William Hill

United Kingdom1,567 reviews

Found 1,567 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,698 reviews
hillbettingshopunsociablebetlonebpmgambling

Undervalued

Great work environment for your get people, quick to progress. However once you have reached shop manager it all stops and management doesn’t appreciate value loyalty or experience. They want ‘yes’ people.

Do not do it

Awful awful awfulHorrible management Cashiers ok This place isn't fit for any human being to work. Management have no respect for any staff. Please take my advice and dont apply your worth more than this.

Insights into William Hill

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Fair pay for job

Great shop teams and bpm but the fun has been sacked out of the job

We are not paid enough to do the job. We deal with angry and abusive customers for minimum wage and very little help from anyone above shop level. Poorly run business ran by people who have no clue how a betting shop works

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

12 hour shifts working alone for minimum wage

Staff great shift are mixed

Great place just shift pattern can be crazy. Like 10 days straight with how ur rota works. Not many weekends off. Midweek is the same shifts in morning right to shut . Would be easier if stuck to 8 hour shift for 40 hours

Decent place to work

Not a bad place to work but some customers can be a nightmare.Always have plenty of hours available so if your looking to make some decent overtime money you could do worse.

Awful

No work life balance. Spend most your time in work and they don’t care what is going on outside of work, always short staffed no breaks most the time. Poor security feel unsafe most of the time especially locking up at the end of the night on your own

Great people great collaboration

I've worked with such great people - that support me, support my aims, and that all feel like they're on the same side. The pace is fast - but you get the right tools to deal with it. I've had so many opportunities to develop and people who have help me grab them

Pros

Great work life / balance. Great development opportunities and counsel

Cons

Fast paced!

Tedious yet bearable

The job itself is fine; once you’ve got a grasp of it, you’ll be well off on your way, however, more may be asked of you then you expect, for example, travelling to other shops in your area is stated to be a “sometimes” task, but this was roughly twice a week towards the end of my time here (I can’t drive and this was stated at the interview) you're also guaranteed more hours than your contract states, I was on 30 hours a week and normally work 40 at a minimum. If you can withstand the odd busy hour where things may get a little hectic, followed by almost nothing from around 7pm onwards, then you will be fine!

William hill treat you well and is a fun place to work , everyday is differentManagement is very good and always keep you training so you learn new skills .

No work life balance

Very little work life balance, especially if you have children. In my opinion, quite a lot of responsibility and the pay doesn't reflect that unfortunately.

Pros

The customers!

Cons

No work life balance

Not the greatest

Long hours poor management rude customers can’t call in sick no work life balance basic pay don’t care for colleagues only apply if your in uni or something

Average

Great place to work if you like banter and sport.Force you to work long hours, and the management of the buisness is appalling.Colleagues are great if you get on with them

Not bad but not great either.

Not a bad place to work when it comes to colleagues and most of the customers. The pay is minimum but they expect a lot from you. You dont feel appreciated for a job well done, or going out of your way to help people, but they are quick to discipline you for mistakes.

Pros

Nice colleagues

Cons

No work life balance

Good for Part-Time

As a student, the job is very good. Flexible shifts and hours, accommodating management. However, this varies depending on the manager in the location. Upper management in recent years seem to care less about employees in the shops and often leave shops understaffed which, in turn, leaves employees lone working for up to 14 hours at a time, this is not supposed to happen. The jobs its self is easy and is ideal for students, just be prepared to finish 10 days of training and then be left alone to tend to a busy shop.

Pros

flexible

Cons

late nights

Absolute disaster to work please, please avoid

The worst company I have worked for, please avoid at all costs. The company is not fair will try to get rid of you at the earliest they can as managers have a bullying culture which they take advantage of.

Fun place to work

The two managers I had were amazing they were funny, patient and helpful. The only thing that i did not like working in William hill was single managing on the weekends. Lucky we were in a quiet place but i would not want to do single manage in a city on the weekend. The hours were long. The weekends were suppose to be vary but sadly we were short staff so it did not vary.

Had fun times

Love this job due to the two great managers I work with, it easy once you are trained I was very nervous as I knew nothing about betting, but now with support from my managers I know a bit and working the till is easy, getting to you know your customers is fun.

Long illegal shifts

People were sometimes working 7:30am till 11pm alone. They would more often than not have you go from shop to shop to cover everyone’s breaks and not cover your travel expenses. The hours are way to long and you can tell all the staff are exhausted and aggressive from a lack of sleep. You could be on your way to work for them to send you a message saying your working in a completely different area today and till a later time. How can you plan your life around that?

Cons

Long hours. No consistency, short staff, terrible pay. No incentive to be a manager as the pay is barely any better

Decent

Easy job to do, a lot of stressful customer situations though. Nice team easy to get along with. Hours can be long but job is relatively easy. Would only recommend to someone who has a flexible schedule

Pros

Friendly employees

Cons

Rude customers

Poor work/life balance, management lie a lot

I was taken on and told I would always work in one shop, and never have to close on my own. They had actually taken me on as relief without telling me (I had to work across many shops in the area) even though I can’t drive. Worked from 6pm-10:15pm on my own even in rough areas. Work life balance was poor, most managers put themselves down to work one Sunday a month and the cashier down to work 3, and put themselves on mornings and the cashier on nights. Sometimes finished at 10:15pm and had to open at 7:30am the following day. Benefit was that pay is the same across all age groups and higher than most retail jobs. Worked in many different shops, but generally the same everywhere. Easy job after the first 9 months, got some good tips around Xmas.

Good part-time job for students

I met some great people to work with, flexible hours, training on the job, you can grow to being shop manager if you are good with math, fast paced environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Hill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare William Hill with

Learn about William Hill in popular locations

• William Hill
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?