ZSL London Zoo

ZSL London Zoo Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Lovely staff, iffy management

The people care so much about the animals and the zoo as a whole, but the decisions come from ppl in the offices who usually have never worked in the zoo, so their decisions were often not practical.Not enough was done to protect the public-facing staff.

Pros

Discounts, free zoo tickets, seeing animals, kind staff

Cons

Not amazing pay, management is frustrating and often don't know what they're doing, prioritise animals based on the profit they bring

Volunteer

Was flexible volunteer days, but days done were quite long. Gained a lot of experience and was able to expand my skills in behavioural observations with different species.

Competitive

Replenish the store when it still close, help the guest when it's open, jump on tills when necessary. I learned a lot, for example how to be multi tasks. Management is good. Their culture is the guest come first. The hardest part of the job were the collegues, the enviroment was too competitive. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the amazing variety of animals and that you were working to feed and help the animals.

Pros

Charity

Cons

Competition

Fantastic

Working in this Company is so amazing. A lot of challenge and people I work with are very warm and helpful. A lot of training that helps me growing. Very challenging atmosphere.

The most enjoyable part of the job.

Being able to see the animals and build friendships with the rest of the ZSL team whilst aiding encouraging visitors around the Zoo has been an amazing experience. No two days are the same.

Working at ZSL was great. It has such a great team of people and an important message to be a part of. Always interesting and great opportunities to be a part of.

lovely place to work

as above. friendly staff and team. love being near the animals too. i have learned to be more confident with money handling and dealing face to face with the public.

Amazing experience

Once in a life time experience, worked in close contact with general public providing information and assisted on talks. Also help provide daily feed for the animals and upkeep of the zoo.

fun workplace with friendly staff

the staff were very friendly and you made a lot of friends through it. The team leaders would try and make you feel as fairly treated and as comfortable as you can.

Cons

no lunch breaks

very friendly staff to work with

My typical day at work was tidying up and re-stocking the shop, I learned how to work within a massive team of staff. The management wasnt the best I have had but was ok. the most enjoyable part of the job was the staff

A Fun and Invaluable Experience.

The absolute best place to work! A perfect balance between theory and practical work. We were introduced to the amazing life of working with wildlife whilst also being provided with practical skills that we can use in other areas of life. The people that I encountered were friendly and were willing to help with anything I needed. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the range of different animals I worked with, it really opened my eyes as to the wonders of wildlife. I felt safe the whole time I was there and knew if there were any issues there were multiple places that I could go to for help.

Good for full time joseekers...

I had a overall good experience and the busy day-to-day workplace positively challenged me with the different tasks or placements in sections everyday (from counter serving, being runner on the dinning floor or working in the kitchen). I found management very helpful and encouraging all staff to improve and grow in the company. I would of stayed at this employment if it was closer to my home. And if I had not struggled to keep the balance being a full-time student with their fixed working hours.

Pros

Good pay, friendly staff and helpful management.

Cons

Long hours (very fixed/set) and short breaks.

Ambiente muy divertido y profesional

Fue un trabajo bastante desafiante, a menudo recibĂ­amos hasta 10'000 personas al dia y tenĂ­amos que servir a todos, y gracias a esto aprendĂ­ a trabajar rapidamente y en grupo. Al mismo tiempo fue un trabajo muy divertido y satisfactorio.

Pros

Horas muy buenas

Cons

no contras

good workplace

good staff and job security most enjoyable part of the job was conversing with the public, fantastic management, good job opportunities

Pros

discount

Cons

lack of shifts

good

good people to work with, amazing environment for working. Lots of standing. really fun place, very flexible workplace

fun workplace, average management

It was a great challenge for a long summer break and I met some interesting people who I still have great friendships with. The management are fun and energetic people. However this is just a temporary job role as the zoo is not open all year round and so the shifts are inconsistent, at this period I am not working there anymore.

Lively Work Place

A typical day working in retail at London Zoo starts with a morning briefing. In this briefing we all told the targets and sales from the previous day, and the layout of the days tasks. After the staff display and put out and delivery that has arrived from the warehouse that morning. After this is completed the next focus is customer service, staff members engage with customers and help with with their purchases to the best of their ability. Later in the day when the shops shut, floats are prepared and tills are cashed up for the next working day. Throughout my time at London Zoo I have learned a great deal.. Working within the retail and customer service industry has given me the ability to methodically solve problems quickly and effectively, particularly under pressure or in busy environments such as London Zoo. I have developed a good eye for detail and accuracy during my time of working in detail as it is the small things offered to customers that overall increase their enjoyment, and consequently encourage them to visit again.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

Not many weekends free.

Fun for a while

Working here was good, if you know you have set hours. One day a week ( SUNDAYS TOO) for 4 hours.

Pros

Good people

Cons

No hours

good

I worked as part of a team. We are all responsible for different areas of the ground so it is important that we work together. I am currently responsible for preparing the food for the animals. This has to be accurate to ensure they get the right diet.

Relaxed and fun place to work

I worked for a friend on her catering unit.The job entailed serving food to customers, stock taking, opening up the unit, changing gas bottles, taking delivery orders