Witherslack Group

Witherslack Group Employee Reviews

Deputy Manager and Holmes manager are very supportive in anything you need help with. Good home to work in because the management support you whenever you need help which is very good.
Pros
Excellent management
13 August 2020
Thank you for your review, they are helpful for people considering us as a future employer. I'm glad you feel supported by your management team.
Since joining Witherslack Group, I have received the warmest of welcomes and so much support has been available; this has been key joining at a time when we are working from home due to Covid!Great team work across all areas, open and honest communication, feeling empowered to do my job, wonderful benefits and future opportunities; I'm embracing and thoroughly enjoying my new role.
Pros
Great benefits package including health plan, cycle to work scheme, rewards scheme, good holiday allowance.
Cons
I'll let you know if I find any :)
I have been working for the Witherslack Group on and off now for the past few years but back in Jan 00 I took on a Part-Time post at my local school. I have had a fantastic time not only getting back to the working environment but being in a such a supportive and positive group of people. Learning some thing new, interacting with other staff - Feels like a family connection.Would highly recommend if their is a post you are interested in.
Pros
Positive working enviroment, great benifits packages
Cons
N/a
Some managers are good but others have their favourites and let staff that are under performing get away with murder while staff that work hard have to complete extra jobs to ensure paperwork is up to date. Poor management in my last home which led to me quitting
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Too many clicks
Its not what you know its who you know.Homes understaffed,3 carers to look after 8 kids with very challenging behaviours. No leadership or support structures for staff .Many health and safety and safeguarding risks and issues, always going against placement plans and policies .A bullying culture within management and the service users arent at the top of the list when it comes to levels of care.
Pros
Cons
long hours, emotionally draining due to high levels of stressful situations.No support from management
10 February 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience here at Witherslack Group and that you felt unsupported. In response to your feedback, our The staffing ratios in our homes are the highest in our sector as we over-recruit in order to deliver our Internal Team Around The Child (ITAC) model. This allows us to provide better outcomes for our children whilst also allowing our colleagues time to develop and progress their careers. Witherslack Group pride ourselves on Safeguarding and providing a supportive environment for both staff and our young people. We would have encouraged your feedback whilst still working for the Group, as it’s very difficult to respond and offer a solution without being able to investigate the detail. We are more than happy to hear from you directly, if you feel there is something to be raised.
I worked for Witherslack for a few years. The company management are interested in making money for the company and not looking after staff. I worked there before and through the pandemic and once i had explained and showed the Union and health professionals of procedures within the home i was asked to write a report so it could be used to teach how not to do it and to leave as soon as possible as the staff were not being looked after Once staff have progressed slightly they seem to forget why they are there and if you don't tow the company line or interested in chasing pound notes you will not go far here, do as you're told and don't answer back and you'll do well, That's why you will read a lot of bad reviews regarding management, I will not give bad scores for the review because i do not want to make out all the house staff are like that because they are not, I worked with some very good staff let down by the few which is such a shame, I enjoyed working with the kids but "doing the job for years" doesn't make you good at it, I have been in site management 20 years before i started here and you will find that companies like this like to promote in house for one simple reason........ Inadequate management skills need people who won't ask questions below them, It's such a shame.
Pros
Mostly great work colleagues in the house
Cons
People promoted from within and it shows in the limits of their capabilities
I worked for the organisation for five months And in this five months I went from one crisis to the next crises as a manager. The communication from the senior leaders in the company was shocking and the way that they address staff is disrespectful and bullying at times. I worked at one home where I have to say it was the worse matched young people that I have ever come across.The region has been through 5 manager in 2 homes that has only been open 2 years and another home had seen 6 managers. The region has had 3 regional directors on 4 years and 2 regional managers.The company pays staff well and pumps money into the homes but refuses to listen to the staff and managers they employ. The company puts the trust in the wrong people and until this changes the region and company will continue to loose good staff.I will say that the company has some really good people that work for them and they do not pressure managers to take kids.But the support managers and leaders is shocking and some behaviour of senior leaders needs to be addressed.Managers and staff are not informed of changes that are taking place and the place runs and secrecy. People leave the company and no one is informed.
Pros
Good pay, no Pressure on placements, money spent on the services and young people
Cons
Lack of support for managers, bullying off senior leaders, high turn over of managers and staff, poor communication
My role has me visiting multiple sites across the group, everyone genuinely seems happy with their role and the overall organization. I have worked here for nearly a year and there has been some major changes but they have been handled very well in my opinion.
Benefits
Cons
Large organization with many layers
I have only been with the company for a month. I have been made to feel so welcome by all the staff from top to bottom, and already I feel that I have been part of the company for years ! The training I have received has been excellent. The passion showed from senior managers and across the whole organisation to the young people that we support is truly amazing. Whichever place you visit, the ethos is always there and the outcomes for the young people is always at the forefront in everything that is done. Its still early days but it has been amazing so far and I would recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Home life balance
Cons
N/a
Amazing management team, supportive staff teams and a new challenge everyday. Supportive in progression and development. Rewarding to see the young people thrive within the home. Nothing negative to say about this home or company. Good benefits and bonus'.
Pros
Supportive management and core values throughout.
13 August 2020
Thank you for your review. It's really great to hear you're enjoying your work with us.
I stayed with this company for years mainly for the kids, but as a company employee well being means nothing. Good managers are worn out till they inevitably reach burn out, whilst bad managers are consistently promoted to the highest levels. Whilst piling work onto those who work the hardest, the work is rarely recognised when it comes to PDR. Avoid at all costs!
Pros
I worked with a wonderful team on the front line.
Cons
Literally everything else, toxic work environment.
13 August 2020
We’re sorry to hear that you had a negative experience of working for Witherslack Group, this is not a reflection of how we want our staff to feel. Staff well-being is really important to us as an organisation, and we pride ourselves on providing an environment where both our staff and employees thrive. Our Progress reviews are designed encourage open conversations between employees and their line managers to manage performance and development. We encourage all staff to raise any concerns with management or HR so that they can be addressed.
I have only been at Witherslack for a couple of months and since day 1, I have had a fantastic induction. All staff have been so helpful and answered all the questions I have asked. Also the amount of training I have completed in a short period is great! The salary and benefits also is great. Management are brilliant, always there to help, and are also at the end of the phone if needed!
28 April 2020
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. We offer a comprehensive induction programme for all of our new starters and further ongoing training to support staff development. Supporting our staff is really important to us as it creates a positive working environment and ensures that staff feel valued.
I have been with the group for over 8 months. The training we received before our home opened was exceptional. The management team at my home are truly committed to providing the best possible care for our young people. They go above and beyond to ensure the team have a clear understanding of the needs of the individuals and challenge us to look at ourselves and our practice. This ensures we are focussed on the young people and their progress. The outcomes achieved in a short time are clear to see for all the young people. If you want to make a difference and be challenged to achieve more for yourself and our young people this is the home for you. If you want an easy ride, come to work to socialise, to duck and dive, or to play on your phone all day, it isn’t.
28 April 2020
We’re pleased to hear that you felt supported at Witherslack Group. We believe that providing support for our staff is essential in ensuring that we can provide the best outcomes for all of the young people in our care. We have a dedicated Learning and Development Team who work closely with the operational teams to ensure we are delivery the best possible training. We’re delighted you’ve benefitted from those efforts.You’re feedback will be really helpful for future colleagues deciding if this is the right move for them.
Not every home is the same and you do have some good homes within Witherslack, some are run by poor management which are allowed to get away with bullying staff! When issues are raised they are brushed under the carpet and not dealt with, home opened and around 9 staff members left within 4 months is not a good sign. Pick your home wisely is the best advice.
Pros
£500 bonus attendance allowance
Cons
Long hours and only £37 a sleep.
28 April 2020
We’re sorry to hear that we were unable to resolve the issues raised whilst still working for us and that this was your experience working at Witherslack Group. We take any complaints about the working culture very seriously, but it’s is difficult for us to resolve concerns without full details. We actively encourage staff to raise concerns with the management team or HR, in line with the relevant policy.
I have worked for the group for the last 5 years across both the Darlington and Willington site. The group itself is an excellent company to work for with many advantages such as great salary and health care plans. The company is growing rapidly meaning the opportunity to progress and develop is definitely there. Prior to working for the group I had never worked in this environment and did find the challenging and complex behaviours difficult to deal with. The work involved in opening an new home was difficult and draining, it was however extremely rewarding to see the impact of the wrap around care provided by the home, education and therapy teams. The support from the staff team is what gets you through the long rough days, the team becomes a second family and the support from that is huge. The job itself is not easy, and certainly not for everyone. However if you can commit yourself to the role you will really feel the benefits of providing a safe and secure environment for vulnerable young people.
28 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We offer a salary and benefits package that is among the best in our sector, as our staff deserve to be rewarded for their hard work and dedication to our young people. It’s great to hear that you have been supported by your team, having a positive working environment is really important as it allows us to achieve the best possible outcomes for our young people.I hope you’re review proves useful to anyone consider a role with our Group.
think this has been my favourite job. We have an amazing team and manager who cares about both her kids and young people. It can be really tough at times so that makes all the difference. Every day is different my only one downside is it's hard to do with kids at home. Hours can be long but you know that when you sign up. I love where I work. I feel the training has been good and the team really pull together. This job is always manic different every day and your always facing new challenges. It is tough some days and loads of fun on others but you learn so much about yourself and it teaches you so many new skills :)
13 February 2020
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review, it’s really important to us that our staff feel supported by their teams and that the role is enjoyable! Having a positive working environment where staff can thrive is really important as it helps us improve outcomes for our young people.
Staff Well being was non-existent!! Numerous members of staff repeatedly injured, unapprecciated and put in unsafe situations and when raising concerns about staff safety and wellbeing, they were ignored by SLT. Even when concerns were documented during exit interview, they were unimportant and simply ignored. Many of the staff members who aren't SLT were amazing, hand working and supportive. Just a shame the ones in charge weren't the same.
13 February 2020
We’re sorry to hear you felt this was your experience of working for Witherslack Group. Staff well-being is really important to us as an organisation and all staff are given training on how to de-escalate situations to ensure that they can keep themselves, other staff members and our young people safe. We would encourage any staff member to escalate any issues like this, if they feel there is something to be raised.
After working in residential management for many years the Witherslack group has been a breath of fresh air, I work in a bespoke home as a team leader looking after very challenging young people . I am part of the management team and I’m supported daily to provide focus, structure , consistency and high standards ensuring fantastic outcomes for our young people
18 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our future colleagues.
I have worked for witherslack for 6 months now and during my time working for the company I have received a high level of training. I have undertaken trauma training and specific training around aces and PBS, this had enabled me and the staff team to work and provide the young people with the best possible care and to improve their outlook for the future. The management are the most supportive team I have came across and no problem you have is ever too much to sort out and be supported. The management team support and encourage you to perform to the best of your ability and to exceed in everything you do. This then creates a team that want to be there for the young people and provide the best possible care. Everyone is made accountable for their own actions which some people may not like, although if you have nothing to hide and enjoy providing a safe, secure base for the young people to thrive from then witherslack is the employer for you!
18 December 2019
Thank you for such a thoughtful review. We are really glad as a new starter with the Group you feel supported and well trained for the tasks at hand. In our most recent survey, ‘improving outcomes for young people is a top priority at my place of work’ was our highest scoring question at 8.9. This is something that we are really proud of, as making a difference to the lives of children and young people is at the centre of everything we do
Witherskack is a growing company with a lot of different job roles on offer, the salary and benefits are really good along with good annual leave. But you have to be very committed to putting work before family life or social life it's very long hours and work load can be very testing. But if your willing to work hard the job is very rewarding with some positive outcomes for the young people.
18 December 2019
Thank you for your review, our growth plans are exciting and allow us to offer great development opportunities for staff and one of the best salary and benefits packages in the sector. We do require our staff to be flexible regarding shifts, in order for us to meet the needs of our young people and provide them with the best possible outcomes.
If you want to work hard and make a difference then You will love it if your a sit back then not the lace got you the young people are challenging but why else would they need special education?
18 December 2019
Our establishments can be challenging environments, however, the most important thing for us is ensuring the best possible outcomes for our young people. Thank you for your review.
  1. Employee reviews