Actuary job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of an Actuary job summary
We are looking for a Senior Actuary with expertise in investment and financial planning to join our growing team. The Senior Actuary will be responsible finding solutions to balance costs and risks, conducting regular rate analysis, researching and pricing products and financial product development. The right candidate will apply his or her talents at our progressive, growing company and enjoy advantages such as the opportunity for professional growth and a comprehensive benefits package.
Actuary responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports
- Use pricing models to perform analysis
- Monitor market for current prices and products and prepare competitive analysis reports
- Handle preparation and submission for filings of long-term care rates
- Design and price insurance policies and pensions and ensure plans are financially sound
Actuary qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science or related discipline
- 5+ years’ experience evaluating insurance and pension plans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to clearly explain complex statistics and technical details
- Advanced computer skills, including understanding of databases, spreadsheets and statistical analysis software
- Strong attention to detail