Wiltshire Police

Wiltshire Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews

peoplegoodworkworkingmanagementdealjobday

Great Culture

The culture stands out, particularly in enabling services. Colleagues and people make the difference. There is lots of empowerment to do your job, however some things are slow to progress because everyone is so busy, particularly if you are reliant on other people. Lots of staff networks to get involved in, coaching and mentoring opportunities too.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Workload

Good job horribly let down

Good job, helping the public in need. Interesting and intense sometimes. Pay is okay. Horribly let down by woeful staffing levels, dreadful morale and appalling senior management. Strategic decisions made at the complete detriment of frontline policing. A huge focus on buzzwords over substance.

Insights into Wiltshire Police

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Stressful job

It's not for everyone. Its fast paced, dealing with people who have had something nasty happen. Some are very rude and offensive. Others you go home feeling like you've helped someone.

Terrible cultures within

Wiltshire police is one of the most backward forces in the country. Terrible middle management with terrible work environment culture. Adding to that no resources to actually so your job. If you are considering transferring - DONT!!

Good Career if you are the right person

You can make a good career in the police, but you need to be the right person. Unless you are in management, you don't have much flexibility over the way you work, It's the managements way or no way. There is good support and the teams are more often that not nice to work with. work life balance has its pro's and con's.

Pros

sense of pride

Cons

Not a lot of gratitude from public

Stressful but rewarding

I love working for Wiltshire police but with the staff shortages it’s stressful. My colleagues are helpful and friendly. Overall it’s very rewarding to work there

Pros

Family

Cons

Stressful long hours

Not what you expect from the Police

Very high turnover of staff, unable to get annual leave, work life balance - none. Everyone works differently, no consistency. A lot of sick thus a lot of pressure left to those in work

Interesting

A really interesting place to work. As with any company, there is good line management and bad.They are mindful of people's health and show understanding for mental health.

Great job shame about the Management

Beware the politics no different to Met. Just the culture of the Police. Poor Civilian management but no different to other forces. Attracts wrong people.

Excellent

This is not a career without stress and at times long shifts and long hours.I learned to deal with offenders and persons subject of crime. I learned to deal with all the aspects of life that most households will never experience in their lifetimes.I learned the value of management support and colleague support and at times the support of the public.The hardest part of the job is dealing with persons subject of crime. From what would seem simple crimes to the most serious crimes you can deal with.Each crime no matter the level of seriousness has an impact on everyone involved.The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the public to realise the Police are there to help them and support them and not to be seen as the enemy.The most enjoyable part of the job is then to deal with the offenders of the crimes and ensure they receive a suitable punishment for their crimes.This in turn allowes persons subject of crime to feel some kind of closure and be able to move on with their lives

Pros

Helping people subject of crime

Cons

Dealing with the most serious of crimes+ the effect this can have on you

A very special job, in a very political environment

It is a very special job where you can help to make a real difference in the community. I unfortunately have experienced a lack of welfare and found the environment very political. (I'll leave it there as I'm still trying to get some things resolved).

Pros

make a difference, save lives, make friends, learn new skills

Cons

lack of welfare, very political. many are performance driven

Stressful

A very stressful place to work and management do not care. Considering they are the Police the whole of HQ is extremely unorganised. Expect to be passed from pillar to post constantly without sufficient training.

Policing is a challenging but rewarding career

If you said yo me that you had a brilliant job, no two days are the same, you work with great people and feel valued but challenged on a daily basis. I would say you have a job in policing. Wiltshire Police is leading the way, introducing technology to allow officers more time on the ground. Innovative working practices allow you to be the best you can be.

Love hate role

Comms operator for 10 years and was promoted twice to supervisor in that time. Loved every day and the challenge it gave. Dealt with some very cool stuff and also some really awful situations. Every day different. Contact.centre management were the problem though and you will only get anywhere if your face fits. Management very set in their ways which is sad.

Interesting & diverse

An interesting & diverse career. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with Wiltshire Police. I learnt a lot about myself, and other people I will miss the people I managed/worked with.

Pros

Staff

Good employer

Good place to work, however I was in the Contact management side working 24/7 shifts, I don’t think our roles are appreciated by other departments. Recruitment into that are a bit of a farce as the selectors don’t work in the area. Advancement in career if your face fits - both civilian and police . Good pension, gym on some sites free of charge .

Interesting

A typical day in the office would be to receive calls from the public with any issues, problems or crimes they needed to report and deal with them efficiently and effecivley, whilst also determining what course of action to be taken and determine what crimes if any crimes had been reported and record correctly. Management was great and I learnt how to deal with a variety of different people in sometimes very stressful situations.

Pros

helping the local community

Cons

long hours and shift work

Fun workplace

Though the work was hard and at times stressful my fellow colleagues and my superior officers were very supportive especially when I had dealt with a difficult phone call.

Great People

Generally a great group of people delivering high quality services under very difficult circumstances. Good employer committed to employee engagement and authentic leadership.

Great variety of work

You never know whats going to happen! Each day associating with different walks of life and society is very challenging but rewarding. Can be traumatic and stressful or very rewarding.

Somewhat chaotic working environment

Most of the people working at Wiltshire Police were proud to do so, helping keep people safe, but everything was on the fly with no chance for proper planning, constant fire fighting to keep things running. As staff numbers shrunk, situation just got worse.

Pros

A very good team spirit

Cons

Very chaotic working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wiltshire Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement