What does a Chief of Staff do?
A Chief of Staff’s work involves managing all financial and administrative activities in an organisation, acting as a point of contact between top management and stakeholders and providing insight into the most essential projects. They prioritise and coordinate critical issues and find essential information that is pertinent for the Chief Executive to have in order to make good business decisions.
Chief of Staff skills and qualifications
A successful Chief of Staff candidate will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications that typically include:
- Strong leadership, management and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organise, manage and direct large teams in multiple departments
- Strategic planning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise important tasks over others
- Ability to analyse and compile a large amount of data and come up with conclusive results
- Ability to motivate, coordinate and ensure proper time-management among reports
Chief of Staff experience requirements
Chiefs of Staff typically require over eight years of experience in an executive or business management role and a track record of department and team management. They must also have experience performing tasks such as planning and leading strategic activities, budget preparation, budget management, data analysis and project coordination. Experience with Google Sheets and Excel for reporting and analysis is also vital.
Chief of Staff education and training requirements
Chiefs of Staff must have a master’s degree in business administration, finance or similar field for consideration. Candidates with bachelor’s degrees in similar fields and a proven track record of successful team management can also be considered. However, they need to have many years of experience in the industry and a deep understanding of company operations.
Chief of Staff salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary of a Chief of Staff in the UK, is £69,148 per year. This figure varies depending on factors including experience, education, geographical location and company.
Job description samples for similar positions
Other job description samples are available if this is not quite what you’re looking for: