Wiltshire Council

Wiltshire Council Employee Reviews

Management didnt understand i was a single parent with two children and little help. Wanted me to work longer hours than originally agreed when I started. Most staff as a whole were fantastic just a shame the department I worked in didn't understand health conditions or support. I felt very alone in my role and didn't feel apart of a team. There wasn't any job security either
The council is proactive in terms of flexible working, providing equipment to enable staff in many teams to work at home at least 2 days per week. The main council hubs are bright and modern and open plan. The team I worked in was very supportive, we have fun but also work hard.
Pros
Modern offices, flexi time, options to work at home
Cons
Open plan offices can sometimes be a bit noisy
Ask any BAME who has ever worked for Wiltshire. I did for decades. The managers mostly white female, were overtly aggressive ignorant bullies. And the bigger the bully the higher they were promoted particularly in social care. I used to call them anti social social care managers. Social workers would regularly exhibit trauma trying to deal with their heavy case loads up to 50 families in my case as well as returning to be supervised by a bully in a blame culture. At one point the manager turn over was so high I had 21 different female managers in 1 year... all of them racist bullies, bar one. There is an encouraged systemic culture of fear which permeates from the top down, including public humiliation. Ironically the ‘boss-of-all’ in Wiltshire is an white Irish formidable male.
Pros
Nice building, people within are good people, it’s the culture of fear and bulling that is woefully unhealthy.
Cons
There was no effective ‘whistle blowing system’, which allows the systemic bullying discrimination and humiliation continues today.
enjoyed my job only left as we moved away from the area, i miss the job and was hoping to find the same in lincolnshire. The taxi companies i worked with for 3 to 5 years at a time where all good and we got on well
A good place to work. Can be bureaucratic, depending on which department. Good worklife balance, with home working a standard feature. Salaries are good for the region.
Can be prone to cliques. Multiple working hubs, home working, flexible working, pension, clear desk policy, hotdesking, catering facilities in main hubs. Countywide working.
Worked for years and felt part of a team, for the most great managers. Unfortunately my experience after the youth service was disbanded in 2014 my experience became very different. No team spirit. Not been listened to (though my depth of experience was paramount to the work I was doing. Felt undermined and disrespected by management, colleagues and others
Nice place to work. People are friendly and there is lots going on. Disadvantages are that teams work in silos and so it can make it hard for collaborative working. Advantages are that they are very supportive. Hot-desking takes some getting used to, but being able to work from home is nice.
The life/work balance was good however the work ethic in my department was questionable at times and there did not appear to be any accountability if a task was not actually carried out or not carried out well. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting members of the public.
Good place, nice people, diligent, caring and forward thinking. Try to get the best from everything. Driven, ambitious and autonomous. Definitley worth working for.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Witlshire and this was helped by great staff and good line management. There was some disconnections but, for the most part, there was good working across service teams and a very collaborative atmosphere. The offices at Trowbridge are excellent and a great place to work.
The council are good at listening to there employees and trying to make changes to keep staff happy. The level of supervision I have is good and the assistant managers are supportive.
At Wiltshire council, I supported young people to complete there community orders. The young person was required to complete a number of positive activities which included Revamping a van, Painting metal railings, painting buildings, working in charity shops and a number of other activities to support them whilst trying to regulate offending behaviour and liasing with staff to ensure they were signposted to other services if they needed it, eg the job centre and universal credit applications.
A busy department dealing with customers face to face, over the phone, post and email. Hardest part of the job is managing an ever increasing workload with the same number of staff. Good support from management when required. Most enjoyable part is when you genuinely feel you've made a difference to someone
Has its highs and lows. The culture can be poor. There can be a lot of negativity. But given all the cuts and constant risk of losing your job it isn't surprising.
Spent more time on the computer than with clients. Wiltshire Council want to train and grow their own social care staff but this has created a bad culture where managers follow policies and procedures like the behaviour framework to a tee and you can’t cough without upsetting someone or being threatened with a policy. It needs new managers from outside this organisation of puppets to bring logic, common sense and fresh ideas
Worked as a Property Development Manager and was impressed with the system and adherence to protocol to ensure correct management and discipline. Attention to government policy and Council housing allocations.
Hardest part of the job - dealing with the pressures of reducing budgets and increasing public demand and expectations. Good opportunities for those to progress if desired. Flexible working policies Good ICT infrastructure
Good: Flexi hours, work from home, local benefits, good pension. Bad: Regular restructuring, managment inconsistent, lack of progression, lack of support above management.
I have really enjoyed my time at Wiltshire Council. it was my first foray into local government and was not what I was expecting at all. it is pacier than I expected and the staff all work hard - there is a real passion about the community and trying to improve lives. Finance is an issue, and everyone knows they must try and make savings so there is some innovative stiff going on including a digital programme. I have recently attended bites size sessions to see what new technology and applications can do and it looks exciting. Unfortunately, I am leaving soon as my family are relocating so it’s a must leave not because I want to. I am looking for other roles in local government as a result of my experience but I have a feeling it may not be the same elsewhere!!
Pros
The people
Cons
Finance
good workplace culture, work/life balance Length of service can determine more benefits holiday and sick pay good part time hours available to those as required
  1. Employee reviews