Youth Hostel Association

Youth Hostel Association Employee Reviews

YHA is in a good place

A fun and friendly place to work...pity I had to leave . One of the best teams I have worked with over 30 yrs. If they have the right role for you.. go for it.

Job’s a good in .

A great place to work all staff are friendly and helpful and management are always there if you need them for any problems you might have .all in all a good place to work.đź‘Ť

Pros

Free coffee.

Cons

Sometimes it’s not busy.

Nice staff, bad workplace

Very little training on a hard to understand system. Part time work but spread out over 5 days. Lovely staff and friendly workers who deserved better than the way they were treated. Due to covid, they dismissed all staff apart from a few. Range of guests stayed and you meet a lot of interesting people, but you also have to deal with a lot of difficult customers too. Job role included housekeeping, reception work, kitchen, bartending and barista work.

Pros

Cheap meals, free stays, friendly staff

Cons

Illegal shift patterns, management, no advancing in role

Enjoyable work in stunning locations

I loved going in to work, and the people were always good company. The work was fine, good training and enjoyable culture, meeting the public, preparing food and domestic duties. My only quibble was not enough hours at one of the hostels I worked at, as the size of the hostel and no food being prepared meant it only required minimal staffing.

Pros

Stunning locations

Cons

Not enough hours

Great team, fun workplace

It was great to be a part of this company. It helped me improve my skills and level up my experience. Great employee support and perfect benefits like free staff stay in any YHA hostel

productive challenging at times

work as a team its like working as one big family can be challenging but very worth while also acheive qualifications ten free stays at any hostels bupa health discounts on shopping groceries and buses

Pros

ten free stays meet different people

Cons

can be long hours

Not willing to compromise to ensure morale

Unwilling to negotiate a flexible working request so that I can secure a work life balance. Currently appealing but I am very unhappy at the job. It pays low for what they expect of you and after 3 or so years they aren't willing to give back.

Poor work life balance

Employees are expected to 'give their all' to the point of sacrificing their work life balance to work for the YHA. The wages are poor for the level of commitment required for a management position.

Great place to meet people

Great place to work, allways busy with plenty to do if that is what you want in a job. Friendly customers 99.9% of the time. Positive attitude helps a lot.

Enjoyed meeting people from all walks of life

Enjoyed my time at YHA loved meeting and working with people from all walks of live from all over the world made some great friends and contacts only seasonal

The job isnt even a bad job the management are just absolutely terrible. The management gossip about team members to other team members then deny it when things get taken further. The deputy manager doesnt know how to string a rota together or deal with any issues at that! Ridiculous stuff like 3 staff members for 100+ departs. Then if a staff member mentions anything she'll completely deny that anything is her fault. No please or thank yous. The staff turnover is ridiculous because it is so poorly run! You're just a number to them and dont mean anything to them until it suits them. When they want shifts covering and favours. Staff have had time off denied for funerals. Absolutely disgusting! Been accused of not genuinely being off sick when staff are genuinely off sick. Manager needs shooting tbh. Was this review helpful?

Fun workplace but quite stressful at times.

I met some of the best people whilst working here. However, as I worked in one of the London locations, the job was very stressful at times. We had to deal with a lot of rude and unpleasant customers and you didn't always have the support of management behind you. The hours can be long and late shifts can feel unsociable, but overall a good place to work.

Terrible

Lots of bullying and back stabbing in the larger hostels. Staff left to lone work in potentially dangerous situations (night staff at weekends with drunk and aggressive guests) not a nice environment- your just a number to them and funnily enough I’m not the only one to mention on here as soon as they don’t want you they will just get rid of you.

Pros

Cons

Long hours - bullying culture deep within Yha

good company

I was a good company. I have learned many things while working there. The management was fine. I enjoyed everything there. I enjoyed dealing with customers of different back ground doing their bookings and stuff.

Temporary summer job

Pay was dire but it was a lot of fun. Could certainly have done with more actual adults running the shop as we were all aged around 19, and after some really challenging events it would have been useful to have experience at hand.

Good entry level job

It's a good enough company to work for. good to gain experience. I had good experience in hostels and it is the best one in terms of benefits. I would recommend it to young people wanting to get a first job

Huge disappointment

I really liked working for YHA- people were great, I loved being around the guests etc. I was getting good feedback from my collegues, so you can imagine my shock and disappointment when I got fired exactly when the probation period ended. The managment lied to my face accusing me of making mistakes I have never done. They made me feel awful- guilty and ashamed- because they didn't want to admit that they don't need a part-time employee. Also I wasn't provided with any real training, I had to learn everything on my own by asking my collegues who were often very busy and simply couldn't train me. They are looking for people who are able to really dedicate themselves to the job, don't expect a good job/life balance (sometimes you will get e.g. 14 shifts with no days off).

Pros

Great team, free coffee, staff parties, nice guests

Cons

Everything else

Friendly team

Brilliant place to work, The Management provides excellent training with many opportunities to further your career. Additionally, The company encourages work with charities and the benefits of the job are amazing, including perks like free Bupa healthcare and discounts at hundreds of stores.

Good Summer job

I have had a temporary contract with YHA for the summer.. the work itself is fine, changing beds, making food, working at reception, however I wasn’t always a fan of the hours, on reception shifts do nishing at 11pm one night to then have start work again, making breakfast and changing beds at 7.30am the next day isn’t fun But otherwise I would say it is a job worth doing temporarily. I would also mention that it can be very busy and tiring some days.

Pros

Early finish most days, around 3pm

Cons

Split shifts, late finish to early start

Inteligencia organizativa

El ejemplo del buen trabajo viene desde los altos cargos, pasando por cada uno de nosotros (necargados y empleados) llegando al cliente final, mostrando la inteligencia la servicio de un hotel como el Yha en Ambleside (The Lakes District)

Friendly and engaging atmosphere

I really enjoyed working at the YHA. I felt that I developed many skills in many areas and I enjoyed the customer facing aspect of the job. I felt very much part of the team and would encourage anyone looking for a summer job to apply!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Hostel Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement