Worcestershire County Council

Worcestershire County Council Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

Friendly

Friendly but fast paced. Competitive. Within the public sector the culture was always changing rapidly, and we had to work efficiently showing that the department was financially viable and competitive in line with the private sector.

Very good

The team at Worcestershire County Council was good but they can be a bit noisy to your personal life especially if you are a private person like I was. But over all you get training which you need for what ever job you go for when needed.

Pros

Problems are sorted

Cons

You have to have your own car

excellent work/life balance

very accommodating, excellent work/life balance, excellent pensions, for working parents there are options to reduce hours, do term-time only, work school hours etc

Low paid no opportunities for advancement

Low pay and no oppprtunity for advancement. Far too relaxed. Bad people seemed to succeed. The a very large wage difference between those higher up and those at the bottom.

Safeguarding social worker

Good place to work overall although this can be dependent on management of whom there can be a very high turnover. Some of these are excellent; others not so much. Council will restructure fairly regularly dependent on Ofsted and this is not always a good thing as it can create uncertainty and high staff turnover. Work life balance is good as you are able to work from home at times. It did feel as if more could be done to retain social workers rather than keep employing more.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

High staff turnover and variable management experience

Work hard

I always want to work hard, effective and within a team most of all I want to get results and make a difference. I enjoy working hard and to the guidelines that are in place.

opportunity to learn

An apparently simple job, but the the skills required are considerable if you want to do the job properly. A lot of it concerns interactions with other people. Can you avoid being sarcastic, judgemental, gossipy, bringing your home problems with you? Keep thinking about how you can do the job better, how you can avoid mistakes.

Pros

chance for developing skills

Cons

split shifts

No work life balance

In my current role i get paid well for doing my job. I dont feel i have support from senior staff. We work shifts that include all bank holidays and weekends and establishing a awork life balance is difficult.

Pros

mileage

Cons

shifts

good

good job long hours nice staff enjoyed my time here however had to leave due to starting at college however work offered hours around my timetable

Dedicated workforce

A difficult time for public service workers. Management constantly changes and cuts are commonplace. Little leadership. Poor salary, little chance of advancement. No permanent roles - contract only

Pros

Good people

Cons

Morale not good

Jobs at Worcestershire County Council

See more jobs

Good work place

Good place to work. Happy atmosphere. Fair. Hours can be long with additional workliad to be done at home. Support networks are in place when needed.

Cons

A negative workplace in general.

Work/life/balance was poor. Expectations unrealistic. General atmosphere negative and a huge blame culture exists.

Cons

Long hours. No incentives.

Great friendly and professional place to work.

I enjoyed to work there. My team was very experienced and professional. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that they were very supportive with work-life balance arrangements.

hard work

it was hard work but it was very awarding at the same time as most of the time i had to work by myself but overall it was a nice job to be in

Pros

meeting people

Good place to Work and Learn

I have enjoyed working at the council, The only reason for movement is due to the uncertainty of jobs and the lack of progression.

Pros

Staff

Cons

Uncertain job prospects

in the work place

The authority subscribes to an appropriate work/life balance and demonstrate this in many ways. Home working, one 2 one managements, Flexi working. Perhaps because of this culture the production element is lost in the "Feel good" environment. Hot desking is widely used but loss of effort is clear when the first 15 min each day is spent in deciding where to sit, setting up ones own work station. and generally getting ready to work. Building quality relationsships with collegues becomes difficult when you are in competition for a seat. Managememt by email is also common which can by itself generate pressure that is unproductive.

Pros

flexi time ( removes clock watching).

Cons

lack of clear goals at lower levels

work place

Colleagues are friendly and accommodating. Management is very approachable and understanding. New technology and modern methods of construction is always hard but I love a challenge at work.

Pros

i live close

Cons

contract work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement