WHSmith

WHSmith Employee Reviews

Found 1,716 reviews matching the search
Okay place to work with consistent agency work not be taken on as staff various hours morning shift afternoon and night shift money was okay doing a full week except when it was quite and going home early and loosing some money
Pros
Local regular work
Cons
Agency work not offered staff roles
I love working at WHSmiths it was one of the best places I’ve ever worked. Highly recommend the company! You’ll not be disappointed at all. Staff are lovely
Pros
Discount, flexible hours
Cons
At first I enjoyed the job as it easy and slow. But after a year you get fed up with how the company doesn't care about their staff. I worked at a small store that had no manager or supervisor, just sale assistant. You don't need me to tell you how that's going. No-one cares about the staff in this company.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No one does anything
There were a few absolutely amazing people during my time there however, as with most companies, when the pay raises first went to minimum national wage they piled a whole load of government fake schemes for example supervisor for regular staff and managers training for supervisors. However after completing long winded and pointless "text books" or spiraled together pieces of out of sequence pages (small example of the incompetence from the top down) we were all informed that there were no new supervisor or management jobs but we were simply expected to perform the duties of the training without a pennies pay increase. Oh and they sacked all the independent cleaners most of which relied on the extra money it provided. Cold calculated heartless company. And I won't go in to the turning off the heating in winter to save money as well as the turning off of the drinks fridge both actions elicited complaints from and loss or abandonment of customers due to only having maybe 2 staff members on the shop floor at any one time.
Pros
I managed to leave fairly unaffected
Cons
Managers displacing blame for their own mistakes on underlings
This may have been one of the hardest Jobs I’ve had in terms of energy used. I joined up in March 2020 to help my family with what I knew would be a hard year. But after less than a week I was told to go Home and expect no pay. As they were no longer trading and couldn’t even pay me for the work I had done! However, since my return I have noticed a decline in management as many mangers have been let go or demoted to alleviate costs. But this has certainly lead to a fear of job security in many of the companies employees. And the difficulty of working with a first time manager doesn’t really have a positive impact either. The care of employee wealth fare doesn’t feel that it exists. Furthermore, whilst I worked there I had to endure more than my fair share of rude or difficult and disrespectful customers. Which I received very little understanding over.
Pros
Discounts on company products
Cons
Difficult customers, poor management, stress
If you want an easy job that's going to pay the bills, then here you are. If you want a job that allows you to progress or feel like you're making some sort of a difference, look elsewhere. Paid the minimum possible, and the responsibilities of management are often given to sales assistants with no extra benefit/pay.
Pros
Easy work.
Cons
Unfulfilling, and trying to make a difference falls on deaf ears.
Company will come up with new structures on a whim. Try cluster managers? Didn’t work, reversed it. Then laid off hundreds of staff in order to implement... cluster managers. The pay is poor, downsizing is pretty constant, and the business plan appears to be “overcharge and understaff” so customers are rarely happy. Random changes in company direction will appear from nowhere. Head office are usually unaware (and very unresponsive) of how shop workforce is feeling
Pros
Staff all seem lovely
Cons
Head office largely clueless
Bad company culture, if your face fits your ok!!, don’t pay you for hours worked. Worst company I’ve ever worked for. Higher managers not bothered about your family/work balance. Very stressful, under appreciated
Pros
Hard working team members
Cons
Long hours you don’t get paid for, higher managers that are horrid to Staff, awful culture, your just a number
Spare the few employees that work the shop floor with me, there is a clear issue with management throughout the company as well as I believe the pay being awful for the job you're expected to do.The shop I work in has bare minimum staff with no overtime available and people expected to do 2 people jobs at once. And do it fast.I have never worked for a more unorganised company and can't wait to find a replacement job.
Pros
Discount for store & online
Cons
Lack of management and communication
Underpaid, expected to work your fingers to the bone, don't care about your home life and expected to live and breath WHSmith. Underpaid and refuse to change your title so you won't get paid more even though you are doing more than others on a much larger salary.
Cons
underpaid
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at WHSmith?
No support for AM, hardly no breaks. Expect you to run stores with no leaders. Worse experience I’ve had in a job, don’t bother. Am wasn’t helpful at all, offered no support or anything
Cons
Long hours, no breaks
After working for nearly 24 years I have learned lots of new skills and ways of working, as with all companies there are blips, but overall a good company to work for.
Pros
Working as a team, Discount
Cons
Can be hard work
The manager here was lovely and extremely helpful all of the time, I never felt as if I was abandoned if I didn't understand anything. All of the staff work well together and are polite and sweet characters. The salary was good for an 18-year-old wanting a part-time job.Some shady characters do enter but that is very few and far between the lovely older customers.The manager was very helpful when I needed to change shifts and offered me more when I wanted more.Not a great job if you don't want to be on your feet all day or suffer from back or leg issues.
Pros
nice environment, good staff.
Cons
long time standing
Management more concerned with presenting profits to shareholders than employee wellbeing. Yearly cuts which lead to little staff hours and huge workload. Employees are very friendly and collaborative as is needed which is a silver lining. No regard for safety of staff. Lone working in stores.
Pros
The staff
Cons
Out of touch management
It's an ok first job. My manager was great, I got trained properly and everyone I worked with was really friendly.However the pay is really bad for under 18s and definitely doesn't reflect the amount of work you actually end up doing. It's actually kind of funny how out of touch head office are with the shop floor, because often they make ridiculous decisions, and constantly remind you of how their staff is their number one priority (Even though it isn't).Staff benefits are pathetic, they just bring WH smith's absurdly high prices down to a normal level.In summary, its alright to start with but there's better jobs out there once you've got some experience
Pros
Management, Decently flexible hours as a weekend worker.
Cons
Trash pay, Bad staff benefits, Head office are out of touch.
Too many management with their own agenda. Some were ‘looking’ for ways to get rid of people. Long hours, heavy workload and no thanks or appreciation. Salary was diabolically low, for what was expected, whilst senior management were coining it.
Pros
Cons
Too stressful
After covid, the company got rid of my manager and supervisor. Leaving 5 staff to run the whole store. We were required to work alone and they ignored risks assessments of individuals who suffered with anxiety and still required them to lock up alone in the dark. The staff were getting paid minimum wage to run the store and do all the manager tasks. It’s so sad to see my amazing store turn into a mess, the staff have no respect for the company now and moral is low. I left after 5 years because I could not stand working on my own and expected to do a massive range of tasks in little time. It became a very stressful environment.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Working alone, minimum wage to act like a manager, stressful
Couldn't care less about staff well-being, gave almost 16 years of my working life to this company and got made redundant, was offered 18 hours per week on a trial basis for 4 weeks and my performance would be reviewed. Total insult so took redundancy.
Pros
Cons
Constant abuse from customers
Everything done there is very efficient and they do what they can to manage their stores effectively, this may sound like a negative however management are very nice which makes the process 10 times easier and the job much more enjoyable
Pros
Friendly management
I did enjoy my time working at whsmiths, i met and worked with some lovely people and are still friends now. I feel that staff are very under paid and very overworked and management is really poor :(
Always understaffed, no training given, health and safety totally ignored. Minimal breaks. No cleaners employed so toilets and kitchen dirty. No heating in staff areas, very dirty and scruffy, sometimes no toilet roll, no lights and no soap. Very stressful work as always running on half the staff you should have. Management clueless. Minimum wage for all staff Inc Post Office. Expected to work extra hours and have hours changed and added all the time.
Pros
Cons
No help or support, no training, awful conditions .
  1. Employee reviews