Computer Operator job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Computer Operator job summary
Our company is in need of a talented and focused Computer Operator to monitor and control our computer systems. Since we’re currently expanding, we need a strong candidate who is excited about the opportunity to manage and improve the performance of an increasingly large network. Applicants should be ready to quickly troubleshoot hardware and software problems. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to analyse system problems from a variety of angles in order to find the root cause and fix it quickly. The Computer Operator should also possess great verbal and written communication skills and the willingness to learn everything about our computer system.
Computer Operator responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Handle maintenance and operation of our computer systems
- Set controls on computers and other devices, respond accordingly when errors occur and maintain records of job runs
- Analyse common issues and take steps to reduce or eliminate them, and collaborate with other IT personnel and seek help from supervisors to develop relevant solutions
- Perform preventative maintenance on hardware and software, troubleshoot malfunctions and call for repairs as needed
- Maintain equipment inventories and order supplies and hardware accordingly
- Ensure the security and privacy of the system for our clients
Computer Operator qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- At least two years of experience as a Computer Operator or related role
- HNC or higher in computer science or related field
- Excellent problem solving skills
- The capability to work well in high-pressure situations
- Great written and verbal communication ability
- The willingness to learn the technical skills needed to manage our computer system, including use of network monitoring software and database software