Wigan Council logo
Wigan Council

Wigan Council Employee Reviews

Supportive environment

Managers are supportive. Good salary and other benefits. Worthwhile job and everyone trying to work towards same goal. However, some teams are not as positive.

Underpaid, under Appreciated

To many restructures, management constantly making different decisions you don’t know what the future holds, ask yourself is the job security and pension worth it for the money they pay ??? Much better paid companies out there with better management and conditions. Previous management did a far better job the workload reflected the salary New management trying to constantly push to hard with no incentives ££, encouragement or acknowledgment of the work you do senior management are in it for themselves,

Pros

Pension

Cons

Underpaid

Bullying culture

Horrible place to work, very, very clicky. I was bullied and harrassed for ages experienced racism too and blamed for things that i hadnt done. HR were useless too. If you are an ethnic minority do not waste your time here, they cant stand diversity here at all.

Pros

Cons

Bullying culture, Poor HR processes, Vile managers

Over wall good place to worm

Good place to work, great environment and great colleagues. Got good support throughout as I was only an apprentice. Come out with great qualifications which has helped me with my future

Enjoyed it

Want and expect too much for what they pay you. No job security . If your face don't fit your out . They lie and try to big things up. The worse you are at your job it seems the higher you will go in your career In General . They ralk a lot dont really say much. They are always busy but dont really get much dont

Review of working for Wigan Council

Gained a position with the council a while ago. Time from application to interview was around 5 weeks. Interview was a mixture of questions about the deal and different scenarios.

Pros

Generous annual leave, paid time off sick, relaxed work environment, great colleagues

Cons

Unsociable hours, sleep enhancement rate very low

Constant restructure

Wigan Council has the habit of carrying out constant restructures and making staff redundant despite suitable jobs being available within their teams. Restructure has been used by management to get rid of staff they have a personal problem with despite having no issues with performance - something I have seen in several departments. It has also been used by management as a 'stick' to work staff to their limits with the threat of restructure looming constantly. Ironically a large proportion of staff who have been made redundant by the Council and received payment are then employed elsewhere within the organisation. Wigan Council place more stock in buzz words around the deal and deal behaviours over experienced hard working staff. Good benefits in leave and flexi time.

good worth ethic, fair

telephone calls, reception, data input, minute taking, good team moral, flexible, one to one supervision, involved in may decision making as team meetings were a regular occurance

Don’t work for Wigan council

Wigan council do not care about you as a employee you are merely a number and if you have problems at home or fall ill or god forbid have a death in the family they do not care(unless you are a office worker) they also do not like you having a point of view or being a spokesperson for the union,Wigan council are far from being the “caring council” believe me

Awful place to work

Awful place to work, there is no job security due to company restructures happening far too often. Pressure from managers being unnecessary and hard work.

Jobs at Wigan Council

See more jobs

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and children I work with. I worked in different schools across the borough from primary and high schools.

Depending on what department

When I worked in the HR department, I loved it, I thought it was amazing, it was like a family. Everyone was so lovely and they became your friends within a couple of minutes, we all stuck together. When I left, as my job wasn't permanent in HR, and went to work for the Skills and Learning Team I was verbally bullied a lot by the woman I was supposed to work with daily and report to. I ended up in hospital due to illness and she constantly made me feel bad about not being in work as she had to do everything and said I was 'over reacting'. When I informed my manager of the bullying, nothing was done, so I kept on complaining, still nothing was done and the bullying continued. So I would be careful what department you chose to work in.

Pro's & cons

Constant restructuring. Training, development and support is good some management better than others, loved my job but was time to develop myself so took Early redundancy

A rewarding experience.

Good employer , reasonable pay and good benefits. Good pension ,holiday leave and ability to contribute extra funds to pension through AVC,s. Flexitime and special leave arrangements.

OK to work for

Was OK to work for, some managers and supervisors didn't have a clue what they where doing and got in the position by either brown nosing, flashing their bits or because they knew someone higher up. Pay was terrible for the role I did and I found the place quite sexist with a different rules for the women who did the same job with same pay as the men.

Amazing staff, good environment

Looks after thief employees well-being and development, always respected our wishes and wanted what’s was best for us. Learned a lot also get the opportunity to grow in the company and change roles if you wish

I loved working as a lunchtime assistant

I'm really hoping another vacancy,for another opportunity to work as a school lunchtime assistant closer to my home in kitgreen,I actually loved working at school,and miss my wages of course

Front line staff undervalued

Was with council for 10 years mostly unoticed and under appreciated, higher management are way over payed and look down on the hard working front line staff who are the ones working hands on and actually care about the service they provide, they get over worked under paid and get all the blame when it goes wrong .

Pros

Good work teams

Cons

Over paid bad managers, too many chiefs not enough Indians

Good Organisation to work for

Wigan Council is an innovative organisation always willing to try new ways of working to create the best community. The attention to detail in relation to quality has encouraged me to develop and improve my practice as an assessor/tutor.

Pros

work flexibility

Cons

n/a

Good Job Role

This job was voluntary. So I had a mixture of different things to do. However, it provided me with good experience within the planning sector, and I would encourage people to work there.

Pros

Flexible

Double edged sword.

This review does not reflect Wigan council directly, it's a company which is a part of the council and runs cleaning, dining and caretaking of schools. Dubious management who 'fabricate' a disciplinary of their own making due to whoever pays the money. No interest in the 'duty of care', whoever ever pays is telling the truth and this company magnetises to this fact regardless of truth. I wouldn't bother personally as the management are as useful as politicians and follow the money regardless of your input. Watch your back.

Pros

Good until you meet liars.

Cons

Liars

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wigan Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement