What does a Chief Technology Officer do?
A Chief Technology Officer forms part of a company’s executive team. They are responsible for developing technical strategies that support and encourage business growth. T here is a direct link between a company’s technological infrastructure and the realisation of its business visions and goals. The role of a CTO is to focus on this all-important link to consider and anticipate an organisation’s needs when making decisions regarding technological advancements. A CTO often works closely together with a Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Chief Technology Officer skills and qualifications
To succeed at this job, CTOs need a blend of skills, ranging from technical knowledge to business acumen to interpersonal skills. One of the most important skills these professionals need is the ability to communicate clearly and effectively. For example, A CTO needs to explain complex terms when relaying business information to technical staff and technical information to business personnel. Other important skills this profession requires include:
- Strong leadership skills to effectively steer a company’s technological efforts and developments
- Strong decision-making skills to make choices that directly impact a company’s profitability
- An in-depth understanding of a company’s challenges and objectives to effectively align technical strategies
- Excellent organisational skills to successfully coordinate the efforts of an IT department
- The ability to think strategically, anticipate future developments and provide technical vision
- Excellent time-management skills and the ability to prioritise tasks to cope with the multifaceted nature of the job
- A willingness to stay up to date regarding the latest technological advances
- A solid understanding of business processes and functions
Chief Technology Officer experience requirements
CTO positions typically require extensive experience in multiple business areas. Employers will likely want to see a proven track record of successfully partnering with other executives to drive technological innovation and business growth. In addition, candidates may need to show three to five years of experience in leading teams, managing budgets and delivering new products to market.
Chief Technology Officer education and training requirements
The minimum education requirement for a CTO is typically a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or business management. However, employers tend to favour candidates with postgraduate qualifications. A Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) with specialisation in Information Technology is a popular option, as the course develops a candidate’s technical expertise and business acumen.
Chief Technology Officer salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Chief Technology Officer is £88,635 per year. Salaries vary, however, depending on factors like location and employer.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description doesn’t describe the job opening you have, here are a few job description samples of similar positions to consider: