World Duty Free Group
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

World Duty Free Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom287 reviews

airportunsociablediscountdutypatternpassengershiftshop

Good staff discount but hours k not good

Very good staff discount with duty free productsBut hours can be very early from 04:45 to very late 22:30Also it takes time to go through security check (airport safety) so you have to arrive airport earlier

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Hours

Luton Airport

I loved the interaction with customers,that was the best thing about the job.Standing on your feet for the whole shift was awful.After initial induction your put on the sales floor with minimal time to work tills ,No time to get to know products your sellingOne Supervisor was quite condescending and unhelpful one of the reasons I left just as the Pandemic was on its wayBehind the scenes at most airports is appalling, eg room for breaks was a windowless box,awful,took all your shift time to sit down and relax before your due back on the shop floorShifts were awful and tiring

Pros

Cons

On your feet all shift, working non stop, no water to drink- Never again

Insights into World Duty Free Group

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

Boring

There are some really bitter characters there and the management weren’t there long there was always someone leaving. But apart from that is was okay although they really crack down

Wonderful place to work

It’s been 5 years that I was working for world duty free. It was indeed a wonderful journey with some great experience.The management is magnificent the I got all the help from the company for flexible hours time off when needed for my kids.I would have not resigned from my work place if I was not relocating. It’s was a place I really liked and wanted to work.

Long hours not enough pay

Typical work for the airport crazy shift hours, low pay and rude colleagues. Pay was messed up to start and whole pass situation puts so many people off.

Beware of Luton airport WDF!!

Other staff members are nice but the management is the worst! All they want you to do is do overtime, overtime, overtime because so many people left due to poor treatment from management and I don’t blame them! You stand alone on the shop floor, made to clean a lot, can’t talk to other staff in shop and not allowed to go on toilet breaks. They make a big deal if you need to go to the toilet. Supervisors aren’t any better either. They just want to please the manager and don’t care about their staff. Good I got out when I did

Decent

I miss working for World Duty Free. It's a great place to create many strong friendships, and it's very easy-going with an emphasis on work-life balance. The type of job where you finish on time and don't take any mental baggage home with you.That being said, the downside is the dreadful hourly rate.

Pros

Excellent shift patterns, Store discount, Friendly Staff

Cons

Poor pay, Understaffed, Likely to develop back pain

Nice team to work with

Overall really enjoy this job, however the pay as a CSA is really not good. Love interacting with the customers and the discount is good. However like I said the pay isn’t good at all for the job we have to do.

Slow, poor Management.

Very Poor Management, disorganised, out of touch with the staff, and never supportive to the supervisor's.Also very low pay, and no progression within the company.

Awful

Just don’t do it to yourself.The management are awful they have such a power trip. I would not recommend working here. The salary isn’t competitive so you could work somewhere with more social able hours for the same wage.

Pros

The customers you speak to are lovely. It’s a different day each day.

Cons

The management are shocking!

Deteriorating working environment

It’s been moving from one ownership to another and making functional to dis function. Zero communication from top to bottom. management is inhumane.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Used to be good but now it’s just stressful

It used to be a really good place to work but post pandemic it’s all changed . Stressful and underpaid . We get really small breaks and the staff rooms are located really far . Not allowed to have your bank cards on you . It’s a good job if your looking for a part time and nothing serious job . But honestly if you need a full time job to pay your bills your better off looking for some other place . The salary currently is just minimum wages . People and management are good to work with but depends on what shift you are on .

Pros

Good staff discount

Cons

Low pay and small lunch breaks

Good place overall. Travel and security add hours onto your day

Duty free is an OK place to work. Management are fair and flexible. The only problem is that travelling is very time consuming. Public transport is a joke and even if you have a car parking is miles away. Also getting through security is a nightmare so add an extra hour onto your day. The initial checks take forever

Pros

Good team and management

Cons

Long hours and rubbish transport

Good depending on the times you work.

Pros: pay is decentGood discountGet to meet a lot of different peopleCan be a good atmosphereCons:Unsociable hours.Management too much gossip.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Unsociable hours

Boring

Basically cleaned dust off shelves and stood round all shift. Big gaps between flights, managers would complain if they seen you talking to other staff.

Pros

Good discount on duty free products

Cons

Unsociable hours, boring, can’t take water in with you

Fun place to work

Very productive and fun to work as a team and had lots of activities and challenges everyday was a different new day for work.Theres alot of training given because of new products.

Cons

Shift pattern

It is what it is- a retail job

It’s a retail job so it’s got all the problems of any other retail job. Not much consideration is given to staff regarding break times (tea room is a good 5 min walk away which uses 10 mins of your 30 min break, and no extra time is given for this, if you take longer than 30 mins you are told off!) and not enough staff make working there hard to give good customer service when it’s busy. Can feel like you are treated like a child at times, lots of things you are not allowed to do, loads of rules and regulations! If you get to work with a good shift it makes all the difference, bit like any other job in this sense.

Pros

Free parking, good discounts on products.

Cons

Lack of breaks, under staffed.

Great opportunity's

The training provided was good as I learnt about the how Heathrow operated and how duty free operated. I learnt both information about how the day shift and night shift worked while training. The training was over 3 days and was paid. The setting up of holiday requests, payment information and employee discounts was done in a timely manner.The job involved taking in a delivery from the delivery point and transporting the pallets and cages to the shop floor and storage room. The items were then counted and displayed in the shop following the correct plan shelf by shelf. Delivery's usually came on time and the job could be completed on time, but during Christmas and other busy times their was more deliveries which took longer. The team of people I worked with was friendly and informative as many had worked for a number of years and knew all the ins and out of the job. The break time was 30 minutes. Their was options to do overtime especially when some one was sick or if their was a large delivery. Stock counting and cleaning organising of the stockroom happened regularly. Their was not a significant about of heavy lifting other then crates and boxes of liquor.

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Busy sometimes

Fun place to work

Great place to work..lots of new things to learn.really very friendly staff.good break timing.manager are also really very good.its a shift pattern work.

Lovely place to work

Newcastle airport is a lovely place to work. I was there for over 10 years before I was made redundant due to covid. All the staff are lovely and friendly. You grow close like a second family. The store manger is such a good manager. He helps you in anyway especially with mental health. Working in store you get to see first hand fragrances before it hits the highstreet. Working on the tills can be stressful as you need to see a boarding card to access the till. And customers think your lying. The store always does incentives for staff. I know staff who have won trips to Texas, Africa and India. There is a shift pattern of 4 on 2 off so you only get one weekend off every 6 weeks but holidays are pretty easy to get. You have to clock in and out of your shift also.

Pros

Discount, bonus. Lovely staff, long breaks

Cons

You have to go through Security every morning so you need to add an extra half hour on your travel

Stressful and demanding!

If your face fits then you may be ok. Very cliche and stuck up. Expectations are extremely high. Staff generally try to avoid customers and would rather talk between themselves - often inappropriately infront of customers!

Pros

Cons

Shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at World Duty Free Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare World Duty Free Group with

• World Duty Free Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?