Wiltshire Council

Wiltshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom79 reviews

councilpublicsupportstaffflexibleserviceteamnice

cool to work

A very cool place to work. It can be very busy but still relaxed. Wage is a bit low. I enjoy working there. But please look for better opportunities.

home work

If you want to start off in housing I wouldn't start here as this council's way of working is very backwards andpay is on the low side for the work involved.

Insights into Wiltshire Council

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Caring and supportive team

Having worked in Wiltshire Council for a student placement in Children's Services I applied to return as an ASYE social worker and have then stayed since. The main reason I wanted to stay in Wiltshire was because the team I'm in are incredibly supportive - there's a real sense of looking out for one another which is important, and the team manager and assistant team managers are all very experienced and genuinely care about us as workers and our cases. My team gives me a wide range of different types of cases, I like this as it doesn't make me feel pigeon holed into one type of case, and I don't get bored - there's always something new to try. My team has a number of colleagues who have been in the team for 10 years plus which is unheard of in safeguarding teams. Other colleagues who have left have generally stayed within the Council and been promoted to ATM (Assistant Team Manager) on Practice Lead roles in other teams. I'd certainly recommend Wiltshire for someone looking for a children's safeguarding role.

Average place to work

Average place to work, can be hard to speak with payroll when needed. Usual opportunity for progressions as a teacher. Limited CPD opportunities.

An ‘ok’ employer

Always helpful HR staff. An ok employer. Would have liked access to more of the Wiltshire rewards but working in a school this seemed impossible. No problems with them as an employer.

Great workplace with a lot of learning opportunities

Working in children services at Wiltshire council is absolutely fantastic. There is a lot of flexibility from management, learning opportunities, career progression opportunities, there is support from management and peers, collaborative ambient, and we have a great admin team. There is a clear structure in the team and management is always available to guide, support and help.Highly recommended to work here.

Pros

A lot of learning opportunities, flexibility from management and support

Cons

Safeguarding is a demanding job.

Good team work and felt connected even when working at home through the pandemic

I started in a support worker role at Wiltshire Council and then applied to do an apprenticeship which was suggested to me by my line manager. I am now working towards a degree in social work at the same time as working and have lots of support from my colleagues. My team manager is very approachable. I am definitely happy I started working for the council as it has opened doors for me to progress in my career.

Pros

Flexible working, Good work/life balance, Development opportunities, Good team culture

Cons

Working from home can be lonely - the impact of Covid, I have a good manager but I know others who have had a negative experience with their team manager

Productive and great place to work. Amazing team behind me.

I loved my time working at a local school.I had an amazing network team behind me to support me from start to finish. I only left as my contract was linked with a child’s grant.

Pros

The children! Holidays off too!

Cons

Great people doing work that really makes a difference

Great people, really varied work, you get to make a difference and there's a really good benefits package too.Funding cuts do make things more challenging

Pros

Benefits package and culture

Awesome Local Authority to work for with a Good Ofsted Rating

I find Wiltshire Council really want to grow and invest their own social workers. I have been thoroughly supported from first steps as an ASYE having no prior statutory placement experience through to Level 3... Three years later I am still here so they must be doing something right! Always had regular supervision, a consistent supportive line manager and lots of training opportunities. Working through the pandemic has been tough but our teams have had lots of virtual get togethers, coffee breaks and extra support when needed.

Pros

Flexible working - especially being a single parent, 10% market supplement for safeguarding team, brilliant admin team to support, 9-day fortnight, reflective and regular supervision, child-focused processes, supportive team

Cons

The Pandemic and not being in the office as much to see my colleagues face to face

Overall a good place

Overall IT was a huge problem. Nice staff. No exit process as no follow up call. However overall very nice staff. Lovely new site. lovely facilities.

Pros

Uniform good pay

Cons

Will reserve judgment

Good flexible working and great colleagues

The council is proactive in terms of flexible working, providing equipment to enable staff in many teams to work at home at least 2 days per week. The main council hubs are bright and modern and open plan. The team I worked in was very supportive, we have fun but also work hard.

Pros

Modern offices, flexi time, options to work at home

Cons

Open plan offices can sometimes be a bit noisy

It has some pro's

Management didnt understand i was a single parent with two children and little help. Wanted me to work longer hours than originally agreed when I started. Most staff as a whole were fantastic just a shame the department I worked in didn't understand health conditions or support. I felt very alone in my role and didn't feel apart of a team. There wasn't any job security either

loved working and getting to know the young people we transported

enjoyed my job only left as we moved away from the area, i miss the job and was hoping to find the same in lincolnshire. The taxi companies i worked with for 3 to 5 years at a time where all good and we got on well

Wiltshire Counciö

A good place to work. Can be bureaucratic, depending on which department. Good worklife balance, with home working a standard feature. Salaries are good for the region.

Can be prone to cliques

Can be prone to cliques. Multiple working hubs, home working, flexible working, pension, clear desk policy, hotdesking, catering facilities in main hubs. Countywide working.

Excellent before all the changes that took placed

Worked for years and felt part of a team, for the most great managers. Unfortunately my experience after the youth service was disbanded in 2014 my experience became very different. No team spirit. Not been listened to (though my depth of experience was paramount to the work I was doing. Felt undermined and disrespected by management, colleagues and others

Really committed staff who work here

Nice place to work. People are friendly and there is lots going on. Disadvantages are that teams work in silos and so it can make it hard for collaborative working. Advantages are that they are very supportive. Hot-desking takes some getting used to, but being able to work from home is nice.

Good life/work balance

The life/work balance was good however the work ethic in my department was questionable at times and there did not appear to be any accountability if a task was not actually carried out or not carried out well. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting members of the public.

Good place, nice people, diligent, caring and forward thinking. Try to get the best from everything. Driven, ambitious and autonomous. Definitley worth working for.

A great place to work

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Witlshire and this was helped by great staff and good line management. There was some disconnections but, for the most part, there was good working across service teams and a very collaborative atmosphere. The offices at Trowbridge are excellent and a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wiltshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement