YMCA DownsLink Group

YMCA DownsLink Group Employee Reviews

The young people are nice but the management will criticise you from a distance or by an aggressive email. They micro manage you.The manager is not a leader by nature so her skills leave a lot to be desired. I would sit in shock reading her emails. Crawley is toxic but I’ve heard other services like Worthing are good. The contract is fair and the salary is good.
Pros
Salary and contract
Cons
Had a bad experience working for YMCA. I feel I was not supported. I feel this was the worst job experience I have had. It feels like it is run as a big business rather than charity.
Official response from YMCA DownsLink Group
25 May 2021
We are very sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience while working with us, specifically that you did not feel supported as this is something that we take very seriously. We do pride ourselves on prioritising wellbeing within our staff members as we know that your role can sometimes be challenging. While we are a large charity as we are a combination of many different YMCAs, we do hope that we can manage the work we do with the same care as a smaller organisation. We are always striving to maintain our community centres approach and support our staff.Staff meetings and staff feedback are now a big part of what we do, and we now have reward and recognition programs in place. We hope that this will enable us to continue to make improvements across the organisation.We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you so that we can find out your thoughts on how we could improve as an organisation. If you are comfortable, please send an email through to HR@ymcadlg.org .
Good job within reboot. It’s a good project and I have enjoyed the job. It’s very beneficial to young people I would love to do this kind of role in the future and great film for the opportunity
A very relaxed place to work. There is plenty of training available and progression if you want to go for it. Everyone is very helpful and people have worked there for years which is always a good sign. The work can be challenging at times so this job isn't for everyone but it's also very rewarding. This is a very well respected company and you will be treated well and professionally.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Challenging behavior that will test you
YMCA is a charity that helps young people to move on on their own life's .Working with his organisation you feel neglected and not looked after .The management is not approachable and the co workers not so friendly .The whole organisation is institutional and reminds you like you are working in the 50s .The HR are not responsive and too many ties you have to request to many times from the payroll to pay you .
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Not enough hours, calling the same day of the staff shortage, timesheets payment a month later
Extremely varied from one minute to the next as we are dealing with some young people who have experienced troubled times and need assistance with the day to day management of their lives, finances and progression.
Pros
Discounted lunches, free parking provided
This workplace is different from day to day due to the varied activities that are run here. I learned how to be versatile and learned to adapt to any situation that was given to me. I had learned how to run sessions and how to plan for these. The management has a relaxed style and allows the staff to use their creativity and ideas whilst offering support and mentoring when needed. The co-workers are very friendly and welcoming, they will help in any situation. The hardest part of the job was working with some challenging behaved children. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children and creating activities for the children to do.