Whittard of Chelsea
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

Whittard of Chelsea Employee Reviews

United Kingdom64 reviews

coffeeproductstorediscounttrainingstafflearnfree

Fun environment with lots of training for advancement

Featured review

Whittard of Chelsea selected this as a representative review
Absolutely loved the manager, she catered to all the employees needs without complaining. We could work around our own timings. Lots of training was provided so that we could advance to supervisor roles/ assistant manager roles - very quickly. Salary was good - higher than minimum wage but just right for airport rate. Lots of tasks to do so you’re never busy. And a bunch of lovely co workers.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Travel

Nice atmosphere but no progress

The atmosphere in the shop is almost entirely positive, but individual achievement is overlooked and people are rarely promoted. The high turnover in staff means constant need for retraining and more long term staff aren’t given further training or advice. In comparison to what the store takes in the staff aren’t paid enough, with overtime and stressful work not formally appreciated. Barely any staff have worked there for over a year and those who have aren’t promoted, with new hires taking up potential roles. It is understandably frustrating for loyal employees to be spoken down to and subordinate to multiple new employees (many of whom leave within a month or two). The management are friendly and have good relationships with most staff but they are clearly under pressure and it leaks out and affects the rest of the team, with some being passive aggressive and rude to staff. Relatively serious actions of certain individuals have been ignored until it escalated, forcing others to put up with intolerable colleagues and discrimination. Meanwhile there are high expectations for experienced staff but without matching promotions or training that would make them respected by colleagues and give them the authority to achieve those expectations.

Pros

50% discount, flexible working, friendly atmosphere, relaxed

Cons

Long hours, low pay, stress, lack of progression, issues not resolved quickly

Insights into Whittard of Chelsea

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction

Not a very good company to work for

Poor pay, poor job prospects, no career progression and staff used , not thought about by the company and managers at all . All in all not a good company to work for

Pros

Free product allowance

Cons

Poor pay no respect

Sales assistant

Great work-environment. London is the perfect spot to work. You can learn everything if you are willing to.A lot of different tasks to do and to learn.

Needs improvement

Initially it seemed to be a great work environment, diverse staff, all interested in knowing and sharing knowledge of the teas. However due to staff shortages, and toxic management styles, there is a lot of stress and an expectancy that you should do more work than what is possible at a healthy standard, leading to burn out. When you air your concerns, it may be listened to on a ground level, but rarely goes past that, or things don't change. The vibe that's given is that the company would rather have staff burn out, and risk leaving to be offered something, than actually pay staff a suitable wage for Central London and actually hire more people to help with the incredible work load. Progression in the company seems relatively easy if you're a hard worker, however training is extremely poor or misguided, they expect you to ask questions of that you don't know, but with small teams, you may not be able to contact someone that easily. As a new starter, there is a lot of information to learn, it will take time and customers are usually patient if you're honest, but it can be intimidating.

Pros

Discounts on products, allowance every month, able to progress in the company, sample all the products, good colleague to customer conversation

Cons

unpaid breaks, toxic management, poor training even though outdated guides are available, staff shortages lead to expecting staff to pick up extra work

Great place to work originally

Great place to work, they really tried hard to look after employees but changes of recent seem to have had a negative impact on morale. Recent company decisions are based strictly on business improvement and not the well being or interest of employees.

Disaster

Biggest mistake was to join this company. Management has their few favorites and rest of you is outsiders not part of the team. You will say something they don’t like, that’s it, you are the enemy from then onwards. Regardless that you are right.

Pros

Hour for lunch break, staff discount.

Cons

Toxic environment

Amazing Company

I just started with Whittards last week and already I can see myself working here for ages. I had a excellent week of training and support (even before I started) the people in the company are so nice and always there to help. I love the products which we get a excellent discount and allowances. I'm so grateful to have found Whittards specially after my last company was so awful. I would highly recommend working with Whittards 100%.

Pros

Lots of training and communication

Amazing company to work for!

Amazing career progression opportunites, friendly and supportive employees, a family feel company with great values. If you are looking to work in a fast paced enviornment with fantastic benefits, this is the perfect company!

Pros

Growth and development opportunities, friendly employees, fantastic benefits.

Cons

No downsides, I have loved working for Whittard of Chelsea.

With good management comes a good work-life

I started working in Whittards in 2017 and had a wonderful store manager who was always understanding of my education alongside working, my experience with the small shop team was amazing as everyone was lovely and we all worked hard. I went back the following year after returning from university for the summer and my old manager had left. The supervisor who had taken on the role of management while they found a new store manager was very rude, disrespectful and made me dread going in to work. She was verging on threatening to certain members of staff, and the new manager they brought in halfway through left within months due to the working environment with the supervisor. A great place to work if the management are good.

Pros

Very good discount, and free teas/coffees to take home every month

Enjoyable place to work

This is a fabulous place to work, very enjoyable and fulfilling, everyone is friendly and helpful from store teams to head office. The training is great and you can learn a lot, training is ongoing and updated regularly and suited to all learning styles. The company are very cultural and aren’t afraid to employ people of different nationalities like some other places I have worked which I think is fantastic! The only downside to this job is pay. They pay very poorly considering the knowledge and service skills they want you to have at all levels of the store team. They basically want experts in the field but by paying them pennies instead of pounds.

Pros

Product samples, enjoyable working environments, cultural

Cons

Pay

Amazing opportunities

I have loved every second of working at this company. My team were amazing, I felt like I was wanted and my skills were used fairly and thankfully. They often have out bonus schemes for the most hardworking teams who surpass expectations.

Pros

Free products, discounts up to 50%, great team

Cons

Travel distance, lack of fulltime positions

Good company to work for

I worked in the head office and i enjoyed my time there. The office was very friendly and there was always people around to offer support and assistance.

Fun place to work, a lot of pressure for product knowledge

The training is top notch and managers are always happy to retrain if you need. Can be hard if you are balancing a full time degree though! Worked in a small store so the atmosphere is super friendly.

Pros

Really good staff discount and free products every month

Cons

A lot of product knowledge to learn in a short amount of time

Family-like workplace

Everyone, from the manager to the working buddy that teaches you the basics and even the collegues you'll get, is amazingly friendly and supportive. You are encouraged to ask for guidance and confirmation when needed.

Pros

You get to try all the products they have.

Was good at the start

Very lovely place to work, especially for those interested in Teas or Coffee. The area was fast-paced during the Christmas period. Only downside was the unpaid overtime and unfair management.

Pros

50% staff discount, lovely collegues, taste samples

Cons

Unfair management, unpaid overtime

Easy-going and interesting

The products are interesting to learn about and selling them can be a lot of fun. It can be quite slow paced but management found ways to keep us busy. It was fairly strict but not in a bad way at all.

Whittard of Chelsea

Es una empresa de lujo con gran posicionamiento en el mercado Entrenamiento continuo, excelente

Productive and engaging workplace

one team working to achieve company goals clear vision and communication quality brand ethos excellent work ethic with a focus on well being superb product sampling for all colleagues

Poor management

Didn’t feel like management, felt like a glorified sales assistant got given all the unwanted shifts rarely got a weekend off but manager and supervisor constantly got them off.

Okay as a passing through job

Very unprofessional and too much drama lovely staff management is very poor and staff allowance is also poor , management take advantage of staff and don’t do much and get paid more , have to wash dishes which took 2 hours , clean floors , this was not included in job description also little training was provided

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whittard of Chelsea. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Whittard of Chelsea with

Learn about Whittard of Chelsea in popular locations

• Whittard of Chelsea
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?