YO! Sushi

YO! Sushi Employee Reviews

Overall good

Good and nice environment but have a lot of trouble with pay, management are very reluctant to add any extra hours that you work. Also remove hours you have worked without notice and then you have to fight to get the money. Very poor that the management change the hours after you have worked them. Apart from that, nice staff and nice customers and a good atmosphere

Don't work here

Unsociable, long hours, understaffed and under-trained. Never in a work place have I seen a manager leave before the K.P. You’re not cooking you’re refrying and reheating. Look for something other than Yo! Sushi as there is no substance to work here, no pride is taken.

Little work life balance

Under new management and they are very clueless. Constantly on laptops ignoring staff that need help. You will have literally one staff member on the floor to accommodate customers, drinks and the front door seating/bookings. Also 2, maybe 3 if lucky working in the kitchen. Customers often complain about the lack of service or time waiting (maybe if we could get some help). The company have gotten extremely greedy and only care about profit and cutting labor, hence working alone often. Even senior staff who have worked for a long time often get ignored or told they are wrong when it comes to simple things like colouring of chopping boards and knives. The restaurant has become an absolute mess resulting in losing one star on the hygiene rating. Brexit has made it extremely difficult to get any of our stock so often upset customers because their favourites aren't available. Also managers are totally fine with skipping ingredients in certain dishes because they would rather sell it than not make the money even though it's not correct. The standards have dropped severely causing staff who loved working here to leave. This was once my dream job and now I can't sleep at night being full of dread for what the next shift holds.

Pros

Free lunch, Usually really nice staff

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance, late nights, minimum wage, high stress, no stock, brexit, no staff, no progression, new management

The job itself is okay, but the hours are ridiculous

Coworkers were lovely, and some of the benefits are nice. The work is pretty easy. Worked in the kitchen and FOH.However staffing is a constant revolving door, always understaffed, and it's not hard to see why. Rota is given very last minute, sometimes not confirmed until it's already in effect. A lot of very questionable stuff going on here, way too many amount of hours per week without prior agreement for example, sometimes less than 11 hours respite between some shifts too. Shifts are almost always long (9-12 hours usually). Not worth the money/ benefits for the trouble, they'll work you into the ground if you let them.

Pros

Paid breaks, Free food, Tips, Staff discount, Living wage for under 23'

Cons

Long hours, Rota given last minute, Too many hours, Just feels like pure exploitation

Busy and unique experience as a server

They don’t do interviews instead opt for (unpaid) 2 hour trial shift which is horrible in my sense. There were no professional questions (no manager on duty for severs) a staff server asked me to work alongside the staff servers. So I tried my best and did so much non stop work alongside 2 only servers and hoped to get at least a little response back from manager but got no response back. I love the brand but this was just an awful experience. What I learned is that they had 15 more people coming for the trial shifts in the span of next few days. So basically get trail workers( who won’t get job) so you don’t have to pay for real workers….. ridiculous

Pros

Food served via the food train

Cons

To many tasks

One of the best place i have worked /

The people and everything thungbthere was amazing at work the staffs wore very helpfull to teach and guide me to show how things are done and prepared never a dull day at YO!sushi .....

Not your average coorperate

Although I had not been a General Manager prior to this job, they took on board all my previous management and hospitality experience and gave me a shot. The role I took on was also more kitchen based which I had little experience in either. They trained me well and left me fully capable of opening up a brand new site for the first time. Gave me great direction with the job role I have and I can honestly say the amount I learnt in such a short space of time was ridiculously rewarding. I am very happy in this company, they look after their own but they are not afraid to give people an opportunity to grow from outside the company walls and also with minimal experience they can train you up to be quite a statement in this industry. Having always worked for independent companies, joining YO! was a risk for me but one that thoroughly paid off. Great company top work for and definitely one that wants to see all their staff do well. Great values.

Pros

Work life balance, training and progression

Cons

N/a

Understaffed and losing more.

Its no wonder staff are leaving the company when HO is perfectly fine with next to no break between shifts, and when brought up with management they just take shifts off.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

No breaks between shifts

Not the best place

I worked 1 year in Yo sushi, as FOH and BOH, the wage is minimal , but you can get many hours , paid training, no bonuses , very busy place with rude customers , low tips, the management cares only about the profit.

Pros

Free lunch, paid breaks

Cons

Long hours, poor management, low wage

It's was good teems to work

It's was lovely place and all the staffing was great understanding n helpful staffs over holes my work was hot 🔥 foods section i really enjoyed with my job was great if I got appoortunity to come to help in future please you can call me I'm ready to help yoo 🍥 thanks a lot. 🙏

Productive and fun workplace

I had a good experience in this job and everyone was helping me and my manager taught good and now I’m happy.when I first started my manager was friendly and everyone was kind and I had so much experience.i became experienced that’s because I worked for 19 years.

Pros

Tips and travelling easy

Cons

Bullying

Just tools

Truly disgusting, now at coronavirus pandemic, they are giving less than the contracted hours, threatned us if we leave, and even though they are taking government support, its not being used to pay their staff. FOH doesnt even have hours, only BOH with some takeaways. Meanwhile, big CEO has a 2 million island... Only using people to comply with their needs, and when times are tough, replace with whoever accepts their low-wages

Pros

Free staff food and paid breaks. Teammates pretty nice people as well

Cons

Minimum wage, no tips

Bullying in management

Was given shifts by a new manager that were specifically not what I could work as stressed when I was accepted for the job. As a result this new manager only gave me shifts on the days and times I could not work, swore at me on shift and threatened my job security in the most passive aggressive way until I felt I had to leave and find another job to get some peace. Next to no training from management, you have to pick up from other members of staff on shift.

Pros

The actual job can be fun if you enjoy sushi

Cons

Aforementioned terrible attitude and behaviour from management

Stressful. But I’m naturally a happy person so I can cope.

There are slow days but mostly manic. I find it hard when I’m working alone. Doing it all alone and you’re expected to fill the front fridge is challenging for me.

Cons

The management are blind for my hardwork.

Great manager and team leaders

Coworkers help you settle in and they are also understanding; teamwork is valued so they look out for others too. It keeps you on your feet too, which is good. The pay wasn't bad, but it would be nice to have been a bit more. The real only negative aspect are out of pocket customers, but every customer service job has those.

Pros

Free lunch, breaks, area has different food and is accessible by train, isn't too busy, isn't too empty, nice coworkers

Cons

Pay could be just a bit more

Used to be good

Used to be a good company. No rewards or benefits now, cutting staff and managers. Interview process based on who the manager likes and not on past reputation and customer feedback No time to prepare for interviews

Pros

Nice food

Cons

No progression

Floor staff great, higher up where the issue begins

Worked here for 2 years, which I could say it was a good 2 years. Company only cares for its money and during difficult times decides to make huge redundancies (told us 4, ended up being 6+) when promised our shop would open!I strongly recommend you work somewhere else! The hospitality industry is a challenge however I’ve worked in this industry for over 5 years now.... and found this by far the most stressful/confidence knocking hospitality job out there. Managers from higher up you would NEVER see (in 2 years we saw the regional manager less than 15 times) and during COVID.... was ignored and left in the dark.

Pros

Free lunch, 50% off, YO 360 app for phone

Cons

Varied hours per week, no contact with higher management, no space for inter promotions for waiters

Do not recommend

Yo Sushi is a terrible place to work. The company doesn’t care about employees at all. All the care about is money, they do not respect any employees right, the never replies to an email, if you have a problem they do no care and definitely you won’t receive an answer, lots of stress, no times for breaks and I can continue...

Don't work here

The management are useless!! .. Some favour there own nationality more than others. Don't work here unless you can work with people who are imcompant!

Pros

Good staff

Cons

Rubbish management.

Great fun. Great experience

Working at Yo sushi was great. Everybody was so friendly, I don't want to sound cheesy but it felt like a family away from home. Even the toughest days were fairly easy. As a front of house (waiter) you are tasked with taking orders for the customers, supplying drinks and conveying the food from the kitchen to the tables; easy peasy I tell you. Occasionally I had to help in the kitchen but this was not compulsory. Definitely the best 2 years of work life I've had so far. Plenty of opportunity and always fun. Considering the cultural standing of it being Japanese street cuisine the customers are always pleasant and very friendly too, some of whom I got to know well and become friends with. Beyond all that the company is very supportive with training and advancement opportunities. The hours are very flexible, I personally was able to choose how many hours I wanted to do and which days I could do. Of course this might not be available for everybody but they will at least try to accommodate. On top of all that you could have 5 items off the menu each day so I never paid for lunch in the 2 years I worked there. I ate like a king.

Pros

Free Lunches, Great hours, Friendly employees, Friendly management

Cons

Split shifts but this could be a benefit as it was for me

Great company

Lovely company to work for. Work/life balance has been great. Haven't got bad experience with management on both team and higher level. The culture is great. Of course it may depend on the particular location but most of the people I've worked with have been great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YO! Sushi. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement