Wingham Wildlife Park

Wingham Wildlife Park Employee Reviews

United Kingdom13 reviews

Work experience

I spent 2 weeks doing work experience here. I enjoyed my time and learnt more about different birds that i got to work with. There are long hours but it's worth it.

Worst Management I've ever worked for

I've never been treated so poorly within a workplace, for that matter I've never seen so many colleagues treated poorly also. The welfare of the animals isn't up to even college standard. Within my 3 months there around 10 members of staff quit their position. There are so many health and safety issues including first aiders not having up to date training, one first aid box for the entire site that's missing most of its contents ( used for keepers AND public!! ). The curator I assume only has the job as he's married to the head keeper but has no animal care knowledge. Honestly would not recommend a job here to my worst enemy

Insights into Wingham Wildlife Park

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose

Friendly staff, difficult management

Felt like the managememt had no idea who was doing what, it wasn't out of character to be told to do one thing by someone then another thing by someone else. It wasn't uncommon for my name and place in the workforce to be outright forgotten from time to time. The rest of the staff working were lovely, friendly, helpful and welcoming. I've figured that the majority of them are only still working there out of necessity, or lack of other options.The work itself was physically intensive but nothing I didn't expect, however again it was frustrating being set on multiple tasks at once by different members of management, paired with the overall lack of respect I felt from them.I was paid the bare minimum wage given my age and position, however as far as I gathered I wasn't getting much less from fully qualified employees. Many keepers told me they didn't earn much for their fields of work, some even earned far less than a number of previous jobs.

Fun Workplace

Best job I've been in, friendly staff and management, always willing to listen. The job is hard work but rewarding at the end of the day. I've been taught in many areas of the park which has enabled me to learn new skills.

Pros

friendly management, friendly staff

Don't do it.

Working as an animal keeper here you would have thought you'd be treated with respect, however that is not the case. Management control absolutely everything and you are not allowed any sort of opinion, it's more like a concentration camp than a job. Management are toxic and will punish you for stupid things and have no trust in their staff. Other members of staff who are not management are absolutely lovely. I would not recommend working for them. So many current animal keepers working here have severe mental health issues due to how they are treated. If you plan on working here.. DON'T!

Pros

Large variety of animals. Amazing staff (no management)

Cons

Management. Owner.

Volatile, non-progressive environment

Great place for a starter who wants a year or so of keeper experience in a BIAZA zoo but otherwise it's rubbish. Any experience you have is seen as counter-productive, attitude or childishness. Management control everything and do not accept responsibility or fault for any issues, it will always be yours or your teams fault that something happened. Animals are great and they have a good collection of species but enclosures are poorly designed for keeper access/ease or outdated and falling apart. Everything can be solved with wormer or metacam.

Pros

Animals and wishlist donations from people

Cons

Hours, management, non-progressive

Amazing and welcoming

I never felt more welcome then what I did at wingham wildlife park, it was hard work but there’s never a dull moment there, the fellow staff are amazing and gave me so much support and I wouldn’t change that work environment for the world, and the only reason I left was due to personal reasons.Honestly such a great place to work if I could I would go back easily as I know they would welcome me home with open arms.

Pros

Great friendship, and many benefits from working here!

Cons

Hard work

Good first job

-friendly staff , however takes time for them to warm to new people. - good for a first time job -lovely environment to work in if you love a busy atmosphere to be in - should take more time to check out staff to see if they’re suitable for the job, not just because of the need for staff.

Pros

Nice busy atmosphere

Cons

Minimum wage, minimum time allowed off

Productive caring workplace

Brilliant colleagues, makes the working environment an enjoyable place to be. Learning new skills everyday to improve the standards within the workplace.

Ideal for students

Minimal staff benefits, get sent home when not busy. Family run business. Staff are unfriendly , new staff feel unwanted , only get discount on food on shift despite working in the catering area, no discount on anything when visiting on your day off

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wingham Wildlife Park?

Poor Management

Miserable management, no career advancement, poorly treated, horrid place to work for, pay staff peanuts, animals are not cared for properly.

Fun workplace

It was great to work hear and I have learnt a lot. 3 months on birds and mammals and the on feed and cleaning out the big cats. I loved it.

fun and productive workplace

fun and productive workplace, learned a lot of team work skills also displayed good customer service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wingham Wildlife Park. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Wingham Wildlife Park with

Wingham Wildlife Park reviews by location

Learn about Wingham Wildlife Park in popular locations

• Wingham Wildlife Park
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?