Worcestershire County Council

Worcestershire County Council Employee Reviews

Worcestershire County Council as a whole is very supportive to their employees and training is readily available. Lots of support for employees

Worcestershire County Council up until recently has been a great company to work for. Lots of training available and support. Recently it has a new company under its umbrella which has changed my view of them and don’t feel that they value their employees anymore.

Pros

Good pension scheme. Training. Pay rates. Holidays.

Cons

New company under their umbrella

Poorly managed

I was left to work out my induction myself, no training plan. No time allotted for training so still expected to complete daily tasks and training in the same time period. No building fire safety induction carried out. Staff have a telltale culture and if your face doesn't fit, you're completely unable to succeed. Management clueless, no support from them. Cannot recommend at all. Everything is outsourced so you have no way of being able to sort out issues in any decent timescale.

Very rewarding & supportive workplace

Great place to work, very supportive of staff. You feel like you have total job security and are very valued. Although the salary is low you are paid all year round including the school holidays so that is a bonus!

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Low salary

Lovely workplace

I worked at St Catherine's Primary for several years.Lovely place to work, such friendly pupils and staff, extremely well organised. Was made feel welcome from the very first day.

Pros

Friendliness

Waited for substantial time

Made me wait months, I had worked previously 2004-2010 and prior to that Hereford and Worcester county council 1994-1999. Not a supportive environment

Pros

Cons

Unsupportive management

Horrible Atmosphere

COVID-19 seems to be an excuse for discriminatory practices at WCC and leadership in some areas of the business seem to think they are above the routine application of good management practices. I've worked here for a number of years and following my experiences during the school closures I have a bitter taste in my mouth that will last for years - my previous loyalty and hard work seem to count for very little. Oh and no sick pay for the first three days of sickness...they wont tell you that at interview.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Unsupportive and slap-dash when it comes to HR practices

Going Downhill Fast

Such a shame that the most experienced managers are leaving and inexperienced Project Managers are taking their places. No mechanism for suggesting improvements from the front line so those seeking to do so apparently only cause annoyance to their so called ‘Senior’ PM’s. Culture of bullying supported by poorly written policy and their HR department. Investors in Policy rather than Investors in People.

Pros

Incredibly committed front line workers.

Cons

Hierarchical culture, no freedom to manage, senior management don’t consult or listen to their colleagues.

Very good

The team at Worcestershire County Council was good but they can be a bit noisy to your personal life especially if you are a private person like I was. But over all you get training which you need for what ever job you go for when needed.

Pros

Problems are sorted

Cons

You have to have your own car

Micro managers

Poor supervision and leadership don't listen. Leaders dictate without direct change due to input from experienced managers. Performance review tick box no real understanding of challenges

excellent work/life balance

very accommodating, excellent work/life balance, excellent pensions, for working parents there are options to reduce hours, do term-time only, work school hours etc

good group of people

it allowed me to work flexi hours which suited my home situation. car parking became more of an issue in the last years so you had to leave you car at home for some of the week.

An excellent local authority

A very good employing authority to be with. I would recommend the Authority.The social service team were great, sorry to retire. I think Acc were one of the better authorities.

Work life balance

Wonderful place to work if you have children. The flexibility is superb. I was able to go to all of my children's school afternoon shows. The atmosphere can be great too, depending on the department.

Friendly

Friendly but fast paced. Competitive. Within the public sector the culture was always changing rapidly, and we had to work efficiently showing that the department was financially viable and competitive in line with the private sector.

Local Employer

Shire County looking to make significant transformation improvements across the Council and the wider County to ensure positive outcomes are reached for residents and businesses

Stressful but reward job staisfaction

I worked as a Lead Teaching Assistant & Business Manager at a Pupil Referral Unit , which was closed down due to cuts. I enjoyed working with the children, and found this very rewarding.

Pros

Term time only

Cons

Streesful

Great job,pity the council messed it up.

Great managers although there was to many of them. Great place to work,people I worked with were amazing,always out to help each other no matter what. Such ashame they would not listen to us about the P&R.

Great and friendly

great place to work. very supportive and provide training for staff in their different roles. there is always someone to ask if needing help. Would recommend

Low paid no opportunities for advancement

Low pay and no oppprtunity for advancement. Far too relaxed. Bad people seemed to succeed. The a very large wage difference between those higher up and those at the bottom.

Omg - Yes Minister at a county level

Frankly think of all the worst you have heard about the public sector and double it!!!!!!! A true eye opener to the very worst abuse of poisitions and a determination to dictate the "direction of travel" no matter what the wishes of the population are

Pros

Public Sector Pension

Cons

The most corrupt and determined promoters of self interest it has ever been my misfortune to witness

11 years and counting

Great employer if you have young children, flexible working, generous annual leave entitlement and option to purchase up to 3 weeks extra leave if required.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement