YMCA

YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 1,104 reviews matching the search
Never a dull moment working for a charity,there's so much to do every day.I think top management expect far too much ,it can be back breaking work,if you are in a shop that sells furniture.Then you have donations coming in which have to be carried upstairs,doesn't sound hard but if there is 20 or more heavy bin bags it takes its toll after 10 plus years.Then there's the constant stream of emails asking you to do fundraising this could be coffee mornings,tombolas,going round retail shop's asking for donations, it helps if you are creative most of this fundraising has to be done while trying to run your shop, the volunteers are the best part of the job,they are the backbone of charity shops,and don't get the recognition they deserve.
Pros
Great staff, interesting work
Cons
Work alone quite often, therefore no lunch breaks, very difficult to take toilet break.moving heavy furniture, carrying lots of bin bags upstairs
Great staff let down by terrible managment.They would rather dismiss you or watch you leave than face the fact that they have no management skills.You will end up covering all the roles that have been left empty because staff have left or have been sacked.
Pros
Staff work hard to provide a good service.
Cons
Expect to be a dogs body.
Absolutely appauling place to work the Birmingham and coventry YMCA staff non exsistant because the pay terrible money so one person is expected to do 3 jobs senior management could not careless lies about ppe and employing more staff also found out senior management were on massive money compered to other staff supposed to be a Christian organisation that's an absolute joke don't go there you will be very disappointed hypocrites as higher management Christian organisation it's all about lies and money.
Pros
Cons
No help no money no hopers
Love working there very friendly and happy environment best management ever very approachable feel very relaxed and happy management always there for you even out of work brilliant!
Pros
Friendly and chilled and flexible
Cons
I have been on a temporary contract at the YMCA which I was led to believe would be officially advertised - it was not. My emails to senior management were mostly ignored and they did not appear to have the opinions of the young residents there as enough of a priority.
Pros
Amazing Young People
Cons
Tightly knit team difficult for newcomers
As a previous employee I can fully recommend any position to everyone who want to work with a nice people and friendly atmosphere. It was a pleasure to work for YMCA charity community
I wouldn't recommend this company. No lunch breaks most days as you're the only one in the shop a lot of the time.They run everything with a skeleton crew and expect the world. Poorly run charity that's put me off ever working in charity retail again.
I have on two occasions worked and volunteered at the YMCA both in the Dartford area. On both occasions I have regretted it. No organisation and very poor management. They don't seem to have a clue.
Pros
As a volunteer work your own hours
Cons
Working a zero hour role, if you turn down a request for you to work, they take it personally and contact you with work offers as a last resort
If you feel as though you are being unfairly treated at this place do NOT go to management. Your hours will be reduced to 0 in weeks and you will be treated even worse. Rules are not followed and safeguarding issues are not raised properly.
Day to day job was fine, some online training provided but mostly just learn on the job. Staff you work with daily are great but avoid any dealings with HR. Lazy induction where just put in room for at least 2 hours to sit and read heavily-worded and lengthy policies. Poor professional practices and you don't even get paid minimum wage unless you are there for a year. No PPE provided for staff even though you work in a setting with known cases of Coronavirus. No compassion for staff affected by government Coronavirus conditions. If you are crazy enough to consider working there, ensure you join a good employment union first. Do not do anything out of kindness for them as they will abuse this and screw you over.
Pros
Some uniform provided
Cons
Poor pay
Loved my time working with the YMCA Glenrothes. Fantastic friendly supportive staff. Good pension schemes. Lots of exciting projects and opportunities to improve people's lives. Great team building events to improve staff morale and team working. Fantastic management and training and development opportunities.
I have been worked as a volunteer in UK. it was very wonderful learning for me.It was great learning for me to seek job in country like UK, London. I could learn many things about customer services, financial and store management.
Pros
free tea and snacks
Cons
na
My time working as a Volunteer at the YMCA in Redditch was a great experience. It not only gave me a confidence boost but it also helped me to learn new skills, which in some ways, helped me to decide on my future and finding work.I could choose my own hours usually doing 9am - 3.00pm. This gave me an opportunity to get a good days work in, doing jobs from start to finish. I worked for the Maintenance department and mainly did painting and preparing rooms ready for new residents to move in.
Pros
Everyone is friendly and treat you with respect.
Such a pleasure to work here ALL staff are friendly 😀 and fun to work with,Frequent breaks, freedom of leaving early such as an emergency, No problem of swapping shift and days
Pros
Free tea/coffee
Cons
Volunteer job
Always friendly and helpful always strive to help u progress. Meet new people and see how well the business grows and helps the community. Happy to listen to there staff and the head of the department always had a open door rule in place. Enjoyed help set up the new till and registration that was being put in place and would like to work within this field again really enjoyed going to work............................. even working on a Saturday was a fun day with the different classes that was put on and being envolved in rasing money to help
Pros
Chance of stepping up the ladder
Cons
Can be stress at times
After living at the YMCA many years ago I went back to work there as I felt I could give something back. I mostly enjoyed my time there but 1 or 2 members of staff where very clique and due to me not being an active Christian I was pushed out somewhat. Then another member of staff was bullying myself and 2 others and I reported her.. nothing was done about it and so she carried on eventually leading to me being accused of drug dealing and having reactions with a client.. Later turned out that she was doing those things and actually got sacked.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Long hours. Night staff are treat second rate
- Poor management - feeling under appreciated - brown nosed colleagues- didn’t agree with some decisions when dealing with the young people like kicking them out when they needed help ..
Pros
Fun with the residents
Cons
Not feeling supported
Great place to work. Challenging at times when you do Safeguarding out of hours. Very process driven and requires empathetic and engaging personality.
Pros
Working on own initiative.
Cons
Working unsociable hours.
The management are awful don’t care about their staff at all. Can’t run a centre, attitude is awful. General manager was far to reliant on duty managers to do pretty much everything in the centre. Get pulled on the smallest of things possibleHigher management don’t care if you have a problem they aren’t for helping at all may as well speak to a brick wall.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Awful management
The managers don’t know how to run a centre, they don’t look after staff. They are to reliant on duty managers to do everything in the centre. Get pulled on the slightest things possible. No help from higher management they are just short of off with you when you need help.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Awful management
A corrupt and operating a hostile and bullying environment.It is all about money!!! They don't care for the people they are supposed to be helping.They don't perform proper checks on staff and managers have absolutely no idea what they are doing. YMCA have an extremely high staff turnover
  1. Employee reviews