Worcestershire County Council

Worcestershire County Council Employee Reviews in Worcester

Worcestershire County Council as a whole is very supportive to their employees and training is readily available. Lots of support for employees

Worcestershire County Council up until recently has been a great company to work for. Lots of training available and support. Recently it has a new company under its umbrella which has changed my view of them and don’t feel that they value their employees anymore.

Pros

Good pension scheme. Training. Pay rates. Holidays.

Cons

New company under their umbrella

Micro managers

Poor supervision and leadership don't listen. Leaders dictate without direct change due to input from experienced managers. Performance review tick box no real understanding of challenges

excellent work/life balance

very accommodating, excellent work/life balance, excellent pensions, for working parents there are options to reduce hours, do term-time only, work school hours etc

Local Employer

Shire County looking to make significant transformation improvements across the Council and the wider County to ensure positive outcomes are reached for residents and businesses

Great job,pity the council messed it up.

Great managers although there was to many of them. Great place to work,people I worked with were amazing,always out to help each other no matter what. Such ashame they would not listen to us about the P&R.

Great and friendly

great place to work. very supportive and provide training for staff in their different roles. there is always someone to ask if needing help. Would recommend

Omg - Yes Minister at a county level

Frankly think of all the worst you have heard about the public sector and double it!!!!!!! A true eye opener to the very worst abuse of poisitions and a determination to dictate the "direction of travel" no matter what the wishes of the population are

Pros

Public Sector Pension

Cons

The most corrupt and determined promoters of self interest it has ever been my misfortune to witness

11 years and counting

Great employer if you have young children, flexible working, generous annual leave entitlement and option to purchase up to 3 weeks extra leave if required.

Ok if you are a robot

This was my best job ever. My managers were very nice and friendly. However, management higher up are so up themselves. They pick on the tiniest error and I mean tiny. It was claimed that I made ONE human error due to workload , though I suspect it was more of a budget saving. I was dismissed on the spot with no proof or chance to make amends. Watch your back!

Pros

Nice colleagues

great place to work

Learned my foundations of social worker and ongoing practice here. Good team ethic and good support from the managers. Good levels of supervision took place.

Cons

parking

Safeguarding social worker

Good place to work overall although this can be dependent on management of whom there can be a very high turnover. Some of these are excellent; others not so much. Council will restructure fairly regularly dependent on Ofsted and this is not always a good thing as it can create uncertainty and high staff turnover. Work life balance is good as you are able to work from home at times. It did feel as if more could be done to retain social workers rather than keep employing more.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

High staff turnover and variable management experience

Very poor culture

The worst place i have ever worked. The first place i have been bullied, not taken seriously when reported. Very little training, senior management employ "Friends" with no fare interviews or choice, just "Jobs for the boys" Very corrupt council & not accountable for the way they work!

Cons

Senior management do not listen, bully culture

good

good job long hours nice staff enjoyed my time here however had to leave due to starting at college however work offered hours around my timetable

Local authority in a lovely setting

I have worked for WCC for 7 years in a few teams and have found that there can be quite a bit of bureaucracy, although decision making processes are being streamlined and made easier for people trying to work within the system. Worcestershire is a lovely area to work in compared other more urban cities. County Hall has lovely grounds and the fab cafe at the Countryside Centre.

Friendly but slow paced

good culture to work in of friendly staff however not much career progression and I was on a low salary. Management were open friendly and helped in development.

Pros

good managers

Cons

low salary

Dedicated workforce

A difficult time for public service workers. Management constantly changes and cuts are commonplace. Little leadership. Poor salary, little chance of advancement. No permanent roles - contract only

Pros

Good people

Cons

Morale not good

Pretty good

I started in September and its been good. You come into work you know what you are doing and it is quite relaxed. The chances to learn new things are cropping up all the time.

Just a number

You are just a number in a big organisation. Contracts are worded and changed to suit the organisation. Lot of departments being tendered out.

Government

I thoroughly enjoy working for WCC it was a very important department but we had freedom to wonder around the office or building and everyone was friendly and so supportive. Working for a government organisation has many perks but the downside is that budget cuts cause job loses and so your position is never secure.

Stable working conditions

I always knew what I had to do and it was clear from the start who to go to once I had completed a task. Co-workers were friendly and able to help out when needed.

A negative workplace in general.

Work/life/balance was poor. Expectations unrealistic. General atmosphere negative and a huge blame culture exists.

Cons

Long hours. No incentives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement