What does a Hotel Front Desk Clerk do?
Hotel Front Desk Clerk’s ensures that hotel guests receive the service and attention they require during their stay. As the first point of contact in a hotel, Hotel Front Desk Clerks handle most of the requests, queries and complaints of guests. Effective employees strive to get to know their guests better through conversation, allowing them to make appropriate recommendations regarding services and local venues or tourist destinations in the area.
Hotel Front Desk Clerk skills and qualifications
As Hotel Front Desk Clerks are the first point of contact for guests, they need to be both friendly and professional at all times. They need excellent interpersonal skills and should genuinely enjoy interacting with people. A successful Hotel Front Desk Clerk will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications that typically include:
- Superior customer service skills to ensure that guests enjoy their stay
- A presentable appearance and good hygiene to properly represent a company
- Basic IT skills, including knowledge of the relevant booking and payment systems
- Good listening skills to adequately gauge the needs of guests
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively share information with clients
- Strong administrative and organisational skills to effectively deal with bookings and other administrative tasks
- The ability to multitask, as they often need to deal with multiple clients and responsibilities simultaneously
Hotel Front Desk Clerk experience requirements
Depending on the position, a Hotel Front Desk Clerk may need previous experience in a similar position. However, previous experience in the hospitality industry or a customer-service environment, together with in-house training, could also adequately equip a candidate for this position.
Hotel Front Desk Clerk education and training requirements
There are no specific education or training requirements for this position. In general, candidates need at least a GCSE in maths and English to prove they have adequate literacy and numeracy skills. Candidates can also obtain qualifications such as a Level 2 Certificate or Level 3 Diploma in Hospitality from a higher education college. Another way that candidates can gain the necessary skills is to go through a hospitality team member intermediate apprenticeship.
Hotel Front Desk Clerk salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Commercial Manager is £8.97 per hour. However, salaries will vary depending on factors like the size and location of the hotel and the level of experience of the Hotel Front Desk Clerk.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description doesn’t exactly describe the job opening you currently have, here are a few job description samples of similar positions to look at: