Yorkshire Building Society

United Kingdom175 reviews

Really good experience

Featured review

Yorkshire Building Society selected this as a representative review
I have been working for the Society for around a month now. The recruitment process was really good. I was kept up to date with what was happening and was actually able to start work a week earlier than expected as all checks were completed quickly. The branch is great, the manager is really hands on and has taken the time to show me many things and explain how everything works. I have been made to feel very welcome by everyone in the society from my immediate colleagues to the area manager etc. This has enabled me to carry out my job role confidently despite being still quite new. Great so far!

Pros

Welcoming, professional and kind colleagues

18 September 2020
Welcome to the Team! Thank you for your positive review of your experience joining the branch team in London and we wish you all the best in your career at YBS.

Customer solutions consultant

I was interviewed by the hiring manager who was fantastic, engaging, genuinely interested in my interview answers, the company is laid back and they treat you as adults. They have a great canteen, a gym that is sadly closed due to covid and lovely garden surroundings. My bug bears are the terribly slow and unreliable IT systems, over complex product libraries and inadequate training. They encourage and say they are all about developing staff and retaining them, but it’s difficult to see any evidence of this personally. Support after training is minimal and due to covid restrictions you need to request for help over Microsoft teams. It’s difficult when you are monitored on your work but you fail as you haven’t been trained fully. It’s difficult to grasp the role with clunky resources, slow intranet etc

Pros

Great canteen, nice surroundings, free car parking. 35 hour working week.

Cons

Poor Resources, terrible computer systems, inadequate training programs.

One of the best organisations I have worked at.

I worked for them for just under 7 years. Took redundancy as branch closed and unable to work elsewhere due to my poor mobility . I had a lot of time off for joint replacements but was thoroughly supported through all this. Almost all of my managers I had were great. I would work for them again if they had something I could do. Excellent company to work for.

Pros

Nice people throughout.

Cons

Saturday working when I was there, but covid has changed things I believe.

Secure and very repetitive job

I only worked temporarily for few months. My job involved posting brochures out to clients. I found the job very repetitive and boring. Because I was doing the same job all day and every day the same. Over all the Company is good. But depends what job your doing. There is a lot of security to the job. I saw some single mums working there doing flexible hours on part time bases and they were very happy with their jobs.

Pros

They have free parking on site.

Cons

It is difficult to travel there without the car. I had to get lifts, when my car broke down.

Amazing place to work.

I thoroughly enjoyed working at YBS. They dont only care about their customers but they seriously care about their staff too. Unfortunately they couldn't keep me on which i was heartbroken about. The management are fantastic. Best place i've ever worked. If your offered a job at YBS i would 100% recommend taking the job!

Pros

They actually care about you. Great working hours!

Cons

Nothing...

Not the best company to work for

Job was ok not any room for progression. Level of pay is extremely poor. Branch manager was great but area manager unapproachable, unfriendly and not understanding of the area you work in.

Pros

Dental care

Cons

Weekend working, low pay, no progression

Not as family friendly as they like to promote.

As a parent and PT carer i was told a number of times that the branch is always the priority, they promote family friendly working but that message has not been recieved by all managers.It is also worth noting that you have to be at work 15 mins before you start to be paid, and often do not leave on time, this equals to a huge amout of unpaid work over a year.Wages are fair, and the benifits package is good.

Pros

Fair wage, good benifits

Cons

Not so family friendly

Was Extremely Proud to work here

I worked at YBS for 2.5 years as a Customer Consultant and can honestly say I absolutely loved working there. The work culture was the best I ever experienced and I feel YBS really do care about their customers and their staff. The salary, in my opinion is quite low, but there are no targets to hit and the atmosphere is very relaxed. My only reason for leaving is I would really have liked more hours but they were not available in the branch I worked from. I really felt proud to work here.

Pros

Friendly colleague's and manager. Good training. Great work culture.

Cons

Salary is quite low.

Recruitment Process

Fantastic recruitment experience, particularly given COVID challenges. A common sense approach and my from my interview and recruitment experience to date, YBS has been the only employer who actually called me when they said they would. A grounded culture and an environment that actually cares about your wellbeing. Could not ask for anything more on that front.

Pros

Well being, caring culture, great people

Cons

Constraints of not being able to meet face to face due to COVID challenges.

5 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent interview experience at YBS. Covid restrictions have presented many challenges for us all but it is great to know that this didn't impact on your recruitment experience. Congratulations on your new role and best wishes for your career with us.

Fun place to work caring staff with regards to their colleagues and customers.

Great place to work. Friendly and outgoing people. Very professional and knowledgable. Customers are always treated with respect and time to listen to their problems.

25 November 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time working at Bromley branch. It's so great to hear that you enjoyed working at YBS with such friendly colleagues. All the best for your future career.

lovely friendly and welcoming branch

I have been working for ybs for around one month. I feel I have settled in well with the help from my lovely new team. They have welcomed me into branch and been extremely helpful and patient when showing me my new role.I feel my manager is very fair and approachable something of which I have not had in previous jobs especially as I have young children and occasionally have had to change my days around slightly regarding child care, my manager has been very accommodating.I am really enjoying my new role and so grateful I have been given this opportunity especially during these tough times.The most enjoyable part of the job for me is meeting new people and being able to help them is very rewarding, I have particularly enjoyed opening an account for my customer from initial enquiry to finishThe most difficult part for me so far is getting use to all the different computer systems but after repetitive working it is most definitely all falling into place.I found the whole interview procedure very straight forward.I look forward to learning more as the time goes on.

Pros

friendly work collegues

25 November 2020
Welcome to YBS and thank you for leaving a review of your experience joining our Plymouth branch. It's great to know that the flexible working hours are helpful for your personal circumstances. Thank you for your hard work in providing a good experience for our customers during these difficult times. Best wishes for your career at YBS.

interview process and work lifestyle

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society now for a month and I can say it has been a very good experience for myself. Since the interview process up until now I have not come across any problems with the company and I have been very welcomed into the business. Especially in this unforeseen times, I already feel the company is very supportive in any type of situation. The interview process ran extremely well, being able to book your own interview time in the slots given is very helpful ensuring you can get a day that fits your lifestyle. I were made to feel extremely comfortable as soon as I entered the branch for the interview through to the end.The length of time you are waiting to see whether you get the job offer to me personally was extremely quick compared to other jobs I have applied for. It also fit the time scale I was informed of.

Pros

supportive team in branch

25 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your experience joining our Brighouse branch and welcome to YBS! Your feedback is really valuable to us and it is great to know that you found the interview process to be comfortable. Best wishes for your career here at YBS.

Great Place

I have been at the company for almost 2 months. The role is interesting and varied. My manager is really helpful and supportive, so I've been lucky in that sense. The training is currently mostly virtual and involves a lot of independent learning which I enjoy. The role itself is engaging and it seems like a good place to develop. The people are super friendly and make you feel at home from day 1. Overall, a good place to work & would recommend.

Pros

Free coffee, good people, nice office, training process is fun, free parking onsite, close to loads of food places, decent pay

Cons

Canteen food isnt anything special

12 October 2020
Thank you for your positive review of your experience working at YBS so far. It's great to know that you are enjoying the workplace environment and we wish you all the best in your career with us!

Easy going people

Helpful people in the team and in general. So far there has been nothing concerning ,however some investment in technical skillset of teams should be implemented.This will help people to learn new skills as they move higher up in their career.The processes are a bit unorganized but can be streamlined.Clarity on the Covid situation is needed as i have not heard anything yet.The kit given to employees can be upgraded,overall it seems the company is far behind in their expenditure on the systems people use.This makes life difficult while working.

Pros

good work life balance

Cons

not as organized network/processes

12 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It’s great to hear the positives from your time here so far. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the digital side of the business and we have taken this on board. We are currently in the middle of a large digital upgrade program which we are sure will provide employees with a more user friendly IT experience.

Striving to be a great place to work

YBS tries to be a great place to work and was actively seeking to improve with forums with the executive in the year I was there. There were some senior managers that I felt were out of their depth and had real problems in balancing a great place to work with some tough business decisions but overall I really enjoyed my time with the company and would be happy to work there again

Pros

Striving to be a great place to work

Cons

Some mixed thinking from some managers

29 September 2020
Thank you for leaving a positive review of your time working at YBS. It's great to know that you enjoyed your time with us and we wish you all the best for your next role.

Great Place To Work

I recently started at the company and I have been welcomed in amazingly. Being employed during covid 19 I am very appreciative of the company to have taken me on even through these tough times. The structure of the company is a breath of fresh air compared to what I was used to previously. Being a building society and in the banking services, there are strict regulations in place and it takes a lot of learning and upkeep, with regular performance meetings. As long as you are open minded and have the ability to take criticism and learn from it you will be fine. Majority of the customers are friendly and my personal experience with my branch team has been brilliant. You have to work the occasional Saturday for 3 hours (9-12) but you get to take this time off, as you build it up, in the week, i.e. go home early or you can bank this time off known as TOIL and have an entire day off. I had 6 hours worth of TOIL, and a working day you work 7 hours so I asked to take two lunches as half hour breaks making up the extra hour I needed for a full day off. So far great place to work!

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

High street parking

25 November 2020
Thank you for leaving a review of your experience joining our Lowestoft branch and welcome to YBS! it's great to know that you are enjoying the flexible working hours. Best wishes for your career at YBS.

Friendly workplace

A friendly and welcoming workplace where customer service is put first. Technical training is provided and is supported by regular conversations with colleagues and management to ensure new starters are happy with what they've learnt.

Pros

Friendly Colleagues, Online development courses.

18 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience working in one of our branches. We are a friendly bunch here at YBS! It's great to know that you feel supported in your training and development. If you ever have any suggestions for how we can improve our training, support or general processes feel free to use our Bright Ideas suggestions box on the intranet.

Overall enjoyable

Very good atmosphere, a good sense of team work with really good support from all over the business. The wage is very low for what you do and the wage increase each year is nothing compared to inflation. Good annual bonus.

Pros

Good atmosphere, friendly colleagues.

Cons

Wages

17 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for sharing your positive comments about the atmosphere at YBS. We strive to create a great working environment and it's good to know this is being felt across the organisation.

Demoralizing and harsh

Aggression, intimidation and bullying by management in customer communications dept. Awful place to work where managers are allowed this kind of behaviour.

17 August 2020
At YBS we pride ourselves on our culture of inclusion and support and take the statements you make very seriously. I would be grateful if you would make contact with recruitment@ybs.co.uk to share your concerns so we can investigate fully.

I developed all my customer service skills at YBS, skills that have allowed me to go on and be the best at each role I do. Highly recommended, the training was first class and really prepared you for the role.

Pros

Good culture, strong leadership among managers, progression and internal options

Cons

Can be face paced at times.

20 August 2020
Thank you for your positive review of your time working at YBS and we are pleased to know that the training has helped you to develop. Best wishes for future career!

Great staff and professional management

Well worth applying for a job, flexible working practices and great office with pool table and in house restaurant all help to make the day pass much quicker

20 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review of your time working at YBS. We're looking forward to getting back to that pool table as soon as circumstances allow us to :-) Best wishes for your future career!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yorkshire Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare Yorkshire Building Society with

• Yorkshire Building Society
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?