Wood
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Wood Employee Reviews

United Kingdom273 reviews

Found 273 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,784 reviews

Wood Group Plc. Great to work with.

12hr shifts offshore work, 2hrs overtime if required.Management efficient and effective found to be fair and supportive.Work place culture and cross discipline teamwork assistance good. Hardest part of job Collating / collecting, container Ising equipment and documentation that was still being used day of shipping return. Good support given to finalise this.

Pros

Overtime given and all ppe provided at no cost to workforce.

Collaborative teams mean global opportunities

Collaborative and global working teams mean that there are lots of opportunities to progress if you're willing to seek them out. Innovation is highly valued and in my experience well rewarded. Management are inclusive and supportive of growth within their teams.

Pros

Competitive salary and bonus package

Cons

Global working can mean long / extended hours - although TOIL flexibility helps

Average Work Place

Average place to work. Pay is ok but not amazing, and unwilling to meet market salaries unless you’re 100% billable.Constant restructuring and business changes make it impossible to keep up with who’s who in top level management.

Too big to get personal

Just a number in a pot that’s too big, not interested in personal welfareChange contracts and promises whenever they want, Not to be trustedKeep moving goalposts for any progression

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Not looked after

Fun

Fun places nice people a nice atmosphere helpful and always willing to help employees would recommend and they tried to progress learning and development.

Great

Loved it if only they could have taken me on as permanent as I was a temp contract. They kept my job open for me when I went on maternity leave but unfortunately couldn’t offer me permanent so I moved on

Pros

Good team, good manager

Temp Contract

Worked here on a Temp contract for a few months whilst the company transitioned from AMEC to WOOD PLC. I was assigned to the Health Insurance department where the small team gave me fabulous training, clearly set out their expectations of me and let me just get on with it. They included me in their daily lunch meets, xmas party and all socials etc. Really enjoyed working here and I was sorry that the contract had to end but the company had been bought out by WOOD PLC and were moving their operations to Aberdeen.

Pros

Friendly Team, Good Training, Inclusive

Good group of guys onboard

Good company to work for paid on time training when required all ppe supplied good feedback family benefits life insurance while offshore make you feel part of the team

Pros

Expenses paid

Cons

Offshore

Offshore Electrical Technician

Poor, poor company and proven blacklisters.Go out for a trip offshore and your P45 is sitting on the hall floor waiting for you.Like to pay you off just before your survival, and different certs expire and then phone you up and offer more trip when they see that you paid to do the certs yourself.May have been a good employer many decades ago, but now just a company that is morally and ethically bankrupt.

Pros

Cons

Could offer fulltime rolls to people, but are only interested in hire and fire and so loose many good people.

Enjoyed everyday at Wood.

Wood looks after its employees. I put the effort in to develop myself and my career. Wood acknowledged this and helped me develop myself both as a person and an employee.

Saving money is all that matters to this company and you are just a number

Worked here for 7 years and had one ‘promotion’ which was actually just them making a group of positions redundant to send to India to do instead remotely, I was one of the lucky few to get the new positions on offer after being put at risk of redundancy. Fast forward a couple years and another round of redundancies when the contract I was on went out to tender, that meant everyone on all contracts were put at risk of redundancy, meaning you had to prove you were better than the person(s) you were up against to take there job, very cut throat, luckily I was retained. Fast forward to the pandemic and more rounds of redundancies again because they were making positions redundant this time across various disciplines, instead replacing with people from India to do the work remotely because they were cheaper (not better), as a result I did not survive and was made redundant. This company only cares about the bottom line profit, they will not think twice about making you redundant if you don’t fit in whatever new business model they employ, definitely one to avoid unless you like the stress of not knowing how safe your job is.

Pros

Private healthcare, Dental and Pension

Cons

Profit before people and job security is questionable even as staff, They want the cheapest people not the best to do the work

Stressful, unrealistic expectations, long hours

Long hours for minimal appreciation- expected to cancel holidays within 4 hours notice or risk loosing job.A lot of cliques: friends all working together and making problems for outsiders taking jobs that someone they know had applied for.Very immature workforce as a result of clearing out experienced teamsShame as this could be a great company if the politics are addressed.

Pros

Some good people

Cons

Long hours, politics, favouritism

Great workplace

Great management , always supporting the workforce and supervision.High safety culture and committed HSE team on hand .Praise good work and keeping to time scales

Pros

Cons

Nome

Friends backstabbing

The level of backstabbing by so called colleagues is unbeleivable, once the colleagues know you are a threat to their jobs they commence to lie about you to their superiors who soak it all in and keep the personel who stitch their colleagues.

Cons

Cons

Backstabbing and lies being told about superior colleagues

Magic time working on FPSO North Sea Jun 2011 to Apr 2015

It was always going to be that dream of working offshore came true. But a marriage and four beautiful children came first. 2011 is when my offshore journey began and although a cliche of that said duck being coupled with water, it was so much more than anything I had ever felt before. The attraction was electric and so everyday spent on an offshore rotation seemed like summer fog drifting effortlessly across the sky.

Pros

Professional Company to Work for

Cons

Loyalty, Having the or a voice and using it to support colleagues to save unemployment.

I love my job

If it wasn't for the strange world we live in now with COVID the company wouldn't be restructuring and my job would not be disappearing . I have worked there for 26 years and enjoy my job I am sad to be going. Its a good company to work for who looks after you.

Not the worst to work for.

For the most part there is a team effort but there is also the undertone of job insecurity you may find yourself paid off after every trip or contract, almost impossible to build up service with this company.

Pros

Time at home

Cons

The threat of unemployment

You're just a number!

After 18 months of working there and no formal training I was made redundant over the phone the day after my final shift of the week. Absolutely clueless on how to run a company, zero management skill throughout the company. No uniform provided either, getting ppe was a nightmare only 1 pair of boots in 18 months!

Pros

Salary was mid range for role

Cons

Culture built on lies and deceit

the best place to work. Highly professional and job progression is available with opportunities to work on different clients projects. Fantastic work

Pros

Career progression

Cons

stability highly depends in oil price

Caring employee company

Very caring management in all aspects Looks after you if you are sick Caring from low grade up to top grade Health and safety compliant Provides training As a contractor treated just like an employee so caring for your well being

Challenging environment following Wood Group takeover

Fantastic colleagues within IT, but limited career advancement and professional development within IT. Given the breadth and scope of the IT function, and it's global reach, there should be limitless potential for any IT person, but unfotunately that is not the case. I put this down to the culture and direction set by senior management.

Pros

Good benefits and great work life balance

Cons

Limited career advancement and professional development within IT

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wood. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Wood with