WorldStrides

WorldStrides Management reviews

Clear

Relaxed Environment

Good part time/full time job for someone who need extra cash. Their management are very respectful and polite and you get to meet different kids from around the country visiting the DC area.

Great people, fast paced

Recommend for those who have previous sales experience in a fast paced environment, or who’re willing to learn. Management is there to assist you and will do so happily.

Clear mission statement but lacking in managemrnt

Sense of purpose is super clear, but upper management was disorganized. Nice coworkers & decent culture. Opportunities for advancement were given if you proved yourself.

Laid back remote work available

Flexibility is awesome so long as you complete your work you’re good. Higher ups offer plenty of support as well as your immediate team members, ability to be able to reach out to superiors and upper management at the top of your fingers.

Great workplace

Good workplace. Easy going. Lots of little benefits, but they don't really make up for the weak big benefits. I worked there a long time ago though. I heard they might even be closed right now (2021). Be ready for that nepotism though, especially at the executive level.

Pros

So much free Pepsi products. My dentist loves the money it makes her.

Cons

Long-haulers complain that pay doesn't go up enough

Good people

I’m very happy working here, but travel is a fickle industry and WorldStrides has been hit hard by the pandemic. The Account management team is great, stay away from Sales.

Incompetent Management

Decisions based on incompetent management. Not supportive of ideas across the board. Our way or the highway approach. I do not recommend working for this employer. I am not sure if they are still in business as they had to file for bankruptcy.

It was okay while it lasted.

I had a decent run with Worldstrides. The day to day part of the job was fairly easy and I wasn't micro managed by my superiors. For the most part, I got to contribute to doing some good in the world while getting compensated.The pandemic sped up some of the obvious things that were going to happen long term (downsizing, change of roles, outsourcing to Mexico), but it really is unfortunate they don't have many competent people in management to keep the product running long term. Getting properly paid at the company takes some work. Like everywhere, paying your dues and showing your value will come in handy, but only if you ever find another job and put in your two weeks notice. I had to do that a few times, but they were always fair with me with counter offers that kept me there longer than I probably should have stayed.I do not think they do a very good job of promoting within. The title you start with will be how they always view you. I kind of assumed the generous counter offers I received were for future promotions (and was implied to think that), but I got looked over for an obvious promotion and that kind of made it clear where I really stood within the company. They like to hire people with titles and degrees that sound prestigious, but they always got the very worst person who qualified with those things due to poor salary offers. Most people with the skills they were searching for wouldn't accept their offers and if they did they would only stay short term until they found something better. The culture changed a lot over my tenure there. It went from -

Pros

Travel, lots of time off, not micromanaged

Cons

Culture, lack of promotion from within, poor hiring for middle management

A wonderful product to sell; management could be more open

WorldStrides arranges and sells wonderful experiences for students of all ages. Seeing students’ reactions firsthand on a WorldStrides trip is truly something special.Coordinating and selling those experiences can be tough. Sales positions can have a high turnover rate based on performance. Operations is much more stable although it could pay better.Finally management is a mixed bag. My direct supervisor was open and honest for the most part but didn’t always have the answers because upper management didn’t communicate very well. The new executives in the last couple of years were much better but still have a ways to go.Unfortunately the business may not make it through the pandemic. For the sake of students getting to go on wonderful experiences, I truly hope they do.

Pros

Work / life balance; traveling a few times a year; insurance and benefits.

Cons

Management and communication

Learn a little more about diversity and inclusion

Job was a well paid position to be a complete at home job.However, the majority of their sales team are women. Who are dynamite at what they do. But the executives are not willing to listen to these women about how to improve services and grow. There are no women in high executive positions. And the executives are not flexible with changing with the times and blatantly disregard any suggestion given. Their motto is "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" Guess what...it is broke! And had you listen to some of your top performers about changes you may have not had to file bankruptcy due to COVID19. Set your egos aside and listen as you try to make a comeback in the next couple of years!

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

bad training and no women executives NEED DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION TRAINING for EXECUTIVES

Excelente actitud hacia el colaborador

Siempre están pendientes de tí tanto en lo laboral como lo personal. Te dan todas las herramientas y el entrenamiento pagado para tu óptimo desempeño. Oportunidades de crecimiento lateral y ascendente. Excelentes premios y beneficios.

It's unrewarding work

The people are great. The vibe is good. The management is horrible. This job will consume your life. You work a 8 hour day then go home to work more. You reach a goal and then they raise it. It's never enough. The praise is low and expectations are super high. You are cold calling teachers at work for the most part so it's horrid work in general.

No moral value, but makes money

This is really just a travel agency scamming people, pretending to offer these "elite music festivals" but it's just to overcharge these hard-working middle-americans into fundraising all year to afford the insanely inflated hotel/airfare/bussing/meals sold into these packages. No moral value at all.

Pros

summer hours are good during the off-season, producing at Carnegie Hall is amazing, international travel every other year

Cons

No room for advancement, no promotions, benefits are bad, management needs reworking desperately

good company

The environment was great everyone is very helpful. Bonuses are very helpful, pay is great. Management is willing to go out the way to help. The cafeteria food is delicious and the break area is beautiful.

Great idea for a company, but nepotism, nepotism, nepotism

WorldStrides is a good idea for a business with a good purpose. Unfortunately, the management team in El Dorado Hills is awful. There is extreme nepotism within the managers and employees. One of the managers is the mother to one of the other managers. And the daughter manager is 29 years old and only had the job for 3 years, made a manager from the start with NO previous employment history. She makes it her sole purpose to make everyone’s lives miserable and only hires her friends for her department. Hard workers and good employees are constantly driven away. They justify that they are a good employer by having everyone take surveys about the company, but force the employees to put top numbers on the surveys. The only good thing about this company is the PTO, free sodas all day long, and parties with alcohol about once every other month. There is no trust between employees and management. If you don’t like to be micromanaged and constantly bullied and watched, don’t work here.

Pros

Free sodas everyday, breakfast every Friday and free food about once a month

Cons

Nepotism with the managers, micro management, lack of maturity throughout management

Fun workplace

I worked for this company for 14 years- that was 10 years ago. I worked in the Orlando office location as an account manager overseeing trips coming for science focus.The company sells and organizes extended day field trips for teachers and their students. I came to the jpb with a good bit of experience so I feel the training I received was adequate. We had an amazing team of managers and some of the best general managers you could ask for. The Orlando office was a fun, exciting culture. The main offices are located in Charlottesville, VA so we were pretty removed from any home office shenannigans. After a period of acquisitions of other smaller student travel companies, the home office management was a nightmare. The Orlando office managed to move through the changes, but we all noticed the micromanagement that was happening. The company was trying to grow too quick, which isn't a bad thing until you start making changes that affect the very people who brought this company along. I and about 4 others were laid off, with the explanation that all trip logistics would be handled from VA, not the local FL office- only to learn that really the office wasn't closing, they just moved some of the job duties. The marketing guy I trained who had expressed interest in being an account manager, ended up taking over all my accounts, while working from home in TN. The sales and marketing upper management of this company were feckless. All upper management became focused on nothing but being THE only student travel company out there and they didn't care who got in the way. At the time I worked -

Pros

great product and mission

Cons

management is a nightmare

Chaotic IT

IT department lacks discipline and professionalism. Never had any structure until now (Agile), so there is resistance to changing from the old chaotic way of software development. Company is making the tired, old mistake of outsourcing major projects. They appear to have good intentions but management is not providing leadership.

Pros

Employee outings, lunches, EOY bonus

Cons

No career growth or professional development, low pay

Horrible management

Not worried about the kids - just the bottom line. Some wonderful people that are taken advantage of.....not really a company for experienced educators or professionals.

N/a

The management could be a lot better. The pay is decent, but no benefits because of the temp status. The work can be heavy at times which makes you realize that the pay could be better.

Trabajo que te prpara muy bien de cara al público

El trabajo era relativamente sencillo; transportar a grupos de máximo 40 personas, habiendo contactado previamente con un conductor y haciendo el check-in de todo el mundo en el hotel. Pero de vez en cuando surgía algún problema (alguien se pierde, problemas en el check-in, gente wue pierde su pasaporte...) que hay que saber resolver en el momento y con tus propios medios.

Great for competitive people who have a hard shell

You will get a territory of about 200 schools and have to make at least 325 calls per week. 2-4 times per year, you will be required to make 500 calls. I sometimes feel like being remote makes it so that you are an after thought as people at headquarters get more perks. My manager is great with trying to keep us motivated by giving his own incentives and perks.

Pros

Work from home, no micromanagement, discounts for travel

Cons

Not a lot of guidance, low pay unless you're top level, technology not that great, cold calling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WorldStrides. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement