Wilko
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Wilko Pay & benefits reviews: Customer Service Representative

Wilko was a good place to work temporarily, but not really on a long-term basis. There is practically no advancement and shift variations (or lack thereof) could be frustrating.The job was easy and could sometimes be satisfying, but bad management often made you look incompetent in front of customers.I would reccomend Wilko if you need a simple part-time job and like tidying up! If you want progression and job satisfaction though, it may not be the best choice.
Pros
Overtime always available, staff discount, fast-paced
Cons
Frustrating management decisions, low pay, repetitive
Wilko is a good retailer and the benefits are great for employees. You get a 20% Discount card for anything in store and the shifts can be good for students. Management were mostly good and professional. Work can be hard during busy periods but all things considered, it's not a problem. Would recommend for anyone looking for casual, nothing serious.
Pros
discounts, casual, easy work
Cons
short hours, weekend work
There are almost no benefits apart from a 20 percent discount card for the employees. The supervisors aren't interactive enough with the team members. If an employee is off sick due to coronavirus they only get one period off paid. The holiday scheme is an absolute joke. No holiday can be carried over even if you have not used any at all.
Pros
20 percent discount in store
Cons
Holiday scheme. Supervisors
The staff are really nice, however the some of the management team are rude and passive aggressive. They have unrealistic expectations of the work you have to complete in the time given. They disregard your contract at times they need you, however don’t count your consistent over time when you’re off sick. Poor organisation of holidays - I booked a holiday 4 months in advance they refused to pay me for because they claimed it was short notice. They DO NOT pay double for bank holidays such as Boxing Day. Over all this whole company just exploits and uses their workers as much as they possibly can, by extending the hours of the shop being open resulting in workers having to stay past 10pm finishing off work. Also, without raising pay over the COVID period.
Pros
20% discount, really nice and funny team
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, some rude staff, bad holiday booking, understaffed
I would recommend as a good place to work. There is a core of long term workers who help you settle into the job. The managers are friendly. Banbury is one of the best performing stores in the region which is a reflection of communication between management and staff. One of the best jobs of my career to date and in some ways I regret leaving.
Pros
Holidays, friendly staff, discount and occasional thank you gifts from management.
Cons
Wish they would embrace mental disabilities more.
I worked at a Wilko store for over a year before I found a different retail job with much better pay and working conditions. I didn't know it at the time, but after working at a different store for a while I realized just how unorganized and strange my experience at Wilko was. First off, I had a group interview which was something more akin to school activities. They made us work in teams to build structures out of spaghetti and marshmallows, for example, and we raised our hands to answer or ask questions about the job. This was good in a way, because it was basically impossible to fail this interview, however it also meant that you weren't asked personal questions about your flexibility or retail experience etc. I was put on weekday shifts in the afternoon after I began, however this was in the summer holidays and I was soon going back to sixth form for my second year. When I told them I could no longer work weekday shifts they berated me for not letting them know I was a student. For one, I was 17 at the time, of course I'm a student, and secondly it was on my CV that I attended college and this was something you surely should have asked in the interview anyway??? Shortly after beginning I also learned just how absolutely terrible they were at training their staff. I was put on shop floor to begin with which was absolutely fine, but eventually they told me I'm expected to help out on tills and I was sometimes put on them without having yet been trained how to use them. So basically I could scan things and give people change but that was it. If a customer had a return - more...
Any benefits received go right back into the companies pockets e.g. your ÂŁ10 (yes only ÂŁ10) Christmas bonus which is in the form of a wilko voucher. The management have favourites which is not monitored by the company to ensure that equal opportunities are available to all staff members. Stores are dropping to bits and becoming unsafe but nothing is fixed.
Discount good Friendly colleges Poor hours Expected to do over time Slow with rotas Barely any training No support from head office Uncomfortable uniform's
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours
I have visited and been lent to a lot of stores at wilko and depending on the manager they can be very different places to work. I want to start by saying that my store has a great manager, They are Fair, Friendly but Firm when they have to be. And the majority of the staff are lovely people.. however.. The problem with wilko as a company is they do not employ many staff (other than management team) over 16 hours, and from what i've heard its a restriction the head office have put into place. This has been the ONLY reason we have lost good, productive staff. And the company is continually cutting staff hours and job roles. We are no longer budgeted for an assistant manager and that means extra work has fallen onto Team leaders. Who are imo now being underpaid for the jobs they are doing. But this is true of some regular till/shopfloor staff who are compensating for the loss of our supervisor job rolls 2 years ago... They want to retain the staff they have and are constantly monitoring staff turn over, are contantly told that the work load is too much for their staff but are not doing anything to fix it as well as not paying staff for the jobs they feel they have no choice but to be doing.. no one can truly live on 16 hours (roughly ÂŁ130) a week and we are left with staff that do as little work as possible because the process to be rid of them is so difficult.. AND staff that are exhausted and over worked and get paid just over the barrier to be entitled to top up benifits. Its an awful. Awful system.
