortable. There is no support for managers if staff are off sick or on holiday, you are expected to cover this despite maybe already working 11 days straight with two children at home. You find a lot of staff are single or have no children as they do not understand the basic rules of a work life balance. Artwork is mass produced and the company trains you for the hard sell on items that are truely worth zero investment. ÂŁ1000+ sculptures are mould made in the Far East and as a 'art consultant' you are trained to advise it's the artists own work. It's really not. Higher management will hen peck you down and offer you support once you're at target. If your face fits and you're given a good client list from a previous leaver then you'll do ok for 12-18 months. If not you'll be gone within 6 months. A very high turn over of staff.
There are definitely a few gems in this company. I was lucky to have a wonderful manager and co-workers, but that is where it ended. If you like art and want to be in the art world, this is NOT the job for you. This is a 100% Sales and Target driven role. They will teach you everything to say about the artists (whether its really true or not is a different story), and how to sell, you just need to be bubbly and cut-throat and you will succeed. Also, keep in mind I don't know anyone who was there and got a weekend off in their first year unless you requested it off or took holiday. Also, hard to take holiday when you have targets hanging over your should. Not a great work like balance. They have an insane turn over of employees, which I think says a lot, and pay is not good no matter what they tell you in the interviews. Until you make the commission the base pay is awful.
The CEO is fantastic! The senior Management team are not the best but seem to think they are above every one! The job is very sales focused with large targets but they are usually fair and achievable. I did find most of the job to be almost fake and pretend if im honest! Its just a bunch of sales people pretending to be Art experts ! In fact, the Art professionals are almost singled out as being "to arty". Staff churn is a huge problem due to poor wok life balance, poor basic salaries and lack of progression. If you enjoy meeting new people then this is a plus but the novelty soon wears off when all you are doing is selling to them!
Pros
Huge X-mas party each year !
Cons
Long hours, wok weekends and weekends and don't get a lunch break!
I really enjoy my role, if anyone thinks selling art is easy its not. If your looking for an easy ride this isn't it but it keeps me on my toes. Its a sales role through and through and you have a target so you need to be happy working in this way, but I've earnt some great commission and I have some great clients. Events are hard work but fun.
Pros
Art, commission, clients
Cons
weekends but comes with the job
Great training program, and support from stock team. Lots of fun devising and hanging your gallery, but comes with heavy lifting at height. Very sales focused, with plenty of target reviews. Great if you thrive on regular high sales, but you can easily get caught in a downward spiral if you get a slow day as it affects your week/month targets. Manipulating high sales from every client, and then clawing back custom for repeat sales from that individual.
Pros
Creative days with generally friendly teams
Cons
High targets and heavy lifting
Massive high turnover of staff. This is purely a sales role with ridiculously high sales targets. Management are unprofessional and gossip about their peers and subordinates. We are encouraged to disguise nicks scratches and chips on frames by drawing on them with marker pens. So clients buy without knowledge of damaged frames. Often times where paintings are damaged - it’s returned to central dispatch not for the artist to touch up or correct, but for people working in the warehouse to. Again- clients not aware when parting with a lot of money. There is no decency here in any shape or form. Avoid. Go to a real gallery instead and have your qualifications appreciated.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Hours, management, deceit, disrespectful management
This is my first role within the world of fine art! I must say its an exciting role where no two days are the same. Coming from a luxury retail environment I find this new product really exciting. Coupled with the relationships I am building with my clients I feel this really can be my forever role.
I came from a really low salary before I joined Whitewall. I learnt a lot about how to conduct myself with high end clients and luxury products. Whitewall Gallery is not a long term career opportunity. There is the potential to make a lot of commission, but it's not completely within in your control. The companies stock management and customer service fulfilment is really poor, which makes your job as the one facing the customer very difficult. This is a sales role. The amount of money you bring in is the only thing this company cares about. So if you can manage it, bask in the glow, but be careful not to get comfortable. They are fickle and ultimately don't care about your well being. Observe this through their incredibly high staff turnover.
- Client focused, lead generating and long term client development- Autonomous, almost 'franchise' feel- Great team to manage and be part of- Long hours over a seven day week- Varied work tasks- Tasks to 'get stuck in' to
Pros
autonomous, client focused
Cons
work life balance, progression, security