Worcestershire County Council

Worcestershire County Council Management reviews

Clear

Was forward thinking but sadly declining

When I first started working in residential care for this council it was exciting and I learnt the best way to look after children, I was proud to say I worked for WCC. Following the councils OFSTED inspection and despite the residential service being cited as a positive, over the last year I have seen a massive decline in the care provided. WCC are taking the lead from a council that has no residential service and no real understanding of the work that we were doing. Instead of looking to the residential service to take advise from them it is slowly being dismantled. There is a culture of fear that is systemic and this is not going away anytime soon.

Cons

Too much management

Poorly managed

I was left to work out my induction myself, no training plan. No time allotted for training so still expected to complete daily tasks and training in the same time period. No building fire safety induction carried out. Staff have a telltale culture and if your face doesn't fit, you're completely unable to succeed. Management clueless, no support from them. Cannot recommend at all. Everything is outsourced so you have no way of being able to sort out issues in any decent timescale.

Horrible Atmosphere

COVID-19 seems to be an excuse for discriminatory practices at WCC and leadership in some areas of the business seem to think they are above the routine application of good management practices. I've worked here for a number of years and following my experiences during the school closures I have a bitter taste in my mouth that will last for years - my previous loyalty and hard work seem to count for very little. Oh and no sick pay for the first three days of sickness...they wont tell you that at interview.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Unsupportive and slap-dash when it comes to HR practices

Going Downhill Fast

Such a shame that the most experienced managers are leaving and inexperienced Project Managers are taking their places. No mechanism for suggesting improvements from the front line so those seeking to do so apparently only cause annoyance to their so called ‘Senior’ PM’s. Culture of bullying supported by poorly written policy and their HR department. Investors in Policy rather than Investors in People.

Pros

Incredibly committed front line workers.

Cons

Hierarchical culture, no freedom to manage, senior management don’t consult or listen to their colleagues.

Micro managers

Poor supervision and leadership don't listen. Leaders dictate without direct change due to input from experienced managers. Performance review tick box no real understanding of challenges

Omg - Yes Minister at a county level

Frankly think of all the worst you have heard about the public sector and double it!!!!!!! A true eye opener to the very worst abuse of poisitions and a determination to dictate the "direction of travel" no matter what the wishes of the population are

Pros

Public Sector Pension

Cons

The most corrupt and determined promoters of self interest it has ever been my misfortune to witness

Transport Department

Excellent place to work with up to date training ,management very friendly and other staff members .great to meet different people each day out in the community.

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

O contracted hours

Ok if you are a robot

This was my best job ever. My managers were very nice and friendly. However, management higher up are so up themselves. They pick on the tiniest error and I mean tiny. It was claimed that I made ONE human error due to workload , though I suspect it was more of a budget saving. I was dismissed on the spot with no proof or chance to make amends. Watch your back!

Pros

Nice colleagues

Cons

Great team to work in. Very welcoming and inclusive.

Great team to work with; lovely and friendly and inclusive. Management (Assistant) was really good. But training was not that great. Regular team meetings/briefings/Away Days.

Pros

Great hours

Cons

I was working through an agency.

Safeguarding social worker

Good place to work overall although this can be dependent on management of whom there can be a very high turnover. Some of these are excellent; others not so much. Council will restructure fairly regularly dependent on Ofsted and this is not always a good thing as it can create uncertainty and high staff turnover. Work life balance is good as you are able to work from home at times. It did feel as if more could be done to retain social workers rather than keep employing more.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

High staff turnover and variable management experience

Jobs at Worcestershire County Council

See more jobs

My Role

I enjoy my Job, especially how flexiable it can be. Management style is great, and also supportive. The hardest part is achieving the best you can, in working with the young people to have a positive outcome.

Pros

Learning all the time.

Cons

Know refreshmennts when you attend meetings.

na

lovely environment, friendly and very helpful team, amazing management, job was easy, i did like to work independently, flex hours of work. shame this job wasnt permanent.

Very poor culture

The worst place i have ever worked. The first place i have been bullied, not taken seriously when reported. Very little training, senior management employ "Friends" with no fare interviews or choice, just "Jobs for the boys" Very corrupt council & not accountable for the way they work!

Cons

Senior management do not listen, bully culture

opportunity to learn

An apparently simple job, but the the skills required are considerable if you want to do the job properly. A lot of it concerns interactions with other people. Can you avoid being sarcastic, judgemental, gossipy, bringing your home problems with you? Keep thinking about how you can do the job better, how you can avoid mistakes.

Pros

chance for developing skills

Cons

split shifts

Friendly but slow paced

good culture to work in of friendly staff however not much career progression and I was on a low salary. Management were open friendly and helped in development.

Pros

good managers

Cons

low salary

Dedicated workforce

A difficult time for public service workers. Management constantly changes and cuts are commonplace. Little leadership. Poor salary, little chance of advancement. No permanent roles - contract only

Pros

Good people

Cons

Morale not good

A negative workplace in general.

Work/life/balance was poor. Expectations unrealistic. General atmosphere negative and a huge blame culture exists.

Cons

Long hours. No incentives.

nice people to work with

you usually work with a group of very nice people, very enjoyable environment. it is open office, so very easy to communicate with colleagues. flexible work environment, full support from staff and management level.

good money for easy work

I dislike the lack of customer service skills among the workforce, their unwillingness to improve and lack of appreciation for a well paid (at this level) job. Enjoyable variety in the job.

Pros

Easy job if you don't care too much.

Cons

Have to work with people who want the job to suit them.

Working for a well established company that care about their employees.

I really enjoy this type of work, to be able to support and encourage a service user to be able to live at home without on going care is the ultimate goal. There is a good deal of variety in each working day, and i have learnt many skills from equipment fitting to assisting with exercises and mobility using the various walking aids. The management team is very supportive and helpful. The team i work with are also very supportive and helpful and will go out of their way to assist thought difficult times. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a service user become independent and their feedback on how the team supported them on their journey from illness/hospital to being and remaining at home. The hardest part of the job for me night time travelling, especially during the winter months.

Pros

Job satisfaction, working within a supportive team.

Cons

A lot of traveling

in the work place

The authority subscribes to an appropriate work/life balance and demonstrate this in many ways. Home working, one 2 one managements, Flexi working. Perhaps because of this culture the production element is lost in the "Feel good" environment. Hot desking is widely used but loss of effort is clear when the first 15 min each day is spent in deciding where to sit, setting up ones own work station. and generally getting ready to work. Building quality relationsships with collegues becomes difficult when you are in competition for a seat. Managememt by email is also common which can by itself generate pressure that is unproductive.

Pros

flexi time ( removes clock watching).

Cons

lack of clear goals at lower levels

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Worcestershire County Council with

• Worcestershire County Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?