Wilko is an ok company to work for, you have to be fully flexible as hours change from day to day, can be very busy most days and always something to be done. Wages are always slightly higher than minimum wage.
Loved the people I worked with, tills were easy to work. Management were awful except from a few. Simple job overall. Lots of extra hours so never struggled with money.
Pros
20% off pay above minimum for my age range
Cons
Long hours behind tills some days - gets boring
Wilko is a great place to work if your young looking for easy money. I was a cashier so easy money it was. Sometimes I would be on the shop floor. Management aren't so great never seen sometimes bit overall a good place
Pros
Decent money. Easy job
Cons
Lazy management
Wilko is a great place to work if you like fast paced busy environments. Management are very flexible about working hours and family life. Allows you to engage with new people every day and experience different roles in the store from tills to shop floor, deliveries and shelf filling. Benefits are good amount of annual holiday and 20% discount in store for you and a family member.
Low wage no security of hours, was offered full time hours of 30 once I graduated uni and they never followed through with it and said they couldn’t give me more
Can be very stressful at times. Rarely leve your till at the time your shift comes to an end. So if you enjoy unpaid overtime and stress this is the job for you
Pros
Free tea and coffee and 10% discount
Cons
Not enough staff on shift to cover tills
Ok Place to work providing you do not have kids As you work Unsociable days and not many hours only given 16 hour contract No chance of full-time hours apart from Christmas then soon as Christmas is out of the way I was dropped back to contracted hours 16 hours
The manager is a joke, if you want a job where you’re actually appreciated then I would recommend not working here. The only benefit is the 20% discount
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short hours, management
Since the company started cutting back a few years ago Wilko has certainly gone downhill and I would avoid working here at all costs. You soon start realise that the company does not care about its staff. You are part of a team that is extremely short-staffed. You certainly notice this if you work on the checkouts. Sometimes I would be the only one on a till by myself. Almost every position in the store is affected by the lack of staff. This includes working delivery and stacking shelves. You will be rushed off your feet, abused/shouted at by customers and tasks will become almost impossible to complete. Alongside that management will constantly bug you and dish out even more work for you to do. Its constant pressure from the company and eventually it will hit you like a tone of bricks. I have seen staff upset, stressed and angry due to this. When you do raise these issues with the company you will not receive a proper answer. They will just tell you how time is money etc. Wilko is a very busy, unhealthy, depressing and stressful environment, avoid it at all costs.
Everyone was so welcoming when I started my job, they were so lovely. New year and in the school holidays hours are cut down which isn’t good but apart from that, it is very good hours and good pay. Not the best for working for a living, can’t guarantee your shifts.
Pros
Welcoming staff, always get a break after doing 4 hours
Cons
can’t guarantee when your hours are. No set hours. Don’t replace staff when leaving
Discount is brilliant, downside to this job is the hours. Shifts are only 3 hours long and they only offer short contract hours. Never any over time available and budgeting always affects wages. For a family run business they don’t take into consideration how things like hours cut may affect the staff & their families.
After working for Wilko for a couple of weeks it became clear that this company is in need of real management change/ training.I worked for this company for nearly 3 months and i know thats is not a long period but given the issues I had over this short period of time i feel speaks volumes. The store i was working at based in Reading, was under temporary management from another store manager due to its bad performance. The hrs given would be changed day to day sometimes even that very shift! with no consultation with staff members, often leaving staff needing to continue work after their shift had finished with no notice given. I understand the need for "flexibility" but fore warning or just a courteous request to work later would be good. But the real issue for me was that after agreeing to work longer and or extra shifts to "help" the company , the hrs provided were more often than not , not kept record of and many times staff were incorrectly paid/ under paid. I raised these these issue with the management several times but my complaints always seemed to fall upon def ears ,or being passed on to other management / supervisors? and ended up with me feeling awkward having to keep pointing these problems out. The staff members i worked alongside with were all very easy to get on with and I enjoyed being part of a team with them, some of which were long serving members of staff (5+yrs) but even they would comment on how bad things had become. So overall great team members , but the lack of apparent management and poor communication with staff and failure to actually pay staff - more...