YO! Sushi

YO! Sushi Employee Reviews

I worked 1 year in Yo sushi, as FOH and BOH, the wage is minimal , but you can get many hours , paid training, no bonuses , very busy place with rude customers , low tips, the management cares only about the profit.
Pros
Free lunch, paid breaks
Cons
Long hours, poor management, low wage
I had a good experience in this job and everyone was helping me and my manager taught good and now I’m happy.when I first started my manager was friendly and everyone was kind and I had so much experience.i became experienced that’s because I worked for 19 years.
Pros
Tips and travelling easy
Cons
Bullying
Truly disgusting, now at coronavirus pandemic, they are giving less than the contracted hours, threatned us if we leave, and even though they are taking government support, its not being used to pay their staff. FOH doesnt even have hours, only BOH with some takeaways. Meanwhile, big CEO has a 2 million island... Only using people to comply with their needs, and when times are tough, replace with whoever accepts their low-wages
Pros
Free staff food and paid breaks. Teammates pretty nice people as well
Cons
Minimum wage, no tips
Was given shifts by a new manager that were specifically not what I could work as stressed when I was accepted for the job. As a result this new manager only gave me shifts on the days and times I could not work, swore at me on shift and threatened my job security in the most passive aggressive way until I felt I had to leave and find another job to get some peace. Next to no training from management, you have to pick up from other members of staff on shift.
Pros
The actual job can be fun if you enjoy sushi
Cons
Aforementioned terrible attitude and behaviour from management
There are slow days but mostly manic. I find it hard when I’m working alone. Doing it all alone and you’re expected to fill the front fridge is challenging for me.
Cons
The management are blind for my hardwork.
Coworkers help you settle in and they are also understanding; teamwork is valued so they look out for others too. It keeps you on your feet too, which is good. The pay wasn't bad, but it would be nice to have been a bit more. The real only negative aspect are out of pocket customers, but every customer service job has those.
Pros
Free lunch, breaks, area has different food and is accessible by train, isn't too busy, isn't too empty, nice coworkers
Cons
Pay could be just a bit more
Used to be a good company. No rewards or benefits now, cutting staff and managers. Interview process based on who the manager likes and not on past reputation and customer feedback No time to prepare for interviews
Pros
Nice food
Cons
No progression
Worked here for 2 years, which I could say it was a good 2 years. Company only cares for its money and during difficult times decides to make huge redundancies (told us 4, ended up being 6+) when promised our shop would open!I strongly recommend you work somewhere else! The hospitality industry is a challenge however I’ve worked in this industry for over 5 years now.... and found this by far the most stressful/confidence knocking hospitality job out there. Managers from higher up you would NEVER see (in 2 years we saw the regional manager less than 15 times) and during COVID.... was ignored and left in the dark.
Pros
Free lunch, 50% off, YO 360 app for phone
Cons
Varied hours per week, no contact with higher management, no space for inter promotions for waiters
Yo Sushi is a terrible place to work. The company doesn’t care about employees at all. All the care about is money, they do not respect any employees right, the never replies to an email, if you have a problem they do no care and definitely you won’t receive an answer, lots of stress, no times for breaks and I can continue...
The management are useless!! .. Some favour there own nationality more than others. Don't work here unless you can work with people who are imcompant!
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Rubbish management.
Working at Yo sushi was great. Everybody was so friendly, I don't want to sound cheesy but it felt like a family away from home. Even the toughest days were fairly easy. As a front of house (waiter) you are tasked with taking orders for the customers, supplying drinks and conveying the food from the kitchen to the tables; easy peasy I tell you. Occasionally I had to help in the kitchen but this was not compulsory. Definitely the best 2 years of work life I've had so far. Plenty of opportunity and always fun. Considering the cultural standing of it being Japanese street cuisine the customers are always pleasant and very friendly too, some of whom I got to know well and become friends with. Beyond all that the company is very supportive with training and advancement opportunities. The hours are very flexible, I personally was able to choose how many hours I wanted to do and which days I could do. Of course this might not be available for everybody but they will at least try to accommodate. On top of all that you could have 5 items off the menu each day so I never paid for lunch in the 2 years I worked there. I ate like a king.
Pros
Free Lunches, Great hours, Friendly employees, Friendly management
Cons
Split shifts but this could be a benefit as it was for me
Lovely company to work for. Work/life balance has been great. Haven't got bad experience with management on both team and higher level. The culture is great. Of course it may depend on the particular location but most of the people I've worked with have been great.
Job is easy to pick up, good work/life balance since most people are on 0 hour contract. Free meals. Unpaid 1 hour break. Good online teaching module to prepare you. Hardest part of the job is dealing with nasty customers. Culture can be a bit toxic but that's like any job. Very lovely upper management.
Managerial experience is shocking. Big tip, don’t get ill because they will fire you. Some staff were unpleasant to work with as they had an attitude.
very busy on a typical day, usually understaffed, I learned a lot of what I know today about the job and about the industry, hardest part of the job very long shifts with only a 30 mins break
Manager was amazing and there's always something to do, never boring and learned some great skills as well as worked with some great people. the hardest part of the job would be working in a small space when there are more than 3 people on at a time, or it would be keeping up when it is busy and you are on shift alone. Nevertheless a great working environment and an amazing team to work with.
It was great to work in this company, we had a weekly salary and free food for lunch and dinner during the shift, it was surely hard at times, but with the right team everything it is possible.
Hardworking staff all lost their jobs as company treats you like piece of s***, no consideration how people will pay their bills these difficult times, when they bust they make you work doubles, when you not needed you can go home with your p45
great place to work at, always something to do. Typical day at work consisted of cleaning, serving customers and cash handling. Hardest part of the job was the rush hour lunches especially when short staffed.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Sometimes long closes
Never work for this company if you love getting messed around and don't want job security. They change contracts, not pay you right and no one to go higher to. PLEASE AVOID.
This company does not care about its staff, the environment is chaotic and completely falls to pieces when things aren't running perfectly. Staff are worked to exhaustion because the company are too cheap to staff the restaurants appropriately. Management inside the job are inefficient and unprofessional, people feel like they're constantly walking on egg shells Mental health isn't recognised as an actual illness, physical wellbeing is not a priority and you will be made to feel guilty for being genuinely sick and unable to work. Labour is exploited and for little to no thanks. Team leading felt more like a nightmare-like babysitting job. I have never worked in a place with such low morale, hospitality is run by people and this job seems to have sucked the humanity out of it. The company has an extremely high turnover of staff and you have to question why that is before considering working there.
  1. Employee reviews