Yell
Happiness score is 31 out of 100

Yell Employee Reviews

United Kingdom127 reviews

Great company with great people

Featured review

Yell selected this as a representative review
Yell is a fast paced environment that is working hard to keep on top of the evolving online market place. The people are what make Yell as they show passion and commitment for what they do.

Stressful, difficult place to work

Unreasonable deadlines, high pressure and stressful environment. Job turnarounds felt really unreasonable at times and it seems that people are afraid to speak up about how awful the company culture is. Now I'm working full-time elsewhere at a company that cares I've realised how much I truly hated working here. Really would not recommend working here to anyone.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, micro managing

Insights into Yell

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues

Worst employers in the world

Awful place to world stick in 1990,s batter people in to buying there low end products and then tie the client to lengthy contracts keep away if you value your sanity

Listen to your gut and don't accept the offer.

Awful experience.There are some genuinely nice and under appreciated people that work here but as a company I've never worked in a worse place.The amount of work you're expected to do in a small amount of time is unreasonable, you're rushed through training and the management are blinkered to any issues.Promises will be made (but not kept), you'll work later than you think and you'll be hounded so much you'll be scared to go to the toilet! Lunch is timed. Breaks are timed. No leeway or margin for error. You have to take calls even if you're in the middle of a deadline.I really could go on. Trust me - don't bother.

Avoid. Extreme pressure - when I was there around 25% of sales staff were on anti-depressants, poor management and a culture of mis-selling. Company believed customers were not important, that there were other customers that would replace existing ones.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, management bullying

Stressful environment

A typical day is being pressurised by your team manager to the same numbers over and over again to the point where it becomes harassment. These numbers are either dead lines or do not answer. Then you get bullied by your manager for not selling. Unachievable targets. And a tendency to give the same people the hottest leads every day making it unfair. A horrible environment to work in. Staff turn over is at its highest and the company simply cannot get enough staff as all the experienced staff have decided to go else where for employment. No longer a top company to work for.

Cons

Used to be a great place to work

The culture at Yell has changed dramatically over the past 9 months and really wasn’t the place I could see me progressing.The management were so far away from reality.Giving the top sales people the coldest types of leads and expecting higher AVO’s is unsustainable

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours, culture, environment

Not Good, Avoid.

Just terrible. Unlimited pressure, poor training. Unrealistic targets. False promotions (raise in targets, no increase in wage). Lack of support for mental health issues.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Everything you could think of.

Horrible business

Pressure sales, bully’s for managers and a genuinely dishonest company, only person I could say a good word about is the trainers. If you are thinking of applying for yell don’t, also search for yellactiongroup on google

Avoid

The work culture here is rubbish. There is alot of favouritism if you are liked and your face fits you will be given all the benefits and awards. Others who work hard are constantly bi-passed.There is alot of gossip in this company, eveyone wants to know your business. Management behave unprofessional especially at events where I have seen all manner of things including a manager exposing herself. The work itself can be fine depending on your department. However things are constantly changing with department disappearing. There is alot of stress with people off with mental health issues .Overall avoid, the company is loosing alot of its customer respect. If they don't change they won't have long left.

Pros

Cons

Stress, favouritism, unprofessionalism

High pressured and no respect for work/life balance

This is a really stressful, demanding company. The usual time in a sales role is 2 years as so many people simply burn out after that.The hours are long, but the pay, company car, private health care benefits go a little way towards compensating for the role.Think really carefully about if you are happy to walk away from your normal life and step into a world where you are expected to have your blood run YELLow !!Be prepared to travel and expect 12 hour days to be the norm.The people you work with in the main are lovely as they close ranks and protect each other from higher management.. if you are lucky you will get a good manager who will shield you from the flack.This is a fast moving company so be prepared to be adaptableI have to say, overall I really enjoyed my year's with Yell, but it was tough.

Pros

Salary, company car, health care

Cons

Long, long hours.

Really Great Place to Work

The interviews - both telephone and face to face, were really relaxed and were both open to being asked questions about the company and work place. You get full training which is really through. Once you're 'live' you continue to get all the support you need, every single step of the way. Although its really busy, everyone, both on your team or not, are so friendly and helpful. Really is a fantastic place to work and one of the best places I've worked.

Pros

Very supportive

Cons

none that i can think of tbh

A tough job but the rewards are there

A job of variety with ongoing training and engagement. Historic customer service issues and competition make it a challenging role. Constantly changing market and internal structure can make it hard to keep on top of all business requirements.

Pros

Independence and bonus potential

Cons

High targets and relentless requirements

Used to be a great company

If you worked at Yell in the late 90s or early 2000s you would have had a ball. It was a brilliant company. But the loss of Yellow Pages as a core product and poor order fulfilment and customer service in the competitive world of digital marketing makes it a nightmare now. All sales jobs are challenging but with this one you get the added pressure of a new round of redundancies being announced every year.

Great company

Great career in a fast paced sales environment. Focus on customer service e and solution selling. Recognition & rewards worth the hard work required to be successful

Pros

Great digital solutions

Cons

Work life balance

Company which lacks morals & integrity

- Micromanagement culture by managers who have been there for a long time (Yellow Pages days) however have no clue about digital marketing. - Management don’t care that half of a team was off on long term stress due to 1 particular manager. - the products no longer work due to being outsourced and everyone in sales taking a healthy slice - the customer comes last, you’re told to sell at all costs, actively told you NEED to get a sale otherwise your job could be on the line. Meaning selling packages to customers for the sale of it.

Great company to work for

Yell are a great company to be part of. You get a fair salary for the role and the commission earnings are uncapped so if you are prepared to work hard - you can earn really good money.

Great Company

I have worked in the business for 10 years now. Love every minute of it. The people who work in Yell are all very driven and motivated. It can be challenging however the rewards and bonus scheme they offer is amazing and can change your life.

Easy on-boarding process - very helpful

The interview was long but in hine hindsight it worked well for the job I was going for so it made sense. The people are great and the company is very understand and helpful.

Genuinely More Than A Job

I have worked for Yell for nearly 9 years now. During that time I have been a successful Account Manager, Digital Account Director and now a Sales Manager. I have genuinely love my job and whilst it’s not always easy, it’s immensely satisfying to work with such an amazing group of individuals who are all as passionate about delivering excellence.

Great to be back!

I returned to Yell in June 2019 after being made redundant in 2014. The recuritment and training are second to none and there's always someone happy to help. I found the whole worklife balance tough initally, as this is my first field based role, however using the structure I was given and trying to sick to that has made that part a bit easier. My manager & colleagues are always there to help if I need it. Yell are great at rewarding their employees and I have always found them a fair and decent employer to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yell. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement