ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON

Working at ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON: Latest ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews

Great location and the staff are all friendly, it can be a bit difficult to get things done but it is a very complex organisation so it makes sense there needs to be a lot of processes.

A world where people thrive

I have absolutely enjoyed working here. The people are nice and truly care about one another. ZSL, as an organisation, is very committed to the wellbeing of their employees and has brought in some fantastic new polices in terms of agile working, wellbeing and Diversity & inclusion initiatives over the last 2 years.

Insights into ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Lovely staff, iffy management

The people care so much about the animals and the zoo as a whole, but the decisions come from ppl in the offices who usually have never worked in the zoo, so their decisions were often not practical.Not enough was done to protect the public-facing staff.

Pros

Discounts, free zoo tickets, seeing animals, kind staff

Cons

Not amazing pay, management is frustrating and often don't know what they're doing, prioritise animals based on the profit they bring

Volunteer

Was flexible volunteer days, but days done were quite long. Gained a lot of experience and was able to expand my skills in behavioural observations with different species.

Competitive

Replenish the store when it still close, help the guest when it's open, jump on tills when necessary. I learned a lot, for example how to be multi tasks. Management is good. Their culture is the guest come first. The hardest part of the job were the collegues, the enviroment was too competitive. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the amazing variety of animals and that you were working to feed and help the animals.

Pros

Charity

Cons

Competition

Fantastic

Working in this Company is so amazing. A lot of challenge and people I work with are very warm and helpful. A lot of training that helps me growing. Very challenging atmosphere.

Varied and enjoyable work

Interesting place to work with lots of passionate people. Working with wildlife is a fantastic experience and cause and a completely different environment to work in.

The most enjoyable part of the job.

Being able to see the animals and build friendships with the rest of the ZSL team whilst aiding encouraging visitors around the Zoo has been an amazing experience. No two days are the same.

Working at ZSL was great. It has such a great team of people and an important message to be a part of. Always interesting and great opportunities to be a part of.

lovely environment to work in

Lovely place to work, but to have work every weekend is not promoting a healthy family environment. A visit to the zoo is supposed to be about family and friends, but with this job there is no work balance as you are expected to work every weekend. Salary needs to include weekend enhancements to either encourage weekend working and be worth sacrificing family time.hot

lovely place to work

as above. friendly staff and team. love being near the animals too. i have learned to be more confident with money handling and dealing face to face with the public.

Varied work for a good cause

High levels of organisational change requires hard work and flexibility - challenging and not easy but all for a good cause. Opportunity to work with some great people from a range of areas, from retail to conservation projects.

Fun and special

Hardest part is working outside in cold winter months. Best parts are being able to come up close with the zoo animals and engage with them. Fun to help create enrichment toys for the animals

Amazing experience

Once in a life time experience, worked in close contact with general public providing information and assisted on talks. Also help provide daily feed for the animals and upkeep of the zoo.

fun workplace with friendly staff

the staff were very friendly and you made a lot of friends through it. The team leaders would try and make you feel as fairly treated and as comfortable as you can.

Cons

no lunch breaks

nice

great place. enjoyable location, interesting and progressive. opportuinites, would love to return for more work . super culture. driven employees who love their work

very friendly staff to work with

My typical day at work was tidying up and re-stocking the shop, I learned how to work within a massive team of staff. The management wasnt the best I have had but was ok. the most enjoyable part of the job was the staff

A Fun and Invaluable Experience.

The absolute best place to work! A perfect balance between theory and practical work. We were introduced to the amazing life of working with wildlife whilst also being provided with practical skills that we can use in other areas of life. The people that I encountered were friendly and were willing to help with anything I needed. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the range of different animals I worked with, it really opened my eyes as to the wonders of wildlife. I felt safe the whole time I was there and knew if there were any issues there were multiple places that I could go to for help.

Two surveys completed as part of my degree field work

January - April 2017 volunteered and participated in two surveys. The first was the Freshwater Bivalve Survey in the Upper Tidal Thames, which looked at how many of the native and invasive species were present to monitor the ecosystem and confirm that the invasive species have not progressed any further. The second was Secrets of the Solent Shoresearch, which was identification of species at the beachfront.

Good for full time joseekers...

I had a overall good experience and the busy day-to-day workplace positively challenged me with the different tasks or placements in sections everyday (from counter serving, being runner on the dinning floor or working in the kitchen). I found management very helpful and encouraging all staff to improve and grow in the company. I would of stayed at this employment if it was closer to my home. And if I had not struggled to keep the balance being a full-time student with their fixed working hours.

Pros

Good pay, friendly staff and helpful management.

Cons

Long hours (very fixed/set) and short breaks.

Ambiente muy divertido y profesional

Fue un trabajo bastante desafiante, a menudo recibíamos hasta 10'000 personas al dia y teníamos que servir a todos, y gracias a esto aprendí a trabajar rapidamente y en grupo. Al mismo tiempo fue un trabajo muy divertido y satisfactorio.

Pros

Horas muy buenas

Cons

no contras

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON with

ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON reviews by location

• ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?