Wickes

Wickes Employee Reviews

I first joined Wickes in 2020 in the middle of the pandemic, and have had pretty steady shifts since then which is great because it provides some sort of job stability. The shifts are usually quite short(4-6 hours) which is nice however breaks are unpaid but you are not paid if you stay an extra 15 minutes. My main issue has been with management. At my store, they had clear favourites which meant that they were given more leniency in regards to work load, breaks(being allowed out ever 5 minutes for a cigarette break and taking longer then their 30 minute breaks). Managers tend to be rude and unhelpful, which overall creates an uncomfortable working environment as you feel as though you cannot go to them for help. Customers are allowed in without masks, and are allowed to abuse staff as they do not want to loose business which further creates stress and anxiety in the current time. Further more, if you have to take a day off due to sickness then you are penalised and looked down upon for this, despite being unwell. Another issue is that although there are plenty of shifts available if you’d like them, managers often change rotas last minute with one or two days notice which affects your social life greatly.
Pros
Friendly colleagues, good rate of pay(18-21 year olds receive ÂŁ8.20)
Cons
Unpaid breaks, rude customers, unhelpful managers
Wickes is fine, as long as you enjoy being a drone. In the time I was there I had two managers (out of six - yes, the turnover is that bad) who I actually thought gave a fig about the place and staff. One pitched in whenever and worked his behind off with the team (impressive) and the other took note of colleague ideas and issues and actually listened. A few of the supervisors merit a mention too, as they seemed to be the only other part of the management team that seemed to give a darn about the staff. Overall however I wouldn't recommend the place as a good employer. Most of the management I experienced gave little regard for their staff, except for their favourites. Contrary to their ads they don't value input and ideas, don't regard staff as anything apart from drones to be ordered about, and value you as long as you keep your opinions to yourself. As for development and advancement they are virtually non existent. Training and product knowledge sessions, while reasonable when I joined, soon evaporated and after that it was left down to the individual to find out about stuff. Teamwork suffered from the aforementioned favouritism, and the cliquey nature of the team. And jockeying for promotion is virtually pointless. After years being there I was finally offered a spot miles away, the travel to which would have meant a pay CUT and left me on less than minimum wage for the hours put in, after travel expenses. If you're looking for a job to keep your head down and be a mindless little drone, by all means apply; If you want a job where you're actually valued and encouraged - more...
Pros
Only the staff discount.
Cons
Disinterested management; Little training or opportunities.
If your face fits you're laughing. You'll get free reign to do what you want. If your face doesn't you're made to feel like you're useless, constantly blamed for things that aren't your fault, criticised and made to feel you're rubbish at your job, isolated, not rewarded for hard work, and left to do the work of two or more people. You don't receive proper training and support to gain confidence when you start. Management slag you off to everybody and don't support you when you need it. They're incapable of paying you properly, refuse to give you a bigger contact even though you've always done full time hours, but will give bigger contracts to their favourites.
Pros
Some great colleagues and customers, bonuses when you can get them
Cons
Favouritism, not supported, not paid right, left to do 2+ peoples jobs, spoken to like rubbish, not respected, no positive reinforcement
Great place to work it’s fun and enjoy the job 2 days are never the same and most of the lads are great ppl and the lasses are a good laugh also mangers are great it’s a good place to work with a great sense of team. Only thing wrong is the hours cleave u contracted so a certain amount and can do as much as u want for months on end so used to a full time wage however out of blue that all stop and just get ya contracted hours so some ppl have 2 jobs to get by. U can progress pretty quickly at wickes if u put the time and effort in and the mangers acknowledged your hard work by saying thank you at the end of every shift like I said great place funny characters staff and customers just the hours if they get this sorted is the perfect job for a person just wanting a min wage job to start u will get somewhere in the company if your willing to weight your turn
Pros
The job the mangers
Cons
The contract
Freezing cold warehouse in the winter, all loading bay doors are fully open 24/7, pretty sure it’s colder inside than it is outside, absolutely no need for them all to be open all the time.Heavy lifting majority of the time, poor pay, you don’t get bank holidays off unless you try to book them, working between Xmas & new year.Management set up is dreadful, really haven’t got a clue to be honest, they just start flapping when a senior manager appears, which is quite funny to watch.Your told to use mobile phones in designated areas only, but this clearly doesn’t apply to management, just sit in the office on them all day.Always going on about pick figures and targets.Canteen is good although very expensive.Leaving during the covid pandemic is ridiculous though.You start to que up at 1:50pm, and because there is only 1 clocking out machine, it can be 2:10 by the time you get to it, which to me is a joke, as you’ve stopped being paid, if you 10 minutes late you’d be docked money, just don’t get it.Management always tell you to social distance but they don’t during the shift, crazy !Some ok people there, but it can be clicky & you certainly don’t feel like it’s a team etc.They love the word hygiene, basically if work is quite go tidy up.
Pros
2 paid breaks
Cons
Heavy lifting & poor pay
Plenty to learn. You can progress in your career. Colleagues are amazing. Customers are a bit hard in the area but they definitely keep you on your toes. I love Wickes and all that has given me.
You are not treated with respect, really cold in winter time, bad management and they don't care about work conditions and targets, heavy lifting required on all departments.
Pros
Canteen is ok.
Cons
Cold, bad treatment
I really enjoyed working with the team as well as it was a good paid job to be working at, I would recommend working there for anyone who has a chance.
Pros
Long breaks, very understanding managers, fast paced environment, good teammates
Cons
Late finish, a lot of paperwork to fill out, need more steps for short people
The work could be fun if you had the right people however for the most part it was a very depressing job, facing the shelves was horrible . The managers are extremely immature and would often criticise your work at any opportunity. This wouldn’t be so bad if they weren’t as lazy as they were.
Pros
Funny people
Cons
Not flexible
Bully managers, high targets, no quality of life. They expect Design Consultants to sign their life away. You’re lucky or you get paid right. Poor customer service and poor quality products. They expect you to solve fitter issues when kitchen/bathrooms are fitted poorly. Delayed delivery services, damaged items all fall on the Designer to handle. Bizarre that they even have a customer service. They do little to nothing. It’s very “clicky” managers never keep things to themselves even when things are spoken about in confidence. Overall a horrible place to work. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, poor communication, no customer service overall horrible workplace
Very poor management at Wickes Newcastle extra, they get away with bullying and treating you like dirt. Was refused to be sent home when I had a fever (as per government guidelines) they’re a disgrace!Long hours, no work life balance and full of bullies
Pros
Some good people to work with
Cons
Lots of bullying in the workplace
I enjoyed working there unfortunately my probation period ended and so did my contract mainly due to being off sick. I did receive more individual training by staff members rather than management. I wouldn't say there was any hard part of the job, if anything it would be learning to use the computer for research and bookings, if trained well to start with it would make it easier.
Pros
Free coffee, tuck shop on site
Cons
Not enough hours
Been at Wickes better part of a year now, it's a nice place to work mainly for the people you work with and the regulars, the actual work itself is pretty mundane with little change up bit figured it would be when getting into it. There are a few staff who definitely have their favourites and if you pipe up they'll make sure you get lumped in the tills for hours and can get a bit arsey about breaks (which are unpaid) but this isn't that common of an occurrence but if going for the job be wary of it and stand your ground from day one. The majority of the time at work goes by pretty quickly and most people you work with are a laugh and that helps overcome the more boring parts of the job.Another downside is the way hours can be divided you can be working from before midday till after 8pm then the day after be in at 630am so the schedules are a bit over the place but not too bad once you find your rhythm.Another big plus is job security especially in these uncertain times and the 20% discount is appealing too. If the store performs well you can get bonuses aswell which helps bump the fairly meager pay up but isn't a consistent thing.All in all 3/5Pros: good people, nice managers/staff most of the time, discounts, work can feel rewarding sometimes.Cons:Minimum wage, expected to work through unpaid breaks if busy sometimes, favouritism, hypocrisy.
Pros
Most of the staff are great, regulars are a laugh, keeps you fit, discount card and discounts for many retailers
Cons
Unpaid breaks which can be expected to work through, favouritism, low wage, odd shifts
You have No control over workloads as management and staff have access to your calendar and can over load it with appointments that you struggle to achieve, so unpaid extra hours are the norm. Management and customer services give no support so the culture is everything leads back to the designer to sort out.Store managers, core staff and k and b advisors are resentful of the salary you get and you are isolated and un supported with your workloads.It is an us against them conflict environment between designers and the rest of the staff.All the designers in my store left before me as staff turnover is very high. Stress and pressure and working every weekend is the norm.Because commissions can be high if you are selling company attitude is that designers are responsible for everything. Senior management care only about core part of the store and only care about pressurising designers for higher sales targets constantly. If you value your long term health avoid this company at all costs.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unreasonable workloads, stress, conflict daily
Greta company to work for sorry to be leaving good bosses great products great team work clean friendly great customer service can be busy getting through to customer service at times
It’s a really good place to work and both the staff and management are pretty good. They won’t let you down. It’s a really good friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Good working environment
Lowest pay rate of all diy business's, managment don't care about anyone unless you are one of the favourites. If your face doesn't fit you won't get any training or chances to advance which is the opposite to what is promised in the company handbook. And even the Christmas do is arranged so only the favourites can go. You'll get a 10 hour contract, with a bit of over time, but this will be taken off you and given to the favourites. Some managers force people to work their unpaid breaks and do extra so if you like working for 9 hours with no break this is fine.. Not a good place to work. Oh and very few of the staff, including the managment do not have the knowledge of using tools, etc so they can't give customers any real advice. Not a good place to work..
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Everything else
I was recommended a job a Wickes by a good friend. I love the staff here, they're all like one big family and they will always listen if you need help. The pay isn't the best but it pays the bills. It is a very physically demanding job, which I enjoy, because it helps keep me in shape too.
Pros
Free tea/coffee, lovely staff, flexible hours, seated smoking area, very mental health aware.
Cons
unpredictable hours, low pay
Whilst working for this company I was held up in an armed robbery, I was given no support by senior management at all I was lied to with reference to changes made and the operations manager took 15 days to apologise for what had happened, I was then given false assurances over a store manager position, as a new operations manager brought a friend in, and the final nail in the coffin wa being dismissed for allowing goods to leave the store without full payment and having to go to a tribunal and offered out of court settlement so please do not recommend this company to anyone
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
Terrible place to work. Store manager talks down to you and belittles you. Do not care about your safety during the covid outbreak and treats shielders terribly. forced out.
I really enjoyed my job at wickes its just unfortunate that the pandemic cost me my job .Long hours but worth it , very good company to work for .Customer satisfaction my big one
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Could be stressful
  1. Employee reviews