Worcestershire County Council

Worcestershire County Council Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.1Job security & advancement

good group of people

it allowed me to work flexi hours which suited my home situation. car parking became more of an issue in the last years so you had to leave you car at home for some of the week.

Very rewarding & supportive workplace

Great place to work, very supportive of staff. You feel like you have total job security and are very valued. Although the salary is low you are paid all year round including the school holidays so that is a bonus!

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Low salary

excellent work/life balance

very accommodating, excellent work/life balance, excellent pensions, for working parents there are options to reduce hours, do term-time only, work school hours etc

Friendly

Friendly but fast paced. Competitive. Within the public sector the culture was always changing rapidly, and we had to work efficiently showing that the department was financially viable and competitive in line with the private sector.

Stressful but reward job staisfaction

I worked as a Lead Teaching Assistant & Business Manager at a Pupil Referral Unit , which was closed down due to cuts. I enjoyed working with the children, and found this very rewarding.

Pros

Term time only

Cons

Streesful

Low paid no opportunities for advancement

Low pay and no oppprtunity for advancement. Far too relaxed. Bad people seemed to succeed. The a very large wage difference between those higher up and those at the bottom.

11 years and counting

Great employer if you have young children, flexible working, generous annual leave entitlement and option to purchase up to 3 weeks extra leave if required.

Be a cleaner or shop worker, you will get paid more

Could not recommend - pay scales of lower paid workers such as Customer Advisers, Team Support Officers & Business Support Officers get pay freezes / downgraded to even less money, while team leaders & managers earn good salaries - ironic that they help adults in Worcestershire to live comfortably; supporting with benefits etc, and Council Tax has gone up, but some of the staff are victims of working poverty. There is no opportunity to progress or qualify unless you start as a qualified Social Worker. Team leaders just leave without saying good night to staff & never praise hard work, there is no appreciation and acknowledgement of how hard staff work, and they truly do. Difficulty booking holidays due to staffing problems and discouraged from buying extra - the whole work / life balance does not exist, it's just an advertising ploy for new staff. Parking is tricky, there are not enough spaces for people in the building.

Pros

Childcare Voucher Scheme

Cons

Low pay and no progression

Friendly but slow paced

good culture to work in of friendly staff however not much career progression and I was on a low salary. Management were open friendly and helped in development.

Pros

good managers

Cons

low salary

Dedicated workforce

A difficult time for public service workers. Management constantly changes and cuts are commonplace. Little leadership. Poor salary, little chance of advancement. No permanent roles - contract only

Pros

Good people

Cons

Morale not good

Jobs at Worcestershire County Council

See more jobs

Pretty good

I started in September and its been good. You come into work you know what you are doing and it is quite relaxed. The chances to learn new things are cropping up all the time.

Just a number

You are just a number in a big organisation. Contracts are worded and changed to suit the organisation. Lot of departments being tendered out.

Best job ive ever had

if i had more hours per year i would never wish to leave, i love everything about it and get so much satisfaction from my job. i would hope in the future to return to this field

Pros

flexabilty and much more

Cons

not enough hours

Do not wish to provide a review

Do not wish to provide a review. Contracted hours 37 Mon to Fri. Great grounding to learn new skills and be part of front line social work practice.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Too many restructures.

Stable working conditions

I always knew what I had to do and it was clear from the start who to go to once I had completed a task. Co-workers were friendly and able to help out when needed.

Great friendly and professional place to work.

I enjoyed to work there. My team was very experienced and professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that they were very supportive with work-life balance arrangements.

Worcestershire County Council - A pleasant and encouraging place to work

A pleasant working environment, with patience, understanding and very friendly work colleagues. My manager and team members always looked to help me develop my existing skills and learn new ones.

Enjoyable place to work

I enjoyed working for WCC and the hours were manageable. Would have liked to have stayed on longer.

Pros

Manageable hours

Cons

It was only temporary

Good place to Work and Learn

I have enjoyed working at the council, The only reason for movement is due to the uncertainty of jobs and the lack of progression.

Pros

Staff

Cons

Uncertain job prospects

only leaving because i am relocating my address

I have worked with mental health and dementia for many years and find this work rewarding, challenging and wish to continue in this field when I relocate to the isle of wight.

Pros

excellant trainig and support

Cons

government cutbacks can impair services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Worcestershire County Council with

• Worcestershire County Council
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?