Yummy Scrummy Bakery

Yummy Scrummy Bakery Employee Reviews

Great company which is growing, very passionate regarding bakery and it roles out throughout all cafes.

Overall great passionate company to work for. Owners have high standards and the staff are expected to follow which is a great postive element of this company. Fast pace on a daily basis, so you have tobe prepared to work hard. Theres room for progression if you are willing to put the work in. Owners are supportive as they can be . Honesty is a must fab growong company all round.

I have worked at three of the family run cafes as a supervisor and only left for a career change. Each day was different with new challenges and goals and there is always something new to learn and all the teams were great to work with and were very supportive of each other.There are fantastic prospects for progression and staff are encouraged to train in all areas. The owners are very friendly, supportive and happy to help out in any way they can. The pay is very competitive and the owners as far as possible try to accommodate working hours and holiday. They are also happy to listen to any recommendations/ideas which makes you feel valued. Though a family run company it is expanding rapidly due to their success so career opportunities are there for the right people. If i ever change career again i wouldn't hesitate to go back to yummy scrummy, i miss it. I would highly recommend working here to anyone who wants a career in hospitality/catering or indeed to any students who just want to earn some extra money. If you have a good work ethic you will be well rewarded.

Family run business, fast paced but a excellent place to work!!

I have been working for this company for over a year now and I must say it’s a excellent place to work! As it’s a family run business the owners are very hands on and it’s great to work along side them recognising you hard work! I started managing one of their sites at Devoran and have now moved up to Operations Manager for the whole company and I get to go around working in all 5 cafes!. The pay is also great and I would highly recommend working for this company!!

Great company to work for. Family run cafe, owners are lovely and very understanding. Pay is great too. It is a fast paced place to work. I first started of as pot wash at 16 and worked my way up to kitchen manager over the course of 2 years. Very friendly and fun place to work with lovely team members too. I left on really good terms, received all my holiday pay and a great reference. Thanks guys.

Fast paced but fun place to work!!

Have been working at the Devoran branch for over a year now and have fully enjoyed my time with the company so far. Started off as a kitchen assistant, moved up to kitchen manager and now am general manager. Work within a large team of people, with varying personalities but everyone gets along and has a laugh at the end of the day!! The owners are absolutely lovely and often pop down to see how everyone is doing and are always ready to jump in and lend a hand if needed.

Pros

Lots of opportunity for job progression

Cons

Surrounded by cake all day ( Not a good place to diet :( )

Great Bakery Unit to work in

Really enjoyed working here. The manager of the unit is really nice and the owners were always pleasant when they came in too. It's a relaxed atmosphere, so you can listen to music etc while you bake. Had regular breaks and they give you a discount at the cafe over the road. They take on seasonal staff and have full-time staff. I would come back and work for them next year as good rates of pay too. They expect you to work hard, but that's not a problem.

10 February 2020
Thanks for your kind words. You'll always be welcome back at the bakery :)

Avoid like the plague

They take people on thinking they have assured contractd, make you work your socks off filling their freezer then lay you off after 3 weeks.Then tell HMRC you earnt more than you did, and dont reply to letters or messages. High turn over of staff.

10 February 2020
This review is fictitious. You can clarify with our accounts department as no-one was employed this November or December for a 3 week period.

Supportive and caring employer

Great company to work for! At times it can be stressful but this is the case with any company in the cafe/ catering trade. I received full support with work/life balance, the owners were very understanding when my children were poorly etc. As the trade can be seasonal, the company obviously take on extra staff during busy times (school holidays etc) but they definitely do not 'kick them to the curb' once the season has finished, in fact, many students return season after season and some have gone on to be full time employees which I feel speaks for itself.

Pros

Discounted food while on shift

10 February 2020
Thanks for your kind words. We love having staff who return to us year after year too, and encourage people to work up through the ranks :)

Don’t work here

Awful company to work for. They will threaten your job security constantly. Only good perk was the pay was good but not enough to work for a vile company

10 February 2020
Again I hate having to respond to reviews like this, but I think handing your notice in the day before Christmas Eve and leaving your colleagues to pick up the pieces says it all really. The flip side is that the team were actually relieved when you did this which speaks volumes too, and this is a team of really great people who enjoy being part of the company and are all still with us.

Nice place to work

Just your standard cafe- has it's crazy days and quiet days. If you like keeping busy and serving customer it's a good job. I was given two days of training before starting on shift. Surprised by other reviews- owners seemed pretty decent people and were good to work for. I left at the end of the holiday season and would go back to work again in uni holidays. (I was paid holiday pay.)

10 February 2020
We hope you come back from Uni in time for crazy season, as would love to have you with us for another year :)

Wouldn’t even bother applying

Offer great pay, but clearly just to entice you in to the job in the first place. Never been more shocked by the lack of cleanliness in a hospitality business, other employees clearly were not bothered by these low standers either. Bend over backwards for this business and get nothing in return.

10 February 2020
We are a small enough business and care about our employees to know each and everyone of them, so the reviews that are on here are obvious to us as to who they are written by. As I have said in a previous response we don't always get it right picking the correct candidate for the job. This person actually left on what I thought was good terms after being with us for only 6 weeks- returning to their previous job as the position wasn't for them. A mutual agreement that I think turned out to be not so amicable as we were lead to believe. With regards to the cleaning in their managerial role this was something that they were supposed to organise and keep on top of to maintain our good food hygiene level.

Terrible nasty owner

Horrible Owner, expects you to bend over backwards for them and if you don’t the vile abuse and language they use is disgusting. The staff turnover is stupid at least 39 staff in the last 12 months since I started. Avoid at all costs this company will throw you to the curb once they are done with you and only interested in making money and not the staff. No fuel paid or holidays paid.

10 February 2020
All parts to the contract like fuel allowances are discussed at interview. This is normally something that is only offered to general managers as they travel between locations. Holiday pay is paid at the time taken and if any is accrued and owing when an employee leaves it is paid to them in their last pay check. As in most businesses if the employee breaks their contract and gives no notice period they forfeit their holiday pay. This is one of the very rare occasions where I would prefer not to give the person reviewing a reference and when they applied on two separate occasions for other jobs in the company we did not feel it right or fair on the other staff to bring them back into the business.

Fast-paced and sometimes stressful, good pay and lovely owner/manager

Often goes from 0-100 so need to be prepared for that. pay well and the owner/manager is a lovely boss. You have to be very hands on to fit in and get on well.

Con artists

Vile people who get offer you big money to write recipes, get them set up then kick you to the curb and pay someone minimum wage to take over. Avoid at all costs. They've got a well known reputation in the bakers community in this county of using and abusing skilled bakers for short term gain!

Pros

Cons

Cons ha that's what they do.

10 February 2020
I'm actually very wary of writing a response to this review as this person came at us through social media too. It's best to read some of the other reviews for Baker Toms and the other places he's worked at and you will see a pattern emerging and can make up your own mind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yummy Scrummy Bakery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement