World Duty Free Group

World Duty Free Group Employee Reviews

Fun work place and very social able. However the times that you work are unsociable. Not much opportunity to further your career. Good place to work if you’re a student.
Paid well in the airport but sometimes there is too much work and not enough staff. They expect more than you can manage and don’t appreciate it when you go above and beyond.
Pros
Discounted duty free items
Cons
Heavy workload
I enjoyed all my 15 years while i was working there with all my fellow employees and it was like having another familyThey also gave us regular training to improve our skills
Pros
Staff shopping co.pension free car park
Cons
Very early starts shift work
Nice place to work, helpful management fully flexible 4 on 4 off shift or minimum hours contract 2 days a week 12h shift; paid training shame because of covid a lot of people made redundant ((
Pros
Opportunity to choose working day, 12 hour shift.
Felt more like a school always being watched and slot of nit-picking from managers with no empathy for their staff members. No work life balance and very low pay. Done the job due to the circumstances. I actually had to leave due to managers not giving me time off out of my holidays for a honeymoon one month after my wedding.
Pros
Met some nice people
Cons
Bad management & low pay
Nice company to work in Normal scenario, enjoyed working shift patterns, very helpful management Good perks, free car park for staff, discounts on airport shopping n food
Pros
Discount
Cons
Too many suggestions from old staff
Worked as a summer temp to begin with, very welcoming environment. I was allowed to keep my bright hair colour and the interview involved asking me to talk about my genuine passions which I loved. The workplace itself is different to anywhere else; as you're at the airport there's a huge variety of people you'll meet and a lot to adapt to because of that. Some customers can be impatient and hostile but for the most part people are patient and friendly. I had a team who quickly took me under their wing and made me feel welcome and I loved them to pieces, being constantly reassured and the positive reinforcement was great.Where things start to fall apart is the internal communication. Upper management often didn't tell us anything about changes, upcoming marketing, etc. And frontline staff were the last to know anything which made it difficult to communicate with the customers. I personally spent half of my time there wondering if I'd even have my job next month as my contract was extended by a couple of months at a time for almost a year before I was given the definite on staying.On top of this there was a lot of internal conflict with people not getting along, talking behind each others' backs, and certain managers picking favourites and giving them preferential treatment. I was also made deeply uncomfortable by how much it felt I was being pressed to give personal details of my life. A certain amount of friendliness is expected at work sure, but I'd rather keep my home life at home.However, the rota was mostly reliable and the workload was never too much which for - more...
Pros
Friendly environment, good hours and overtime, unique environment
Cons
Poor communication, internal conflicts
The experience is good for new starters. salary is not competitive. This job is ok if you want to learn the job as experience is good for learning by the salary is very less compared to others in the market.The managers think about their progress once done they do not care about the others.
Was a pleasure to work there ,great team work and amazing customer service. Management is approachable and easy to talk to . Great benefits too.No two days are the same , and everyone work really hard to get the job done. Feedback is given and the opportunity to learm and progress is as an option (Before Covid19) .I would totally reccomend .
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unsociable hours
Horrible place to be. You can not talk or task unless it’s a customer and being at the airport you can get to the point where there are no customers for hours. Managers (shop floor managers) got there favourite members of staff that they go out with and party with so those people can talk and even take longer break, rest of employees needs to stay still in there work area and god help if you dare to talk to anyone... left that place years ago so and”managers “ changed but it was a main reason for me leaving
Pros
Good company benefits
Cons
Location, hours, managers “at the time of my work”
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at World Duty Free Group?
Edinburgh airport wdf, very cliquey management. Poor work life balance. Too much procedures for doing the simplest of things, too many favourites or if your face fits kind of attitude. I was so proud of myself when i got the job and within my first month i slowly regretted leaving my old job. You constantly have to walking back and forth smiling asking do you need help fake and then wh
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no life as the shift pattern is not child friendly or family friendly atall!
Everyday, hundreds and thousands fly from Heathrow airport. Working in such a high paced and busy environment is very challenging. With my customer skill and multi lingual, I am able to do a huge contribution to this organisation.
Pros
the managers and staff work as a team. helping each other.
Cons
different cultures and different languages. encountered language barrels
If you don't want to be treated like a human being then WorldDutyFree at Heathrow Airport is probably the ideal workplace for you. The management looks down at their staff and treats them very badly, They hind behind the shelves pretending to not watch you but you can clearly see them watching. They try to treat you like a little kid but it's their management that's childish. I could be here all day cursing how bad the management is but I won't, I will just leave on saying surely the management isn't like this all over the world for WorldDutyFree - If they're then I would say they're probably up there as one of the worst companies to work for.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
Bad management
There is always something to do, a fast-paced working environment. Can get along with colleagues and management very well. Always room to learn new skills.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
My interview was relax and I formal as well as informative. The referencing and life checks are need but they took so long. It took nearly 8weeks to start work. After giving notice to previous job, it left a limbo of one month of unpaid gap. Not ideal considering paiement needed to be met,like mortgage and so on.
Horrible work place to work at, avoid if you can, the managers have their own little friendship groups they love to gossip about one another. Managers do not help you at all everything is over the place and they are not organised at all.
I do not want to say much,because everyone's experience is different and individual...It is definitely secure job and not too hard. Heavy lifting is not involved unless you want to carry other peoples shopping ;)
Abusing People every day and night. No himan feelings. Management are useless. Anyone can become manager and them will abuse previous coworkers. Not greatest Health and safety. Womens pushed to work same as amen.
Good company but the salary was poor for management Great people poor management Staff on the front line are not listened too Don’t manage staff effectively
Pros
Great people good benefits
Cons
Poor salary
It is not a good place to work for someone with hearing difficulty as the staff are not patience with time in communication. There are alot of favourism among staff management.
Pros
Discounts sales from World Duty Free store
Cons
If your face fits ok Can be bullying amonge workers and being spoken to like dirt. When you ask questions about the job, they pull faces behind your back. Mb
Pros
Managment can be ok
Cons
Ok if you want to progress