When to use a job application form
Application forms are helpful for:
- Hiring entry-level talent
- Keeping track of candidates
- Hiring a lot of people over a short period of time
One advantage that job application forms have over CVs is that job applications can be based on templates. Because they’re standardised forms that candidates fill in themselves, it’s potentially much easier to compare applications for employment than CVs. Job application forms can give all of your jobseekers the same opportunity.
Effective applications for employment
Even the most generic application for employment is extremely versatile. A jobseeker can fill in a physical application for employment in person, or take it home and complete it in their own time. Jobseekers can fill in online job application forms whenever, wherever. Printable applications for employment in PDF format can be shared digitally, or printed and returned by the jobseeker. Effective job application forms are clear and concise. You’ll want to include defined spaces for important information.
Recommended fields to include:
- Candidate’s name
- Contact information
- Work experience
- Applicant’s signature and date
Things to consider
Helpful tips for getting the most out of your job application forms
- Don’t discard applications from people you didn’t hire.
- In addition to keeping your unused applications to hand, make sure that you keep track of the quality candidates you didn’t hire, even after you’ve filled your open positions. This way, the next time you’re hiring, you’ll already have a talent pool to draw from that you’ve already vetted.
- If you’re using our site to find your next employee, make sure that your candidates can complete every part of the job application process online. You can still have physical copies available for in-person applicants.
- If you’ve deployed your job application form correctly, you may receive more candidates than you might have anticipated. Indeed offers a great many tools to track, coordinate and assess all of your potential new employees.
For a more complete look at everything that goes into a great job application form, take a look at our sample employment application template.
*Indeed provides these examples as a courtesy to users of this site. Please note that we are not your HR or legal advisor, and none of these document reflect current labour or employment regulations.