HGV Mechanic job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so jobseekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a HGV Mechanic job summary
Our team is currently looking for an experienced HGV Mechanic to keep up our level of commitment to safety and customer service. In this role, the successful candidate will perform truck repair and maintenance work in accordance with factory and industry standards, run diagnostics on vehicles and work closely with other team members to meet company goals. This is a fabulous opportunity for a knowledgeable, hardworking HGV Mechanic to apply his or her skills in a company that offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits.
HGV Mechanic responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the employee reports to.
- Perform minor and major repairs on lorries and trailers
- Conduct regular preventative maintenance on service lorries, including inspection, tyre rotation and oil changes
- Maintain parts inventory and cleanliness in the shop
- Collaborate with repair team to diagnose problems with vehicles and plan repairs
- Perform regular diagnostic tests on trucks
- Maintain accurate records of each repair performed on vehicles
HGV Mechanic qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful employee. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- 5+ years’ experience as an HGV Mechanic
- Must possess a valid Category C Licence
- Ability to lift up to 150 pounds
- Excellent reading and writing skills
- HGV Mechanic Certification an asset