York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Decent

Takes a while to adjust and find your place as you tend to get lost in the shuffle sometimes, but once you start to pick things up it’s a generally decent place to work with very good pay and opportunities to learn.

Pros

Pay enhancements

Cons

Not always welcoming

Bullying in Management, corrupt HR

Working for this Trust was the worst experience in my career. I loved the work and working for the NHS but the dept managers were awful and had zero consideration for the wellbeing of staff. Experience with HR managers was just as bad, openly discussing confidential cases and siding with managers because of personal biases. It took me months to repair my self esteem after working in this place. The Trust say they support diversity, but at the core are ableist and ruthless.

Pros

Working for the NHS, most of the front line staff are lovely

Cons

Managers and HR processes

Health care

With a health care you have to know and do vast amounts of jobs Which is really good However when you see domestics getting the same pay for a lot less work It makes me wonder why

Pros

Learning .security

Cons

Bad management, unfair pay

supportive management and good team work

Supportive management, good flexibility and team work. Work in healthcare setting can be stressful and fast paced a lot of the time. But can also be rewarding.

Pros

supportive team work

Cons

Can he long, tiring hour's

Terrible Management Cronyism and Nepotism

Low wages = Low standards. Management make it up as they go along, stressing how we should all follow sops, whilst they break the rules to suit themselves, their whims, their corner cutting, and if staff try to follow correct procedures against their unethical wishes then they actually invent stories to get us into trouble, disciplinaries etc. The rhetoric is nauseating, the trust values are not followed. Supervisors and managers demonstrate blatant favoritism. They cultivate the culture of divided staff to use them against each other. The staff whose faces fit have things how they like it and newbies and those out of the clique are the dogs bodies. There is a deep culture of the abuse of power and of bullying. HR are a great let down, clearly biased in support of management, even when presented with hard evidence, so there is nowhere to go when treated unfairly. I would not recommend the place to anyone.

Helpful to get experience, could be improved

I went into the job with one thing on my mind - getting experience in a practical setting, especially for an application in further education. What I've learnt is that I enjoy what I get to do, but also that there are more minor problems with the running of the hospital than simply workload. Problems that have not impacted the quality of the work done, per say, but that, if corrected, would bring significant improvement to the efficiency of the running of the hospital.

– 16 June 2020
Glad you've learned from your experience with us Pharmacy Technician (Volunteer). It sounds like a useful experience. RE: efficiency, we're learning a lot from how we've worked during the response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Hopefully, you've shared your views with us. Thanks for your contribution during your placement.Will Thornton (Head of Resourcing)

Rewarding - however, managers & HR corrupt

I loved working for the NHS - it is rewarding and enjoyable and reasonably paid. It is unfortunate that I experienced numerous managers that were difficult to work for. HR tend to side with the managers on all occasions. Overall I would return as it is just a few people that spoiled the experience. Parking is an issue - you are unable to apply for a work parking permit in your first few years & surrounding parking is competitive.

Pros

NHS dicsount

Cons

Parking, Hr, Management

– 16 June 2020
Thanks for your feedback, and I'm glad that you found your employment enjoyable. As someone who works in the organisation's HR Team, I struggle with the headline - I wouldn't deny you your opinion but the use of language isn't fair on colleagues whose only agenda is to try and make our Hospitals/services the best places we can for our patients to receive care.That said, it would be good to discuss your experience if you wouldn't mind taking five to ten minutes to talk to us in confidence. My contact details are: will.thornton@york.nhs.uk / 01904 726424.Thank you. Will Thornton (Head of Resourcing)

Fast paced

The environment is fast paced and stressful, but rewarding with excellent team values. There is always support available through HR and training available on anything you are not sure on.

– 16 June 2020
Thanks Graduate Management Trainee - all the best for the future.Will Thornton (Head of Resourcing)

Not recommended

There is a high bullying culture at the Scarborough/Bridlington sites and unfortunately when this is highlighted to management and HR nothing is done unless you are willing to be named in the complaint, this is very difficult when you have to continue working with them. Unless you work on the York site you hear nothing about the proposals of development and are left feeling like the trust don’t value you. On the upside the salary is reviewed regularly and onsite/in-house training is excellent. Would recommend starting by working on the bank and then progressing to full post as you can then evaluate which area you would prefer to working in.

Pros

Training in-house

Cons

Bullying culture

– 16 June 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We'd be really keen to discuss any complaints of bullying. We have specific individuals in the organisation who can help with these issues, and you can talk to them in confidence. I would be happy to talk to you about this - again, in confidence (will.thornton@york.nhs.uk, 01904 726424). We will not tolerate bullying.Thank you also for your other comments, including those about us needing to work more inclusively across our sites - this is something that other colleagues have mentioned through recent staff engagement exercises and we are working to try and address this.

fun workplace

hard work and very stressful i found it very hard to work there the amount of people been rude with my anxiety and i found hard working because family issues

Good working environment

A busy and fast paced environment. Good training provided. The ability to move forward within the trust for example moving departments and promotion. Good teamwork is essential

Pros

Flexible working

– 2 September 2019
Thanks for your review, Health Care Assistant (Former Employee). Wishing you all the best for the future.Will ThorntonHead of Resourcing

Changes to contracts

I’m deeply saddened that the staff are working for lower terms due to now working for a private company within York hospital. All new starters won’t have a NHS pension for example. Myself and the staff within the Estates and facilities department are constantly worried that eventually we won’t have a job due to cuts

Pros

Used to have a good pension

Cons

Always the lowest paid seems to be penalised

– 2 September 2019
Hi Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee),Thanks for your review. We appreciate the creation of the wholly owned subsidiary was a concern for a lot of staff. Hopefully, with the passage of time since October, people can see there isn't a desire to change terms and conditions and that the Board want to protect Estates and Facilities Services at the Trust. I understand your feeling of unease though and am happy to talk to you further. Feel free to give me a call - 01904 726424.Will ThorntonHead of Resourcing

Good

York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - Scarborough Hospital is a nice hospital for working and training. There's a lot of support and team work across various departments.

Very caring staff

I have worked at York hospital all my working life. I have had contact with many different parts of the hospital and I've always found people to be friendly and caring.

Pros

It's York!

Cons

Building needs some TLC in places.

– 21 January 2019
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, Technician (Current Employee).Will ThorntonAssistant Head of Workforce

Awful management and culture

Managers are incompetent and bullying, often using gaslighting tactics when they make mistakes so they can blame you for them. Managers regularly break the rules for their mates when it pleases them (not surprising considering the amount of nepotism and backscratching going on) but will discipline others in a heartbeat. Sickness policies seem to have been devised to ensure you end up worrying yourself sicker.

– 14 January 2019
Hi Records Assistant (Former Employee),Thanks for your feedback - would you be happy to discuss your experience in more detail, please? I'd like to find out more from you if you feel willing to discuss in confidence - email is will.thornton@york.nhs.uk or you can call me on 01904 726424.Will ThorntonAssistant Head of Workforce

A frustrating place to work.

The management have a "mushroom" approach to leadership, keeping staff in the dark about the service development and the overall trust directives. Within the directorate that I work the some of the senior management are hierarchical and controlling, choosing a micro-management style of managing staff. This has led to a recent exodus of staff at all levels and a very unhappy workforce. I find the hardest part of my job to be my senior manager, because of the above. The most enjoyable part of my current job, is working alongside and supporting very passionate and caring staff and colleagues. Happy staff mean happy patients.

Management driven

Unless you get to be a manager you don't exist! Views & opinions of staff which would benefit the trust don't matter, managers dont listen. Managers are good at telling you what to do but don't think about your home/work life balance. As long as you're meeting their targets from their superiors their happy. Made to feel guilty if your off work with genuine illness and told sickness policies can lead to being sacked. Can't wait to leave the threatening/bully cultures from managers. Penalised for wanting to do flexi working (unless your pregnant or returning from maternity) Or if managers arent over their percentage of flexi their workers on the ward.

Pros

Clean hospital

Cons

Dated hospital heating no air con, Expensive canteen food and staff parking limited and you have to pay!!

– 24 October 2018
Hi Nurse (Former Employee),Thanks for your comment - this doesn't sound good at all. Would you be happy to discuss? I'd appreciate hearing more - email is will.thornton@york.nhs.uk or you can call me on 01904 726424. Happy to discuss in confidence.Will ThorntonAssistant Head of Workforce

Discriminate against older workers.

Although I have over 25 years of working as a qualified nurse, they would not consider me for a health care role. I can only put this down to the fact that I am in my 60th year.

– 24 October 2018
Hi Health Care Assistant (Former Employee),Thanks for your comment - it'd be good to look into the detail of this for you. Drop me a line: will.thornton@york.nhs.uk.Will ThorntonAssistant Head of Workforce

Hard working team

Patient wellbeing and experience is a very high requirement on my ward, the type of patient I work with need a lot of support emotionally and so contact is important and understanding is a must, I enjoy my work and try to do my best every shift I do. Managing work load can be difficult some times but that becomes a skill you acquire in time, supporting work colleges is a must as without the team is no longer a team.

Pros

Under staffed

– 2 September 2019
Nice to read your comments, Health Care Assistant (Current Employee), thanks for your review. I'm pleased to report that staffing's getting better - lots of people working very hard at the moment to source more nurses.Will ThorntonHead of Resourcing

Great Place To Work

The teams and staff are lovely to work with, all the equipment is up to date and easy to use. The hospital can improve by employing more staff. And providing flexible working hours.

Cons

Long Hours

Friendly but needs change

Very friendly hospital with some of the most approachable staff I have come across in the NHS. However, in general the hospital is very outdated especially in it's processes and systems which make your job very frustrating at times. My job is constantly using equipment which was obsolete, slow and was unable to be upgraded due to financial constraints. This made me feel like I was not providing the service patients deserve. The attitude of the hospital is to come in and do the job then leave.. change and improvements are not seen as necessary which is very disappointing.

Pros

Canteen, friendly

Cons

Equipment, facilities, attitude

– 24 October 2018
Hi Not listed (Former Employee),Thanks for your comment. Age of equipment is something that came up in Staff Survey last year. I know there have been a number of capital investments since then - interesting to see if that's making people's jobs easier when we get the 2018 Survey results. I'm sure there's more to be done.Hope things are going well for you in whatever you're doing now.Will ThorntonAssistant Head of Workforce

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement

York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Job Title

York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?