Wm Morrisons Supermarkets

Wm Morrisons Supermarkets Employee Reviews

United Kingdom5,387 reviews

Found 5,387 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,500 reviews

Decent workplace

Usually a relaxed place to work as the job is easy enough for anyone to pick up very quickly. People was a good laugh so wasn’t too bad really. Decent workplace

Pros

Good canteen

Cons

Some managers can be awkward

Not great

The actual work was okay - I did a bit of everything- pick & pack for Amazon and home delivery, warehouse, tills etc. - but management were not good at checking people’s availability and would rota you on even when you had put your availability online and also informed more than one of them that you couldn’t work that day. The rota would often be changed the day before but it wouldn’t always update on the App so sometimes you would get there and they would tell you to go home because your shift had changed.They have unpaid breaks and will automatically take them off your shift even if you hadn’t had your break. The clock in and out machine doesn’t work very well, it usually takes several attempts to get it to accept your clock in card.You have to pay for your food & drinks.Pick and pack is very time pressured and they seem to care more about it getting done quickly than doing it correctly.

Pros

Free food on your induction day, employee discount, met some nice people working there.

Cons

Very short breaks, sometimes very short shifts, hardly seemed worth a half hour journey to work 4 hours, management don’t check your availability, short notice on rota changes.

Good stop gap

It was what you would expect. Laid back. Great first job. Did get a bit boring at times. But we were left alone to do our jobs. Management were ok. But some better than others.

Awful place to wok

You're only allowed a 15 min break even if you do and 8 hour shift. Management are unhelpful, clueless and rude. Often get shoved with an unreasonable amount of work and expected to just get on with it without help. Overtime can be given and if they haven't got the money, the wont pay you for it. Rotas are changed last minute without telling you and you're expected to cancel all plans and go in.

Pros

discount

Cons

management, too much work, can never plan anything as days off change all the time

Non Inclusive & Diverse culture

At the beginning when I joined I felt really welcome until I got sent to my home store following on from my training. The management team need lots of support with leadership and running a store in a value led way, as I was also given a management role I was able to embed myself to the ways of working but not to change my values, I have passion to support our colleagues with development and mentoring, especially colleagues from a diverse background. This company expected constant 14 hour shifts, being told my the SM no one goes home until task done, set up for failure being give unrealistic targets such as deliver a shop with 3 colleagues, pallet every 20 minutes.Morrisons needs to do some work around capability and making changes to operation or else they will continue to keep recruiting as retention won’t be great

Pros

Salary, staff discount, good induction programme

Cons

Long hours, stressful, no support, rude colleagues/managers, felt unwelcome

Toxic and negative

Honestly the most toxic workplace i have been in. Field management and above drive unrealistic expectations which ultimately result in senior store management working increasingly long and stressful weeks fir a poor and unrewarding salary scheme.

too much workload for one person

i would not advise anyone to work at morrisons in the current climate ,management were unhelpful with the workload that was placed on one person and it seems to be worse now

Pros

discount

Cons

too heavy a workload with no help

Understaffed and stressful

There seems to be too much work to do for the staff and hours provided to each store. This leads to a slightly toxic workplace where managers have very high expectations that are simply unattainable. Along with this is the expectation to do overtime and jobs outside your role in order to pick up the slack. Management is also unstable with people leaving and joining so often there is no continuity making it hard to build trust or good relationships with them. Because of this it forces you to distance yourself from the job to avoid becoming overwhelmed. There is however a good community with lots of local staff making it easy to fit in and get along with your colleagues.

Pros

Staff discount of 15%

Cons

Overworked

Busy schedule

Busy workload and no two days are the same. Schedule is changed frequently.Colleagues are hard working and friendly and will support you. Everyone supporrs one another. Most departments are short staffed but that's expected at all supermarkets.

Horrible place to work. Management is horrendous

I only spent 3 weeks working at Morrisons it was the most depressing place to work. No work equipment was provided no training poor health and safety. Over all terrible

power-hungry staff

the team leaders here talk to you like you're on the poo on their shoe, they act like they are so much better than you whilst you do all the work and they stand around all day barking orders. Some of the management staff are grateful for your help and work but others are unapproachable, and also talk to you very poorly. They promised me full-time hours when i started but every week i struggle to get above 25 hours which means i struggle financially each month but they don't care or try to change this even when i've expressed my concerns. They are over-staffed and when people are struggling with getting amount of hours they require, they hire new staff which is frustrating. They don't care about your mental health and they force you into situations that you don't feel comfortable in.

Expected to do more and more for less and less

If you don’t have a life and don’t mind being. Messed about by clueless management this jobs for you , no work/ life balance unless your face fits, this company really are the worst

Decent place to work for part time

Depends what store. one I worked at in Bristol the staff were lovely and so was management. other stores ive been to not so much. Needs more staff in every department

Great environment

Good place to work, but very fast paced. However, if you have good colleagues you support each other during your shift.Customers can be nasty, but do get some nice.

Great salary but terrible job

Great salary and discount. They expect the world from you but give you no help or guidance. Very outdated business and confusing & dated systems, really need to invest money and time into the colleagues and operations in order to succeed. Senior management need to listen to customer complaints and act on them, dozens of customers complaining about lack of staff weekly yet they punish the managers instead of investing.

Average supermarket

Not enough staff to finish jobs. Full time hours rarely guven out to new members of staff. Constant management reshuffles that act as a sticking plaster to root and branch problems.

Pros

Its a wage

Cons

Doing 3 peoples jobs at once

All Talk, no substance!!

Delivery Driver. Training on actual use of technical equipment on job poor, Technology let them down failed to have internet connection out in sticks. Management didn't care, rota's done to suit those drawing them up. No fare share of shifts rota's or days off.

Pros

Pay good, perks ok, holiday allowance good.

Cons

No life work balance you are their slave, your needs not cared about.Rota's not fairly shared out early lates ect, weekends off no way, days off together no way....your life is Morrisons no social life outside....

Poor staffing levels

I worked in the Butchery when I started we had 6 staff has the staff left because of the pay for a butcher is low, the staff didn’t get replaced so you missed breaks did double the work load not a good place to work

Excellent

Fantastic opportunity to progress into higher roles with excellent family value would highly recommend working for Morrisons it was great pay and great team

stressful

Stressful workplace, fast pased, dont train you a lot and it is quite difficult though it does differ per location so I can talk for all locations as it is different.

Good company but some bad people

I loved my job at Morrisons but unfortunately there was one team leader who was truly awful. Having made several complaints to management nothing ever got done so I had no choice but to leave. On the other side there is some great people there who I will keep in touch with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wm Morrisons Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement