Whittard of Chelsea logo

Whittard of Chelsea Management reviews

Clear
Work-life balance

Was good at the start

Very lovely place to work, especially for those interested in Teas or Coffee. The area was fast-paced during the Christmas period. Only downside was the unpaid overtime and unfair management.

Pros

50% staff discount, lovely collegues, taste samples

Cons

Unfair management, unpaid overtime

Easy-going and interesting

The products are interesting to learn about and selling them can be a lot of fun. It can be quite slow paced but management found ways to keep us busy. It was fairly strict but not in a bad way at all.

Poor management

Didn’t feel like management, felt like a glorified sales assistant got given all the unwanted shifts rarely got a weekend off but manager and supervisor constantly got them off.

Okay as a passing through job

Very unprofessional and too much drama lovely staff management is very poor and staff allowance is also poor , management take advantage of staff and don’t do much and get paid more , have to wash dishes which took 2 hours , clean floors , this was not included in job description also little training was provided

Amazing company

I have loved every moment of my path at Whittard. The knowledge you get to absorb is amazing, and upper management show you they care on a regular basis. If not for store closure I would remain with them indefinitely. Progression has been fast and the training is exemplary. I would recommend to any and all that if you have the opportunity then build your career with Whittard!!

Fair and positive workplace

Its a business going places, the sales are increasing across the stores constantly, not many retail brands can say that. The Managers are numbers driven, but are fair, and they bring out the best in employees.

Boring, boring, boring! Avoid!

Terrible life/work balance Juvenile management who largely take a back seat to doing any real work. Head office are basically non existent The AMs are never available when you need them Terrible pay

enjoyable but unorganised

Whittard of Chelsea was a very enjoyable place to work, with every day being slightly different and getting to know the regular customers. Unfortunately my experience was tinted by the poor management.

Fun

I enjoy working at Whittards, the team is awesome and the management is great, they are always on top of things. There are always opportunities to try the new products that we receive, and even better, to learn more about the company and and the deeper history of teas, coffees, and the equipments that we use.

Pros

Free products to take home

Cons

Very cold during the winter

Excellent workplace and fun culture

Absolutely loved working for this company. Unfortunately I relocated and there isnt a store where I now live! Higher management and HO staff very supportive and you learn something new everyday. Customers are great too and you very quickly build rapport with customers in particular the regular customers that come in sometimes 2-3 times per week.

Pros

Free teas and coffees to take home

Cons

low stock levels

Jobs at Whittard of Chelsea

See more jobs

Very poorly organised

My boss hired too many part time staff at the same time and then couldn't afford to keep all of us so made people redundant despite them working well. The general company and culture, I really liked but the management was awful in the branch I was at. Interacting with customers was good though the shop would experience a real variation in the amount of customers between one hour and the next. There was a lot of emphasis on training and, I found, unlike other shops, you were expected to be able to really know the stock and be able to talk about it.

Nearly killed me

Long working hours, with no support from the company. No job security and minimal benefits. Training is unbalanced and inconsistent. Fun team to work with, dissapointing communication from area managers and upper management.

Pros

Free Tea

Cons

Highly Stressful with unrealistic targets

Fun place to work

Very fun environment to work in. good management and small team so good atmoshere. Good products and good opportunities for training and learning about the products.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

slow business

Ok to work for.

Training was good, worked there for nearly two years and found it ok as a temporary fix. found it to be a high turnover of staff. Management can be found to be bullying staff at times and can be extremely rude. High turnover of managers with terrible attitudes.

Pros

Free tea and coffee

Cons

Low pay and poor management

An amazing place to work

Whittard is an amazing place to work, however the salary is not as favourable as other companies. The staff discount and allowance on products are amazing, very generous. The management at the store I work is amazing always keeping a positive outlook.

Pros

Staff discount, good work ethic

Cons

Small or zero hour contracts

Poorly Managed by Head Office

The products are somewhat overpriced now for what they are, company increased product prices on several occasions since my time there. No support from head office or area managers, store manager more intent on harassing people for email rather than selling. No clear focus in terms of direction and staff bonuses very poor. Not a positive place to work unfortunately staff members seen as easily replaceable by higher management.

Pros

staff alowance each fortnight. although limited as to what you can have

Cons

no support, poor bonus, low salaries .

well respected company

all management duties to include staff training, office management, p&l,all safe duties - change ordering and banking, customer service,hiring and firing of staff staff disciplinary,opening and closing the store,

Pros

great products, respected company, great product training

Not great

Management is terrible Paperwork for a retail assistant is ridiculous Long hours Not good benefits No bonus' No good training

Pros

Easy

Cons

No bonus', paperwork is too mych

Enjoyable, Fun and a Great Developer of Skills

I have learnt so much during my time at Whittard of Chelsea; every day I continue to learn more. Through the training the company provides, one can learn about the many different types and origins of the specialist teas, coffees and hot chocolates they sell to their customers. To be one of those who passes on that valuable information to the patrons is a wonderful and exciting experience. A typical day at work involves the creation of the samples the customers have the opportunity to taste; this can be particularly tricky if one does not know the correct way to brew the various teas and coffees. Thankfully, this is no problem for one with experience, providing an accurate example to the customer of what the tea or coffee will taste like if they were to brew it at home. Another more obvious aspect of working at Whittard is the selling of the products. Knowledge and experience of the products is essential in helping the customer to decide on their preferred product, especially when they are trying a Whittard product for the first time. This was (and still is) an aspect that I enjoy very much, as experiencing the products for myself is something I love to share with the customers. The management of the store I have worked at previously and the one I am about to begin (part-time), as well as my co-workers, are those who I cannot speak highly enough of. They are so professional and knowledgeable, and are willing to help with any problem. They are fun, friendly and always greet the customers with a warm smile and a bright hello, no matter how busy they are. There were, -

Pros

Consumable perk up to value of ÂŁ7 every two weeks, 50% discount on drinkables and 30% on equipment

Secure

I worked as a Sales Assistant. My day to day job was to deliver a warm and welcoming environment as well as assisting customers with purchases. I learned to deal with people of various different backgrounds. As my job was part-time so therefore there was not much of management that I had to do. The colleagues were really helpful and supportive. The hardest part of the job was operating the till as I had to do the cash up at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working at a tea & coffee shop as I got to know about the different kinds of teas & coffees. As well as the fact that the store was located in at Heathrow Airport Terminal 2 which means I got to meet people from various different backgrounds.

Pros

Discount at Heathrow restaurants and other stores.

Cons

overall a fun workplace to work

Working at Whittards has enabled me to become bring out my individuality to be passionate about creating the best experience for the customers. Using my own initiative I have tried to thrive towards the goals and challenges which were set. I worked well supporting the store management team and helping to achieve the store’s goals through a variety of tasks. Importantly gaining great sales abilities and product knowledge to help customers while having fun and an enjoyable experience. Working at Whittards has allowed me to gain even more skills such as excellent customer service skills, working in a busy team and the ability to use IT computers. As a sales assistant there was a little more responsibility to the job, I had to be punctual, flexible and get the work done on time, and being willing to improve my own performance. I have worked with people from a diverse range of backgrounds in this retail job, which is an asset. This helped me to build relationship with colleagues or customers from all around the world.

Pros

allowance week

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whittard of Chelsea. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement