Wincanton Ltd

Wincanton Ltd Employee Reviews

Had a fantastic 7 years working for Wincanton at asda warehouse in Doncaster and I regret leaving to find new challenges as so far it hasn't worked out and would 100% go back working for Wincanton
Pros
Lots of training
Cons
Working bank Holidays
I worked at the B&Q Harlow (Wincanton) depot where all the management there are related. If you are not friends or family and you just don't fit in they make life a nightmare. The little group always seem to finish earlier then others, never seem to get "random" D&A tested and always seem to get away with everything. If you want a job always getting the worst and doing double for the same money as this family group then this is the job for you.This depot is run like a family owned business where they bend the rules to accommodate each other.
Pros
Money is ok
Cons
Run like a family owned business, long hours, no one to complain to.
Poor communication with office. As soon as something goes wrong look to blame drivers 1st. No progression site manager doesn’t even talk to you. Can’t do deliveries early with out getting finial written warning far better to sit and wait anything up to 3 hrs .
Pros
Good group of drivers
Cons
Treated like s**t
Employee by Wincanton, work for B&Q Branston Depot. Can't tell which side the poor standards flow from, likely more of a local site-only issue. Underpaid, overworked, poor communication, complete divide from top management (department heads and up) to staff. Lack of compassion and understanding for the staff and the operation of site. Big-impact decisions made with little consideration or understanding, usually end up making tasks harder. Managers only care about tick box exercises - told to hire 200 new staff in 6 months - agency send us absolute rubbish - usually quit within the first week, no quality checking new staff, wastes time and money training and adds pressure to existing staff. People paid to do the same job get say with doing less work because managers don't want to challenge anyone. Management completely superficial - only pretend to look like they care when the big wigs are visiting site. Consistent failure to adhere to contracts (eg dragging out secondments long past the contracted term to get work for less money). Will cut costs wherever possible when it causes massive workload issues, (eg not replacing supervisors when they leave meaning doubling the work for others) despite being a billion pound industry. Terrible conditions - refuse to fix the roof which leaks constantly when it rains, even when we end up damaging off tonnes of stock. Do not work here it will crush your soul.
Pros
Sometimes good social activities when the effort is put in. Canteen is cheap and tasty.
Cons
Underpaid. Understaffed. Poor quality agency staff. No respect.
DC4 used to be a an OK warehouse to work in. However, throughout the pandemic we have received very little support from management. Covid rules were brought in WAY too late and face masks were only given to us a couple of months ago after it was complained about. Each area pretty much operates in disarray. I'm genuinely surprised Wincanton still has the contract. Theres very little chance of being able to make your way up the ladder, especially if your face doesn't fit in. Very poor communication from management to collueges. And little to no cooperation with other shifts. It always feels like each shift is tidying up after the other shift has messed everything up. At one point, I might have recommended this place to a friend. But now, I hope to find a new path as the journey here simply wasnt worth it. However, I will say this. This company will give the opportunity for a contract to almost every person who walks through the door, which in some ways is quite a relief to a lot of people. But could I reccomend a career here? No, sorry.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Becoming toxic
Managers are inexperienced and shout a lot often find others to blame out of there lack of understanding of numbers . They also tell workers to work beyond the parameters of there job at times so you will be told to flex at the drop of a hat meaning do extra hours that day and that you dont have a choice and use the fact they put you on a trial that it will count against you at your trial even though these are not contracted hours ! These people are absolutely the worst employer i have ever worked for not to mention at the beginning of covid 19 they had no idea what they was doing so I got sick.
Pros
There are no free lunches, and if you eat from that cafe your butt will explode 2 hours later every time its actually worrying, everyone seems to be demoralised, and managers snitch there ways up the ladder to get better positions, managers sleep with staff and put them in higher positions
Cons
Bad work envirorment, people worry about losing there jobs because of tight restrictions, and the unhappyness causes them to steal or not care about there work, i lasted 3 months and was happy to leave
Good company to work for and very understanding friendly colleague. Very busy work place I would recommend anyone or introduce any person to work for the company.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
Normal hours plus over time
From day one, you are thrown into a disorganised, unprofessional and amateur run place of work.Training is like going back to school with a teacher on his first day, nervous and stumbling, with no communication skills. LLOP truck training is so basic and disorganised, the so called 'Trainer' spent most of his time on his phone instead of teaching and watching.Floor managers and Line managers and all the other managers (more than atual staff) were all competing to be the big guns. A mixture of clueless non people skilled individuals right through to near retirement can't be bothered types. Covid-19 precautions disgraceful, with empty hand sanitiser and dirty rest room/toilets.
Pros
Cons
Disorganised Mayhem
very hard work 12 hour days money is ok for a normal job but for this one its not enough as you feel stressed all the time and doing 12 hour days you don't get time to relax of an evening before you go to bed.
Pros
its permanent work
Cons
its exhausting
Your nothing but a piece of meat with a scanner and picking trolly. It’s all about the pick rate. Management are unsupportive and couldn’t care less. Progression is only possible if your face fits.Company gives a lot of lip service and has a tokenism culture.The line managers have their favourites and if your not one of them their going to give you a hard time. chaotic organisation on warehouse floor, one person tells you one thing then another tells you the totally opposite.
Pros
Cons
Line managers are only interested in your pick rate and couldn’t give a toss about anything else
II enjoyed my time at wincanton Hams Hall. I received double handler training and counter balance forklift. Also i was trained on reach forklift trucks. While I was there I obtained a rescue at height certificate that I was able to use once, when a crane broke down at a very very high position. In the high Bay Area, and with a trained engineer we were able to repair and rescue this crane on a night shift. So as not to stop production or any out bound or in bound loads, from being departing or arriving. It was scary at the time but with the right equipment we were able to achieve our goal.
Pros
Catering on site.
Cons
None for me.
Definitely the worst company. Bullying every day and they are masters of destroying people and ruining their lives! Unprofessional, unskilled management and very rude staff.If anyone want to work here, be aware!For £9-£9.50 driving Reach Truck , you have to use faulty equipment (inc scanners, trucks) , lifting very heavy furniture over 100kg on your own! So there is NO SAFETY! Dirty canteen and toilets, should be cleaner now because of COVID-19 pandemic but they don’t care about Health and Safety!Avoid !
Cons
Heavy lifting, Faulty Equipment, Bad Management
Wincanton/Argos Basildon take away wincanton and might be good work. Start times all over the place promised a shift on days never happened.plus trucks have seen better days.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Start times
Working for this company was soul destroying. The bullying culture of management and jobs being handed to the managers friends as opposed to someone who would be able to do the job is rife.I learned to avoid places like this in future, if you want to be bullied and part of the worst workplace culture, then this is the place for you.The pay was reasonable but job progression is only there if your face fits and you are mate with the boss.But the fact they limit your permissions and don't seem to trust you sums up the running of the place.
Pros
Cons
Unqualified management, bullying and boring job
Job itself was good.poor wages only nice to drivers when you do them a favour. Good work colleagues apart from a nose browner.good place for new drivers though.good training.
Pros
Easy work
Shocking company this is joke management very poor especially nightshift Do you have no idea what they doing never again Don’t don’t work there please
It's not a bad place to work but the money isn't very good, no time and half for overtime which is disgusting for a company this size and try getting a half decent pay rise out of them, they get away with it because they know Eastern Europeans will do 80-100 hours a week for them,Wincanton used to be good payers years ago but they're no better than local factories now.
Pros
Good management, look after people
Cons
Money is average
Most Colleagues are friendly ,enjoyable at times ,very challenging and get pushed and pushed ,get no rewards for anything, managers talk down to you, mangers are bully's, mangers like to play minds games, the place is so diverse its unbelievable,if your face fits then you will be ok, you get investigated for the slightest of things the list could go on and on
Pros
Once full time you have a secured job
Cons
Long hours, no social time, no family time, mangers are the biggest problem
Worked here for just over a year, awful company, management don’t care, big bosses upstairs take all the bonuses and work the employees like dogs! Worked through the pandemic and didn’t give us any reward and took our weekends away from us claiming they are in high demand ( they’re not) proper mickey mouse company that care more about profits than people, only work here if you have no dignity left! Glad I’m out!
Pros
People you work with are great
Cons
Everything else!
After 2 days induction you think you have the best job! You soon realise it’s a lie. The management haven’t got a clue about looking after there staff, so many double standards which they will discipline you with. Vehicles are poorly maintained but you are expected to take out. Office staff are unhelpful and don’t care if you have a problem. If you want a home / work life balance, don’t work for Wincanton, you will be expected to work long shifts. In the time I’ve been here I’ve not come across a happy driver. Through Covid the company has broken so many restrictions without a care, you are expected to come in even when your ill. And don’t think you get paid when your off! It’s a stressful and mentally exhausting company to work for.
Pros
Money is ok
Cons
Management, Long hrs, unroadworthy vehicles
Don't work for this company they don't give you a chance, make one mistake and you are dismissed as well and then have the manager tell you to log a minor accident i.e mirror , and then tell you to fill in the wrong form.
Pros
4days on, 3days off
  1. Employee reviews