Dental Assistant job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Dental Assistant job summary
Our busy dental practice is searching for a dedicated Dental Assistant who can keep the examination rooms clean and assist during patient appointments. We need someone who can perform basic dental procedures, such as cleanings and patient x-rays, and maintain complex client records with the utmost confidentiality. The ideal candidate for this position has an orthodontic background and experience working with patients of all ages.
Dental Assistant responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Prepare examination and surgical rooms by sterilising instruments and moving equipment into place
- Assist in updating and maintaining client dental records
- Perform routine dental cleanings and assist in the performance of more complicated surgical procedures
- Provide support to dentists, surgeons and staff as needed
- Offer patients advice and materials necessary to maintain good dental health
- Prevent the spread of infection and disease by maintaining a surgically clean work environment
Dental Assistant qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- HNC or equivalent in dental hygiene required
- Must be registered as a dental nurse or higher with the GDC
- 2+ years’ experience as a Dental Assistant
- Comprehensive understanding of dental instruments
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong knowledge of computer programs such as MS Office